[UM S5] Camera feed stopping

ogagnon

Posted · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping

Hi,

As I have seen in some posts here, we are having problems with the camera feed stopping using latest firmwares.

We are using the latest (5.4.27).

The UM needs to be restarted for the feed to come back but it can't be done while printing.

Some information that may help:

• It happens when a client (Cura or other) is streaming the feed for some hours
  • We use the streaming feed endpoint (http://um.ip/?action=stream) to create "fast-forwarding" videos of the print
  • Using VLC with that endpoint

When the stream stops working, here what we get from the endpoint:

> GET /?action=stream HTTP/1.1
> User-Agent: curl/7.38.0
> Host: um.ip:8080
> Accept: */*
> 
* HTTP 1.0, assume close after body
< HTTP/1.0 200 OK
< Connection: close
< Server: MJPG-Streamer/0.2
< Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, pre-check=0, post-check=0, max-age=0
< Pragma: no-cache
< Expires: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 12:34:56 GMT
< Content-Type: multipart/x-mixed-replace;boundary=boundarydonotcross

--boundarydonotcross

It stucks after that with the connection remaining opened.

It looks like a buffering/memory problem and after some research, maybe that may be a fix:

https://github.com/jacksonliam/mjpg-streamer/commit/501f6362c5afddcfb41055f97ae484252c85c912

O.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 3:18 AM, ogagnon said:

Hi,

As I have seen in some posts here, we are having problems with the camera feed stopping using latest firmwares.

We are using the latest (5.4.27).

The UM needs to be restarted for the feed to come back but it can't be done while printing.

Some information that may help:

• It happens when a client (Cura or other) is streaming the feed for some hours
  • We use the streaming feed endpoint (http://um.ip/?action=stream) to create "fast-forwarding" videos of the print
  • Using VLC with that endpoint

When the stream stops working, here what we get from the endpoint:

> GET /?action=stream HTTP/1.1
> User-Agent: curl/7.38.0
> Host: um.ip:8080
> Accept: */*
> 
* HTTP 1.0, assume close after body
< HTTP/1.0 200 OK
< Connection: close
< Server: MJPG-Streamer/0.2
< Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, pre-check=0, post-check=0, max-age=0
< Pragma: no-cache
< Expires: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 12:34:56 GMT
< Content-Type: multipart/x-mixed-replace;boundary=boundarydonotcross

--boundarydonotcross

It stucks after that with the connection remaining opened.

It looks like a buffering/memory problem and after some research, maybe that may be a fix:

https://github.com/jacksonliam/mjpg-streamer/commit/501f6362c5afddcfb41055f97ae484252c85c912

O.

I had the same issue a while back, I decided to revert to an older firmware version which had worked fine but some say if you reset Cura Connect it fixes the issue. Just beware that it will delete all your print history/stats/logs.

On 1/24/2020 at 3:12 AM, jkcz said:

I had the same issue a while back, I decided to revert to an older firmware version which had worked fine but some say if you reset Cura Connect it fixes the issue. Just beware that it will delete all your print history/stats/logs.

Do you have a link to an older firmware? It looks like Ultimaker removed all their old firmwares to be accessible. (which is NOT cool!). Being able to try to debug the issue from the community would be much more efficient.

@Ultimaker: As a System Administrator I tell you: Obfuscation is debunked security strategy.

O.

19 hours ago, ogagnon said:

Do you have a link to an older firmware? It looks like Ultimaker removed all their old firmwares to be accessible. (which is NOT cool!). Being able to try to debug the issue from the community would be much more efficient.

@Ultimaker: As a System Administrator I tell you: Obfuscation is debunked security strategy.

O.

I contacted the local dealer and in turn they contacted Ultimaker and requested the firmware file which they then forwarded to me and I installed on our printer, haven't had an issue since reverting to 5.2.11. I'm not sure why they take down old versions but if you want the file PM me.

1 hour ago, MiguelV said:

Hi,

We are working on a fix for this issue and we will include it in our next version 5.6. Unfortunately I cannot give you an exact timeline for 5.6, so please bear with us.

Hi Miguel, so you are confirming the issue ?

Did the information I give you helped ? I might have other suggestions to improve that part.

O.

Hi,

Yes, I confirm the issue is present in 5.4.27 and 5.5.12. But will be fixed by the next 5.6 release.

In this case the issue was somewhere else. But thank you for taking the time to post your findings!!

Hey everyone, I've been fighting this with since getting my S5.  Glad to hear 5.6 will finally bring some relief.

If you have dev mode on, you can SSH to the box and run 

systemctl restart mjpg-streamer@0

to get the camera working again.  It may not last long though.  I usually have to do that multiple times throughout a print.  All that does is restart the camera streaming service.

I found a commit on their github that seems to like it'll fix it, so here's hoping 5.6 isn't too far away.

did all development stop with Covid-19?  I'm so tired of my S5 losing network and camera on every single print.  

We keep on working on 5.6 despite the Covid crisis. Please bear with us.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping

Just purchased an s5 and so disappointed with the lack of stability of the camera feed. Can I schedule a restart the relevant services via a cron job?

Edited by danieledge123

yep, pretty ridiculous.

I supposed you could schedule it, but it'd be hard to know how often.  Sometimes it stays up for an entire job and sometimes it can't last 5 minutes.

The really dumb thing is that they have had what I think is the fix committed in their github for months now.  No idea why it didn't get pushed out on the last few firmware updates.

https://github.com/Ultimaker/mjpg-streamer/commit/baf9cda52427f4c45a5ce8d6f869157a8f4f9338

Come on Ultimaker .. you are marketing the s5 as a high end printer, it’s your flagship model, with a high end price tag. I really shouldn’t need to set up a rPi and external camera to monitor my prints and it looks like this issue has been around for a long time.. 

• Like 1

modify /lib/systemd/system/mjpg-streamer\@.service to the below:

enable Dev via the front touch panel.

SSH to the S5 as user root pass ultimaker

vi /lib/systemd/system/mjpg-streamer\@.service

========================================================

[Unit]
    Description=mjpg-streamer, Webcam streaming for all on /dev/video%i
    BindsTo=dev-video%i.device

[Service]
    Type=simple
    User=ultimaker
    Environment=LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/mjpg-streamer
    ExecStart=/usr/bin/mjpg-streamer -i "input_uvc.so -r SXGA -d /dev/video%i" -o "output_http.so -p 808%i"
    Restart=always
    RestartSec=10
    TimeoutSec=1

========================================================

systemctl daemon-reload

systemctl restart mjpg-streamer@0

Disable Dev mode via the front touch panel.

• Like 2
    • Thanks 1

Thanks @Admehnistrator what does changing to SXGA do?

Just now, danieledge123 said:

Thanks @Admehnistrator what does changing to SXGA do?

the resolution change is just to maximize what the camera is capable of on the S5.  If you try a resolution larger, mjpg-streamer will just force it to max allowed by the camera.

How does this address the problem with the camera cutting out though?

Just now, danieledge123 said:

How does this address the problem with the camera cutting out though?

I've been using the system like this for 3 days, and the camera has not failed once.  previously, it failed after a few hours if i was lucky to make it that long.

I think the problem is when it tries to restart with the default setting (3 sec) its not actually releasing the device fast enough for the new service to grab it.  the 10 sec seems to work really well for me.... ymmv

• Like 1

Will give it a go!

So far working without issue. Any clues on the WiFi cutting out ? I noticed when it does this, the interface shows that the WiFi connection has been disabled but toggle switch doesn’t do anything. Anyone know if the problem also effects Ethernet connections ? 

5 hours ago, danieledge123 said:

So far working without issue. Any clues on the WiFi cutting out ? I noticed when it does this, the interface shows that the WiFi connection has been disabled but toggle switch doesn’t do anything. Anyone know if the problem also effects Ethernet connections ? 

I have the same problem. The problem, I think is that WiFi is given too low of a priority, as WiFi stays strong if you're not printing. 

I haven't been able to locate my printer close to Ethernet for long enough to really test it, but the testing is shows that it is far more reliable. 

19 hours ago, Admehnistrator said:

modify /lib/systemd/system/mjpg-streamer\@.service

Let's give it a try. Tomorrow i will report 🤞

day 4, still going strong here

The issue with the camera feed is old and occurs on UM3, S5 and propably on the S3 as well. Sometimes it works longer, days, weeks, sometimes only hours or even minutes 🙂 It is annoying 

But the solution from @Admehnistrator sounds logical. When we give the divice more time to go back to "normal" state and then restart the mjpeg service, this could be the solution for it and it sounds it is!

I will try ii on my printers as well, just be aware that you have to modify the file every time you do a firmware upgrade.

Thanks @Admehnistrator for sharing your solution!