ogagnon

[UM S5] Camera feed stopping

Posted · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping

Hi,

As I have seen in some posts here, we are having problems with the camera feed stopping using latest firmwares.

We are using the latest (5.4.27).

The UM needs to be restarted for the feed to come back but it can't be done while printing.

Some information that may help:

• It happens when a client (Cura or other) is streaming the feed for some hours
  • We use the streaming feed endpoint (http://um.ip/?action=stream) to create "fast-forwarding" videos of the print
  • Using VLC with that endpoint

When the stream stops working, here what we get from the endpoint:

> GET /?action=stream HTTP/1.1
> User-Agent: curl/7.38.0
> Host: um.ip:8080
> Accept: */*
> 
* HTTP 1.0, assume close after body
< HTTP/1.0 200 OK
< Connection: close
< Server: MJPG-Streamer/0.2
< Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, pre-check=0, post-check=0, max-age=0
< Pragma: no-cache
< Expires: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 12:34:56 GMT
< Content-Type: multipart/x-mixed-replace;boundary=boundarydonotcross

--boundarydonotcross

It stucks after that with the connection remaining opened.

It looks like a buffering/memory problem and after some research, maybe that may be a fix:

https://github.com/jacksonliam/mjpg-streamer/commit/501f6362c5afddcfb41055f97ae484252c85c912

O.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 3:18 AM, ogagnon said:

Hi,

As I have seen in some posts here, we are having problems with the camera feed stopping using latest firmwares.

We are using the latest (5.4.27).

The UM needs to be restarted for the feed to come back but it can't be done while printing.

Some information that may help:

• It happens when a client (Cura or other) is streaming the feed for some hours
  • We use the streaming feed endpoint (http://um.ip/?action=stream) to create "fast-forwarding" videos of the print
  • Using VLC with that endpoint

When the stream stops working, here what we get from the endpoint:

> GET /?action=stream HTTP/1.1
> User-Agent: curl/7.38.0
> Host: um.ip:8080
> Accept: */*
> 
* HTTP 1.0, assume close after body
< HTTP/1.0 200 OK
< Connection: close
< Server: MJPG-Streamer/0.2
< Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, pre-check=0, post-check=0, max-age=0
< Pragma: no-cache
< Expires: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 12:34:56 GMT
< Content-Type: multipart/x-mixed-replace;boundary=boundarydonotcross

--boundarydonotcross

It stucks after that with the connection remaining opened.

It looks like a buffering/memory problem and after some research, maybe that may be a fix:

https://github.com/jacksonliam/mjpg-streamer/commit/501f6362c5afddcfb41055f97ae484252c85c912

O.

I had the same issue a while back, I decided to revert to an older firmware version which had worked fine but some say if you reset Cura Connect it fixes the issue. Just beware that it will delete all your print history/stats/logs.

That's right, a Cura Connect Reset helps.

On 1/24/2020 at 3:12 AM, jkcz said:

I had the same issue a while back, I decided to revert to an older firmware version which had worked fine but some say if you reset Cura Connect it fixes the issue. Just beware that it will delete all your print history/stats/logs.

Do you have a link to an older firmware? It looks like Ultimaker removed all their old firmwares to be accessible. (which is NOT cool!). Being able to try to debug the issue from the community would be much more efficient.

@Ultimaker: As a System Administrator I tell you: Obfuscation is debunked security strategy.

O.

19 hours ago, ogagnon said:

Do you have a link to an older firmware? It looks like Ultimaker removed all their old firmwares to be accessible. (which is NOT cool!). Being able to try to debug the issue from the community would be much more efficient.

@Ultimaker: As a System Administrator I tell you: Obfuscation is debunked security strategy.

O.

I contacted the local dealer and in turn they contacted Ultimaker and requested the firmware file which they then forwarded to me and I installed on our printer, haven't had an issue since reverting to 5.2.11. I'm not sure why they take down old versions but if you want the file PM me.

Hi,

We are working on a fix for this issue and we will include it in our next version 5.6. Unfortunately I cannot give you an exact timeline for 5.6, so please bear with us.

1 hour ago, MiguelV said:

Hi,

We are working on a fix for this issue and we will include it in our next version 5.6. Unfortunately I cannot give you an exact timeline for 5.6, so please bear with us.

Hi Miguel, so you are confirming the issue ?

Did the information I give you helped ? I might have other suggestions to improve that part.

O.

Hi,

Yes, I confirm the issue is present in 5.4.27 and 5.5.12. But will be fixed by the next 5.6 release.

In this case the issue was somewhere else. But thank you for taking the time to post your findings!!

Hey everyone, I've been fighting this with since getting my S5.  Glad to hear 5.6 will finally bring some relief.

If you have dev mode on, you can SSH to the box and run 

systemctl restart mjpg-streamer@0

to get the camera working again.  It may not last long though.  I usually have to do that multiple times throughout a print.  All that does is restart the camera streaming service.

I found a commit on their github that seems to like it'll fix it, so here's hoping 5.6 isn't too far away.