Hemera extruder to UM2 or UM2+... anyone?

Posted · Hemera extruder to UM2 or UM2+... anyone?

Hi fellows!

Anyone thinking to try this new direct drive extruder from E3D in a UM2 or UM2+ series?? It looks really cool and promissing... 

Sadly my UM2(+) is not working for about 8 months... I’m just using my other printers (2x Artillery X1; Ender3 Pro with 32bits board/ 2209 TMCs and an MLCD resin printer).

I would love to reativate my UM2 but I’m looking to update some parts. Do you guys think that with Hemera I will must need to change my board to a Duet or some of the SKR ones? Which firmware tweeks should I make? I can design a mount for it... it will be definitly needed.

I’m going to MRRF this year (in march) and I’m thinking to bring some UM spare parts and the new stuffs to my country, Brazil 🙂

Thank you guys in advance and it’s good to be back to this forum after a while 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is in theory possible, if doing it I would anyway suggest to change MB, at least for a SKR, 32Bits, bette stepper driver etc...

But I see 2 problems. The hemera is gigger than the UM2 (+) printhead, it might limit your printing area... (Would need some work to not crash the head in the panels.

The spool holder at the back does not seem very optimal for direct drive extruders, You would have to relocate the spool holder.

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted (edited) · Hemera extruder to UM2 or UM2+... anyone?

Not to mention the Hemera is 1.75mm

(The Hemera does have a Bowden option, btw)

It's an interesting design and I bought two for upgrading my CR-10S and FT-6.  

E3D's mounting method leaves a lot to be desired.  Most of the mounts I have seen for the CR-10 style printers only screw into 3 locations.  There isn't a lot of depth in the provided mounting holes, too

My UM2+ is my tank and I would love to bring it up to date with better drivers, feeder and hot end.  

Edited by LePaul

just to get a feeling for the scale, original UM2 vs Hemera, both without fans

image.thumb.png.6ddc54493550b347b62dddf48f6f90b8.png

I've been looking at this as I would like one of my machines converted to direct drive for flexible materials. The hemera is to big for my taste, a pancake motor version would already be better. 

I'm also looking into a bondtech BMG + pancake + mosquito hotend, this looks a more interesting option imho.

• Like 1

Hi fergazz,

Just stay away from this setup as it is way to heavy for the Ultimaker gantry, only the stepper is almost twice the weight of the whole complete UM2 extruder unit. This will create lots of resonance lines in the print object and make your UM2 a "turtle 3D printer", as you cannot go at all to the normal speed. Why not go for an UM3 extruder?

Just my 5 p.

Good luck

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    • Like 1

I thought about the same Thing but opted for a Bondtech BMG + pancake + Hemera Hotside + custom heatsink:

IMG_20200529_213016.thumb.jpg.f8a955dd5ba76b6b717a430fb124237b.jpg

First test prints look good, but I am still testing this for reliability. 

But there is also a UM2 Head assembly with BMG-clone and V6-clone on the cheap on Aliexpress that I haven't tested. 

Edited by TheGrine

On 5/29/2020 at 11:41 PM, TheGrine said:

I thought about the same Thing but opted for a Bondtech BMG + pancake + Hemera Hotside + custom heatsink:

IMG_20200529_213016.thumb.jpg.f8a955dd5ba76b6b717a430fb124237b.jpg

First test prints look good, but I am still testing this for reliability. 

But there is also a UM2 Head assembly with BMG-clone and V6-clone on the cheap on Aliexpress that I haven't tested. 

Hello TheGrine, im interested in this configuration, could you please give me feedback of the configuration?

Did you have STL for the mount?

On 11/8/2020 at 4:16 PM, reject said:

Hello TheGrine, im interested in this configuration, could you please give me feedback of the configuration?

Did you have STL for the mount?

Sorry for the late reply, but I revised my mod quite a bit.

My original design was quite laborious, but I found a more elegant solution based on ultiarjan's suggestion:

www.thingiverse.com/thing:4873659

I just made two small accessories:

1) tube-holder: reuses the bowden-tube as cable-guide

2) Y-endstop-extender: BMG stepper motor will crash into the UM2 housing without it

You will also need:

- "Ultimaker 2 BMG direct drive mount" by Tigerhawk60 (www.thingiverse.com/thing:3798359)

- Bondtech BMG extruder

- "Tinker-Firmware" by TinkerGnome (github.com/TinkerGnome/Ultimaker2Marlin/releases)

- V6 groove mount compatible hotend (24V Heater Cartridge, PT100 Thermistor)

- small piece of 1.75 mm bowden tube

- custom slicer profile

I would also recommend to print everything from ABS or similar temperature stable.

There is also a aluminium head assembly on AliExpress, but be careful, you may have to modify (drill/mill) to get it working. Also it's quite heavy and the included linear bearings are trash. In retrospect I would recommend to start with a 3D-printed one...

Prints like a charm now (even flexibles).

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

Edited by TheGrine

Nowadays there is a newer and lighter extruder in the market, the H2 from Biqu, just got one. Smaller motor (weaker torch), but relation 7:1 and total extruder weight of 119 grams (photo bellow). I also get an allmetal/ bimetal heatbreak to avoid the one with internal PTFE tube (it cames with Capricorn in a bore 4.1 heatbreak I guess).

191139CE-8A61-4B27-9F2E-F4827F674E6B.thumb.jpeg.1b276cf5aab4e02d4bbb275daa72b8f5.jpeg

It’s a good option for me convert to 1.75mm filament because it’s almost impossible to find 2.85mm here and when I found it’s triple the price and has a lot of moisture due to low demand 😓

The speed will be lower because of the extra weight but I always print slower than 60 and with bigger nozzles… and I’m printing a lot with TPU nowadays shores of 85A, 95A and 98A (semi-flex) so this should be a good direction even to print TPE /softer and showned in some demos.

I will need to deal with firmware changes but it will not a problem since the brand provide a good explanation of it, just thinking how I will set the end stops and attach the entire extruder to the rods (combine with others designs provided above or remix the E3d adapter to UM2) the challenge will be keep a good balance on it… I will lose a bit of area in some of the axis probably and need to add a fan duct on it. I have the parts just need the fans and time to work on it 😉

Cheers!

Edited by fergazz
    corrections

Nice find

I so love my UM2 and would love to revamp it to auto bed leveling and some modern/quiet drivers.

I keep seeing so many new machines in the same print volume size appearing.  I always hold out a little hope someone will develop an upgrade path for the venerable UM2/UM2+

Hi @LePaul

definitely these upgrades would be great for updating the UM2(+) series

I'm lacking time to work on this conversion, I'm moving to another office and I have a lot of work to do in the next two weeks. I think I will adapt the new extruder at Artillery by the time as there is already material available and I can do it in a couple of hours. But if I'm starting to work on it to adapt to my UM2(+) I'll create an exclusive topic for H2 extruder here 😉

By the way Teaching Tech channel (forgot his name, Marco maybe?) recently made a comparison video about this and BondTech LGX and Hemera...  luckly I got the good version of the H2... not the stuck one: 

Teaching Tech video on Youtube

Cheers!

Edited by fergazz

@fergazz   Did you get the H2 to work?    I am looking for a reliable Direct Drive to use with my UM2Go+ that has the same printhead as the UM2+

Hi I have done this conversion for both Ultimaker original and UM2+

um2+: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5533334

original: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5533380