S5 not recognizing print cores

UMS5_VSM

Posted · S5 not recognizing print cores

I have an UMS5 at work and we recently had an unknown breakdown.  Long story short, someone messed something up which resulted in me having to source a new print head.  The new head came in and was simple enough to swap out when following the videos online.  After the replacement, I ran the machine through its calibration modes to get it ready to run.  Everything came out well enough without any major issue.  Today, I loaded up a Benchy print and left it to do its thing.  I came back to the printer and it had error-ed out after 18 minutes, displaying a motor communication fault.  The printer was rebooted and stated that one of the print cores was not loaded.  (The cores had not been touched since the failed print).  I tried to unload/load the core and it would not recognize them.  Every once in awhile it would show one loaded after a reboot, but would eventually show no core in either the 1st or 2nd bay.  I did a factory reset from the menu and it did not make a difference.  I suspected there may be a connection issue in the print cable so i disconnected and reconnected the head, but nothing.  I even tried hooking up the old head and it did the same thing.  The cores do not seem to be an issue because I ran all 4 different cores through with the same result.  Is it possible the cable it bad or a connection issue on the main board itself?  I have not checked that, since I do not have a security torx driver in the office.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

1 hour ago, UMS5_VSM said:

displaying a motor communication fault.

I hope this was a print head communication error?

The most likely culprits (in my experience) are:

- the pins in the print head connecting to the printcore are dirty, dust and grease can make this happen, just clean them with some alcohol and a q-tip.

- the cable could have developed breaks and might need to be replaced.

- the cable can start to move, it is claimed in by the print head but wear can make it start moving. A bit of tape around the cable right where it is clamped could stop this.

Given the recent change of printcore after never changing it the first one would really be my bet.

Let us know if it helps!

16 hours ago, robinmdh said:

I hope this was a print head communication error?

The most likely culprits (in my experience) are:

- the pins in the print head connecting to the printcore are dirty, dust and grease can make this happen, just clean them with some alcohol and a q-tip.

- the cable could have developed breaks and might need to be replaced.

- the cable can start to move, it is claimed in by the print head but wear can make it start moving. A bit of tape around the cable right where it is clamped could stop this.

Given the recent change of printcore after never changing it the first one would really be my bet.

Let us know if it helps!

I checked the pins and attempted to clean them, but the issue persisted across all four of my UM print cores and between two different print head assemblies.  One of these print head assemblies is brand new.

As for the cable, it may be the issue, but I checked it for continuity across all pins and it did not indicate a break.  Each wire of the cable also measured the same resistance, so I am not sure if it could be a short or not.  Either way, I will try to source a new cable to see if it fixes it.

Fingers crossed.

• 2 years later...

I have a similar issue. Previously, we had nozzles that were clogged. We finally got them cleaned, but it says that there is nothing in print core 2. I switched print cores, but still get the same message. It tries to accept the print core, but then nothing. It occasionally will make a grinding noise, after loading a print core.