x axis stuck

aniket

Posted · x axis stuck

Perhaps we could offer some advice if you told us what sort of printer you use. It could be your axis need cleaning or some oil, it could be that your axes are not perpendicular, it could be belts getting stuck.

Posted · x axis stuck
    32 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

Perhaps we could offer some advice if you told us what sort of printer you use. It could be your axis need cleaning or some oil, it could be that your axes are not perpendicular, it could be belts getting stuck.

I ULTIMAKER PRINTER AND EVER WEEKEND DOING OILING AND BELT ARE TIGHT 

BTW THANKS FOR REPLYING

Posted · x axis stuck

I think you might have over-tightened the shift-key on your keyboard.

With the power turned off, can you move around the printhead by hand? Do you feel any change in resistance?

Belts can also be too tight, and there can be too much oil (which can congeal/get dirty and stiff). Pictures and/or a short video could be helpful in diagnosing the issue.

Posted · x axis stuck

Hi there, 

To follow up on this, I am feeling a lot of resistance moving the print head to the right on the x-axis, but not while moving it to the left. Do you know what this might entail? Also, when the print head tries to move right during a print, a loud noise is made, and I cannot tell where it is coming from. I am wondering whether this is a symptom of a belt that is too tight?

Many thanks!

Posted · x axis stuck

Is this an issue when the printer is moving the print head?  Or when you are pushing the head with your hand?

Posted · x axis stuck

So, in a way both.

When moving manually, the print head resists movement to the right much more than when moving to the left. I notice the resistance when I am about halfway across the x-axis. 

When, I have a print going, or anytime the print head needs to move right, I can't tell whether it's a short or long belt issue. I am thinking it skips a tooth or something, but everything looks fine to me with the pulleys and I have tightened the belts.

This also causes the shaft to come undone in the sliding blocks which in turn causes the y-limit to not be activated since the shaft is shifted to the right. If I put the print head in the center and home it, everything is smooth. I'll see if I can get a video here.

Posted · x axis stuck

Here is a good example. Sorry for the quality.

IMG_2139_MOV_AdobeExpress.gif

Posted · x axis stuck

Sounds like a purely mechanical issue then.  I totally get about the rod slipping and missing the Y limit.  That implies the resistance is in that rod/bearing junction.

You can pop that rod out of both sliding blocks and tilt it (and the head) and check for resistance in that bearing.  It should be very low.  I'm not sure but I expect that giving the print head a 20% tilt is plenty for the rod to start sliding.

Have you tried oiling that rod (and all 6 rods in the gantry)?  It probably needs cleaning.

Unlike the bearings in the sliding blocks, the 2 bearings inside the print head have ball bearings inside.  In theory they don't need any oil.  In practice a tiny bit of oil is helpful.  One drop is plenty.

You might want to replace the bearing.  Or try cleaning the rod and/or the bearings.  If you remove the bearing you can try cleaning it with lots of wd-40 or other solvent then dry it then add a drop of oil to the rod and check friction.

Sometimes bearings seem fine with no load but under load there is a problem.  Sometimes a bearing ball cracks in half.  More likely something sticky got in the bearings (e.g. dried cola, hair spray, pva).

If uncleanable, you can get replacement bearings or rods from your reseller.  It looks like you are in the USA so fbrc8.com is your friend.  They only list a few replacement parts but they have absolutely every part as they also assembled your printer (they assemble all Ultimaker printers sold in USA).  You can email them about parts not listed on their store at support@fbrc8.com.

UltiMaker has great videos on how to take the head apart (if necessary).