Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

[UM S5] Camera feed stopping


Recommended Posts

Posted · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping

Hi,

As I have seen in some posts here, we are having problems with the camera feed stopping using latest firmwares.

We are using the latest (5.4.27).

 

The UM needs to be restarted for the feed to come back but it can't be done while printing.

 

Some information that may help:

  • It happens when a client (Cura or other) is streaming the feed for some hours
  • We use the streaming feed endpoint (http://um.ip/?action=stream) to create "fast-forwarding" videos of the print
  • Using VLC with that endpoint

When the stream stops working, here what we get from the endpoint:

> GET /?action=stream HTTP/1.1
> User-Agent: curl/7.38.0
> Host: um.ip:8080
> Accept: */*
> 
* HTTP 1.0, assume close after body
< HTTP/1.0 200 OK
< Connection: close
< Server: MJPG-Streamer/0.2
< Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, pre-check=0, post-check=0, max-age=0
< Pragma: no-cache
< Expires: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 12:34:56 GMT
< Content-Type: multipart/x-mixed-replace;boundary=boundarydonotcross

--boundarydonotcross

It stucks after that with the connection remaining opened.

It looks like a buffering/memory problem and after some research, maybe that may be a fix:

https://github.com/jacksonliam/mjpg-streamer/commit/501f6362c5afddcfb41055f97ae484252c85c912

 

O.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello everybody,    Hope you are all well. I am happy to inform you that the new firmware has been approved after testing. This means we will move forward with the release next week. This me

This was my overall impression unfortunately. Hardware is great, software really lets it down and in minor but frustrating ways. It's just lacking the polish that I expected from a printer at this pri

I was one of the biggest critics of Ultimaker. However, the latest firmware seems to do a lot well.   1. The video feed has never crashed since Tuesday. 2. The change from the same m

Posted Images

Posted · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping
On 1/23/2020 at 3:18 AM, ogagnon said:

Hi,

As I have seen in some posts here, we are having problems with the camera feed stopping using latest firmwares.

We are using the latest (5.4.27).

 

The UM needs to be restarted for the feed to come back but it can't be done while printing.

 

Some information that may help:

  • It happens when a client (Cura or other) is streaming the feed for some hours
  • We use the streaming feed endpoint (http://um.ip/?action=stream) to create "fast-forwarding" videos of the print
  • Using VLC with that endpoint

When the stream stops working, here what we get from the endpoint:


> GET /?action=stream HTTP/1.1
> User-Agent: curl/7.38.0
> Host: um.ip:8080
> Accept: */*
> 
* HTTP 1.0, assume close after body
< HTTP/1.0 200 OK
< Connection: close
< Server: MJPG-Streamer/0.2
< Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, pre-check=0, post-check=0, max-age=0
< Pragma: no-cache
< Expires: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 12:34:56 GMT
< Content-Type: multipart/x-mixed-replace;boundary=boundarydonotcross

--boundarydonotcross

It stucks after that with the connection remaining opened.

It looks like a buffering/memory problem and after some research, maybe that may be a fix:

https://github.com/jacksonliam/mjpg-streamer/commit/501f6362c5afddcfb41055f97ae484252c85c912

 

O.

I had the same issue a while back, I decided to revert to an older firmware version which had worked fine but some say if you reset Cura Connect it fixes the issue. Just beware that it will delete all your print history/stats/logs.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping
    On 1/24/2020 at 3:12 AM, jkcz said:

    I had the same issue a while back, I decided to revert to an older firmware version which had worked fine but some say if you reset Cura Connect it fixes the issue. Just beware that it will delete all your print history/stats/logs.

     

    Do you have a link to an older firmware? It looks like Ultimaker removed all their old firmwares to be accessible. (which is NOT cool!). Being able to try to debug the issue from the community would be much more efficient.

    @Ultimaker: As a System Administrator I tell you: Obfuscation is debunked security strategy.

     

    O.

     

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping
    19 hours ago, ogagnon said:

     

    Do you have a link to an older firmware? It looks like Ultimaker removed all their old firmwares to be accessible. (which is NOT cool!). Being able to try to debug the issue from the community would be much more efficient.

    @Ultimaker: As a System Administrator I tell you: Obfuscation is debunked security strategy.

     

    O.

     

    I contacted the local dealer and in turn they contacted Ultimaker and requested the firmware file which they then forwarded to me and I installed on our printer, haven't had an issue since reverting to 5.2.11. I'm not sure why they take down old versions but if you want the file PM me.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping
    1 hour ago, MiguelV said:

    Hi,

     

    We are working on a fix for this issue and we will include it in our next version 5.6. Unfortunately I cannot give you an exact timeline for 5.6, so please bear with us.

     

    Hi Miguel, so you are confirming the issue ?

     

    Did the information I give you helped ? I might have other suggestions to improve that part.

     

    O.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping

    Hi,

     

    Yes, I confirm the issue is present in 5.4.27 and 5.5.12. But will be fixed by the next 5.6 release.

     

    In this case the issue was somewhere else. But thank you for taking the time to post your findings!!

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping

    Hey everyone, I've been fighting this with since getting my S5.  Glad to hear 5.6 will finally bring some relief.

     

    If you have dev mode on, you can SSH to the box and run 

    systemctl restart mjpg-streamer@0

    to get the camera working again.  It may not last long though.  I usually have to do that multiple times throughout a print.  All that does is restart the camera streaming service.

     

    I found a commit on their github that seems to like it'll fix it, so here's hoping 5.6 isn't too far away.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping

    did all development stop with Covid-19?  I'm so tired of my S5 losing network and camera on every single print.  

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping

    We keep on working on 5.6 despite the Covid crisis. Please bear with us.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted (edited) · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping

    Just purchased an s5 and so disappointed with the lack of stability of the camera feed. Can I schedule a restart the relevant services via a cron job?
     

    Edited by danieledge123
  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping

    yep, pretty ridiculous.

     

    I supposed you could schedule it, but it'd be hard to know how often.  Sometimes it stays up for an entire job and sometimes it can't last 5 minutes.

     

    The really dumb thing is that they have had what I think is the fix committed in their github for months now.  No idea why it didn't get pushed out on the last few firmware updates.

     

    https://github.com/Ultimaker/mjpg-streamer/commit/baf9cda52427f4c45a5ce8d6f869157a8f4f9338

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping

    Come on Ultimaker .. you are marketing the s5 as a high end printer, it’s your flagship model, with a high end price tag. I really shouldn’t need to set up a rPi and external camera to monitor my prints and it looks like this issue has been around for a long time.. 

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping

    modify /lib/systemd/system/mjpg-streamer\@.service to the below:

     

    enable Dev via the front touch panel.

     

     

    SSH to the S5 as user root pass ultimaker

     

    vi /lib/systemd/system/mjpg-streamer\@.service

     

     

    ========================================================

    [Unit]
    Description=mjpg-streamer, Webcam streaming for all on /dev/video%i
    BindsTo=dev-video%i.device

    [Service]
    Type=simple
    User=ultimaker
    Environment=LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/mjpg-streamer
    ExecStart=/usr/bin/mjpg-streamer -i "input_uvc.so -r SXGA -d /dev/video%i" -o "output_http.so -p 808%i"
    Restart=always
    RestartSec=10
    TimeoutSec=1

    ========================================================

     

    systemctl daemon-reload

    systemctl restart mjpg-streamer@0

     

    Disable Dev mode via the front touch panel.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping

    Thanks @Admehnistrator what does changing to SXGA do?

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping
    Just now, danieledge123 said:

    Thanks @Admehnistrator what does changing to SXGA do?

     

    the resolution change is just to maximize what the camera is capable of on the S5.  If you try a resolution larger, mjpg-streamer will just force it to max allowed by the camera.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping

    How does this address the problem with the camera cutting out though?

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping
    Just now, danieledge123 said:

    How does this address the problem with the camera cutting out though?

     

     

    I've been using the system like this for 3 days, and the camera has not failed once.  previously, it failed after a few hours if i was lucky to make it that long.

     

    I think the problem is when it tries to restart with the default setting (3 sec) its not actually releasing the device fast enough for the new service to grab it.  the 10 sec seems to work really well for me.... ymmv

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping

    Will give it a go!

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping

    So far working without issue. Any clues on the WiFi cutting out ? I noticed when it does this, the interface shows that the WiFi connection has been disabled but toggle switch doesn’t do anything. Anyone know if the problem also effects Ethernet connections ? 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping
    5 hours ago, danieledge123 said:

    So far working without issue. Any clues on the WiFi cutting out ? I noticed when it does this, the interface shows that the WiFi connection has been disabled but toggle switch doesn’t do anything. Anyone know if the problem also effects Ethernet connections ? 

    I have the same problem. The problem, I think is that WiFi is given too low of a priority, as WiFi stays strong if you're not printing. 
     

    I haven't been able to locate my printer close to Ethernet for long enough to really test it, but the testing is shows that it is far more reliable. 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping
    19 hours ago, Admehnistrator said:

    modify /lib/systemd/system/mjpg-streamer\@.service

    Let's give it a try. Tomorrow i will report 🤞

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping

    day 4, still going strong here

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping

    The issue with the camera feed is old and occurs on UM3, S5 and propably on the S3 as well. Sometimes it works longer, days, weeks, sometimes only hours or even minutes 🙂 It is annoying 

     

    But the solution from @Admehnistrator sounds logical. When we give the divice more time to go back to "normal" state and then restart the mjpeg service, this could be the solution for it and it sounds it is!

     

    I will try ii on my printers as well, just be aware that you have to modify the file every time you do a firmware upgrade.

     

    Thanks @Admehnistrator for sharing your solution!

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    • Our picks

      • Startups, apply for the Forward AM Innovation Award!
        Are you a startup using 3D printing? Perhaps you should continue reading... 
         
        Together with BASF we are launching the Forward AM Innovation Award - the very first global contest for startups developing new applications with 3D printing!
         
        Why apply?
        The winning startup will receive €100,000 in goods and services*, along with coaching and marketing exposure from top-notch leaders in the industry.
         

         
        Who can apply?
        Your startup creates products using Additive Manufacturing, is less than 5 years old, and has less than 50 employees. We are looking for 3D printing applications with a strong focus on innovation, sustainability and scalability.
         
        Dental aligners, shoes, tools, automotive parts, music instruments, industrial tooling and molding, medical implants, sports equipment, toys, architecture, fashion, construction... all are welcome to join!
         
        Do you have an innovative, sustainable and scalable idea that leverages the unique possibilities of 3D printing? Then it is time to apply!
        More information can be found here.
         
        Applications close on March 28th, 2021
        * What does "in goods and services" mean?
        The winner will be able to pick any item from the overall product and service portfolio of the sponsors, e.g. printers, materials, consulting, software... Choose whatever you need to accelerate your startup.
         
          • Like
        • 0 replies
      • New here? Register your Ultimaker for free 3D printer onboarding course
        Hi,
         
        Often getting started is the most difficult part of any process. A good start sets you up for success and saves you time and energy that could be spent elsewhere. That is why we have a onboarding course ready for
        Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle, Ultimaker S5, Ultimaker S3 Ultimaker 2+ Connect.   
        They're ready for you on the Ultimaker Academy platform. All you need to do to gain access is to register your product to gain free access. 
        Ready? Register your product here in just 60 seconds.
          • Like
        • 0 replies
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...