fergazz

Hemera extruder to UM2 or UM2+... anyone?

Posted · Hemera extruder to UM2 or UM2+... anyone?

Hi fellows!

Anyone thinking to try this new direct drive extruder from E3D in a UM2 or UM2+ series?? It looks really cool and promissing... 

Sadly my UM2(+) is not working for about 8 months... I’m just using my other printers (2x Artillery X1; Ender3 Pro with 32bits board/ 2209 TMCs and an MLCD resin printer).

I would love to reativate my UM2 but I’m looking to update some parts. Do you guys think that with Hemera I will must need to change my board to a Duet or some of the SKR ones? Which firmware tweeks should I make? I can design a mount for it... it will be definitly needed.

I’m going to MRRF this year (in march) and I’m thinking to bring some UM spare parts and the new stuffs to my country, Brazil 🙂

Thank you guys in advance and it’s good to be back to this forum after a while 🙂

I think it is in theory possible, if doing it I would anyway suggest to change MB, at least for a SKR, 32Bits, bette stepper driver etc...

But I see 2 problems. The hemera is gigger than the UM2 (+) printhead, it might limit your printing area... (Would need some work to not crash the head in the panels.

The spool holder at the back does not seem very optimal for direct drive extruders, You would have to relocate the spool holder.

Posted (edited) · Hemera extruder to UM2 or UM2+... anyone?

Not to mention the Hemera is 1.75mm

(The Hemera does have a Bowden option, btw)

It's an interesting design and I bought two for upgrading my CR-10S and FT-6.  

E3D's mounting method leaves a lot to be desired.  Most of the mounts I have seen for the CR-10 style printers only screw into 3 locations.  There isn't a lot of depth in the provided mounting holes, too

My UM2+ is my tank and I would love to bring it up to date with better drivers, feeder and hot end.  

Edited by LePaul

just to get a feeling for the scale, original UM2 vs Hemera, both without fans

image.thumb.png.6ddc54493550b347b62dddf48f6f90b8.png

I've been looking at this as I would like one of my machines converted to direct drive for flexible materials. The hemera is to big for my taste, a pancake motor version would already be better. 

I'm also looking into a bondtech BMG + pancake + mosquito hotend, this looks a more interesting option imho.

• Like 1

Hi fergazz,

Just stay away from this setup as it is way to heavy for the Ultimaker gantry, only the stepper is almost twice the weight of the whole complete UM2 extruder unit. This will create lots of resonance lines in the print object and make your UM2 a "turtle 3D printer", as you cannot go at all to the normal speed. Why not go for an UM3 extruder?

Just my 5 p.

Good luck

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
  • Like 1

I thought about the same Thing but opted for a Bondtech BMG + pancake + Hemera Hotside + custom heatsink:

IMG_20200529_213016.thumb.jpg.f8a955dd5ba76b6b717a430fb124237b.jpg

First test prints look good, but I am still testing this for reliability. 

But there is also a UM2 Head assembly with BMG-clone and V6-clone on the cheap on Aliexpress that I haven't tested. 

Edited by TheGrine