Dual Extrusion - faster warmup from Standby?

larsu1212123

Posted · Dual Extrusion - faster warmup from Standby?

Good day, I have the following question:

When printing with dual Extruders (DiY Anet A8 dual V6 hotend), the print regularily has to pause right before the Nozzle switch to wait for the inactive tool to warm up. While the print quality ist unaffected, it really increases total print time.

Is there a way to have the inactive tool begin the heatup earlier, so it will be ready when I need it? One possible solution that occured to me would be to increase the standby temperature, but since that may degrade the Filament I would rather avoid it.

• 2 weeks later...

Cura has an entry for heat up and cool down times for each extruder. I am still messing with those and they seem to be inconsistent to my way of thinking about these parameters but they might work for you.

In my way of thinking, the heat up parameters in degrees/sec is exactly what you want but I suspect that Cura's implementation of this is not complete or is not working correctly or I misunderstand it's intent.

In my way of thinking Cura says 'I will need the next extruder soon and based on how fast it heats up, I need to do so at x time'. The idea being that the new extruder is at temperature when it is needed.

• 3 months later...
    • 3 years later...
    Posted (edited) · Dual Extrusion - faster warmup from Standby?

Any more info on this? Using Cura 5.4.0 and I cannot see any options to control the warm up / heat up of the extruders when they are in standby.
    If not possible in Cura itself, is there a plugin out there that can add g-code to start heating up the extruder before it needs to get used.
    Indeed ideally with some kind of estimated time setting, or that it automatically figures out how long it needs to warm up to the print temperature.

PS: using a Snapmaker J1

Edited by petervanwesten

This isn't a setting that you can change within Cura. You need to start your research on the fdmprinter profile in the definitions profile and then you can check how the Ultimaker profiles use it. That's the normal way to explore the varius setting variables. Some of those are hardware related to Ultimaker printers only as they need a firmware understanding those variables.

Beside of this there is a plugin called Printer Settings from fieldOfView where you can edit a lot of printer settings as the one you are looking for.

Use this plugin wise as it is easy to destroy configurations if you don't know what you are doing. A backup of your configuration folder as first action should be obvious.

It is maybe also a good advice to install the plugin Settings Guide from Ghostkeeper. It provides you with a lot of useful knowledge that you won't find in any Ultimaker documentation. Sadly it is not longer at state at the latest versions as there is no one who want to take over the project at Ultimaker. It's a pity but so is life in the real world.

Both plugins can be found at Marketplace.