mkaj2019

S5 Sliding Block

Posted · S5 Sliding Block

Hello Everybody,

I have discovered some unusual rod backlash (see video in the attachments) at one of the slinding blocks on the S5 in my company. Is this behavior normal? The printer is not even 1 year old. 

Greetings 

Markus

IMG_20200120_112155.jpg

IMG_20200120_112401.jpg

VID_20200120_112247.zip

That's not normal, do you clean and oil the rods every 3 odd months on the printer? All i can think of it the movement of the print head got limited and it started to pull the rod side to side and its now worn the sliding block so the rods now loose in it?

Posted (edited) · S5 Sliding Block

Hi Carla,

yes I oil them very regularly and also stick to the maintenance plan from cura connect. But the printer is also printing quite a lot. I have printed over 1000 hours in 10 months since purchase.

Edited by mkaj2019

Hey Guys,

I contacted the official support company in Germany and  got informed that the damaged sliding block is a "wearing part" and is not covered by warranty. So make sure you buy some as spare before your sliding blocks are failing like mine. 

Additional information from the company is also that enclosing the printer with a case (not the UM air manager) might lead to quick deterioration due to too much heat transfered by the rods into the plastic sliding block. 

I personally do not want to give money to ultimaker for some crappy plastic pieces. Therefore I will try some alternatives from Aliexpress. I will keep you posted.

Edited by mkaj2019

MKAJ, 

If you grab the rod with one hand can you feel the play? I've noticed some gap on our S5 same as in your picture but it feels snug... 

Yes, have a look at my video. This is moving freely. When I try to realign it the rod just falls out. Right now I don't touch it and wait for the replacement parts

I've seen some printable versions of the sliding block halves online, but I haven't printed them/installed them myself. You can find some options on YouMagine.com.

To keep the blocks from being affected by heat, you'll want to make sure the interior of your printer stays at 50 C or cooler; thats how the Air Manager prevents this from happening, it monitors the temperature and runs the fan to regulate it.

I have received new sliding blocks from china for 8$/4 PCS. They make a good first impression. They are definitely made from a different plastic. It looks like PA and the original Ultimaker sliding blocks look more like POM. The quality overall is quite good. There are only some minor molding issues. Nothing that can't be quickly removed with an exacto knife.

I am still using the same bushing and belt tensioning spring so I cannot speak for the quality of these parts. 

Right now I have only swapped the plastic parts and they fitt quite nicely.

HTB1s9HXSXXXXXarXFXXq6.jpgIMG_20200217_085741.jpg

IMG_20200217_085805.jpg

IMG_20200217_085912.jpg

IMG_20200217_085954.jpg

IMG_20200217_084531.jpg

IMG_20200217_084615.jpg

Edited by mkaj2019

Looks good! Thanks for the update....

Markus, it seems you are quite comfortable in swapping, replacing, and adjusting the mechanical parts of your Ultimaker S5, which is a good thing.

I'm also generally very comfortable with such things, but I'm a newbie when it comes to Ultimaker printers (and 3D printers in general). I want to ask you if you have noticed any side-effects in print quality and overall behaviour of the printer after you've messed with its mechanics. I mean this in a good way, I also want to be brave enough to mess with it, but its price and my lack of experience in owning and using such an expensive printer prevents me (for now) from touching it in this way.

Have you ever caused any irreparable damage or permanent degradation in the print quality of the printer? Also, have you noticed any improvement in print quality as a result of your actions? Generally, is the S5 robust enough to be able to take a beating when it comes to its mechanics (belts, rods, bushings, lead screw, etc.)?

Thanks for any insights, just trying to get a feel of how robust and serviceable the S5 mechanics are...

Hi Folks,

Never noted this one, interesting. Is this the X & Y axis on an UM5?

If so, is this a 8 mm shaft that is adapted to the old 6mm slide blocks? Right?

I've also had problem with loose clamping of the 6mm shafts to the sliding blocks, however I used a peace of paper that cover about 270 deg. around the shaft where it is connected to the block. Done this on all 4 sliding block. Find a type of paper(right thickness) that make enough clamping, do not use to thick paper cause this may make your slider block crack..

BTW, the post it fit well in my UM2 printer..

I've used this for about 1700 hour with no issue.

Using same paper lifting both shaft the same distance, so no problem.

Well, just so you know about this trick.

Thanks

Torgeir