[UM S5] Camera feed stopping

ogagnon

Posted · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping

OK, perhaps fraud may be a tough expression. But Ultimaker has known about this mistake for a long time and a selling point is that you can monitoring the print with a video feed.

And it doesn't work. Mistakes happen, yes. But then these must also be corrected in a reasonable time. And it just wasn't done.

Here are some threads on this site that address the issues. The 1st thread is from 2018!

18.10.2018: 

01.04.2019: 

26.09.2019: 

23.01.2020: This Thread

01.04.2020: 

Hello everybody, 

Hope you are all well. I am happy to inform you that the new firmware has been approved after testing. This means we will move forward with the release next week. This message is not an official release notice, but I've told you I would let you know as soon as more information is available, so here we are. We still have to prepare some things for the actual release, hence it will be next week. When it is officially released the release notes will be published in the firmware thread. You can follow the category and receive a notification when a new post is added. I hope knowing help is on the way will make up for something. 

Have a great weekend, 

• Like 1
    • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, SandervG said:

Hello everybody, 

Hope you are all well. I am happy to inform you that the new firmware has been approved after testing. This means we will move forward with the release next week. This message is not an official release notice, but I've told you I would let you know as soon as more information is available, so here we are. We still have to prepare some things for the actual release, hence it will be next week. When it is officially released the release notes will be published in the firmware thread. You can follow the category and receive a notification when a new post is added. I hope knowing help is on the way will make up for something. 

Have a great weekend, 

This is good news, does this address both the camera issue and network connectivity problem ?

many thanks 

Posted (edited) · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping

Pleased to report that the camera seems reliable, however I have frequent network connectivity issues, normally power cycling the printer and cura resolves between prints.

Both on WLAN and LAN

Edited by danieledge123

Yep, the same. The camera feed has available without any problems since tuesday. But in Cura (unreachable) and also on the Webpage (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/print_jobs) the connectivity (LAN, not WLAN) is interrupted from time to time.

@SandervG please can you provide an update on this issue too.

A new firmware 5.6.8 for the S5 was released with a fix for the webcam issue.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Smithy said:

A new firmware 5.6.8 for the S5 was released with a fix for the webcam issue.

Yep, this works now (5.6.8, take a look above). But the problems with the connectivity is already available.

Hello! Unfortunately I am not working for the next 2 weeks because I am moving houses, so I don't have the chance to check the forum regularly or check in with my colleagues about the roadmap of future improvements or how we can help you with your issue. I'll happily check back in with you when I return. Thank you for your time, have a great weekend! 

I was one of the biggest critics of Ultimaker. However, the latest firmware seems to do a lot well.

1. The video feed has never crashed since Tuesday.

2. The change from the same material with strings that fall off has improved massively. Until now, no part fell off during a new print or during a change of material and then remained on the print. Before that, 4 out of 5 prints / changes were the case.

3. No Errors by changing materials (start or change).

This means that the S5 Pro Bundle can now be used really well. Nevertheless, there are still a few points that need to be looked at again:

1. The connection via LAN sometimes crashes. After 10-20 seconds, however, it exists again.

2. CURA often has connection problems and the completion notification is no longer correct.

3. Since I often print with the same filament one after the other, I should be able to tell the printer that it is not spending so much material at the beginning. There is no point in simply stripping off so much material when using the same color and material. It also makes the whole process much faster.

4. When changing the material during printing (filament runs out) the change takes a relatively long time and there may be small layer errors. It's the same as in point 3, whereby (almost) always the same material is used as before.

Overall, the new version is a quantum leap.

• Like 2

@Roli4711 Thanks for the feedback!

On 6/7/2020 at 12:16 PM, Roli4711 said:

I was one of the biggest critics of Ultimaker. However, the latest firmware seems to do a lot well.

1. The video feed has never crashed since Tuesday.

2. The change from the same material with strings that fall off has improved massively. Until now, no part fell off during a new print or during a change of material and then remained on the print. Before that, 4 out of 5 prints / changes were the case.

3. No Errors by changing materials (start or change).

This means that the S5 Pro Bundle can now be used really well. Nevertheless, there are still a few points that need to be looked at again:

1. The connection via LAN sometimes crashes. After 10-20 seconds, however, it exists again.

2. CURA often has connection problems and the completion notification is no longer correct.

3. Since I often print with the same filament one after the other, I should be able to tell the printer that it is not spending so much material at the beginning. There is no point in simply stripping off so much material when using the same color and material. It also makes the whole process much faster.

4. When changing the material during printing (filament runs out) the change takes a relatively long time and there may be small layer errors. It's the same as in point 3, whereby (almost) always the same material is used as before.

Overall, the new version is a quantum leap.

1. The LAN connectivity problem is not something I've seen, is this in cura or the ultimaker connect website or the cloud?
    2. completion notification?
    3. We have the plan of not unloading the material until it is necessary (for a new print, etc) or a certain time has passed so that you can quickly print again with the same materials (if it was up to me that'd be released already.... sigh... but it's also more complicated than you'd expect....).
    4. If we change between the same (color, type, brand) material we do purge less material, but it's more about re-establishing the meld, so that retractions actually work. usually that happens during the print and it simply assumes there are very few retractions in the first layer. It's also flushing out "degraded" material which you really notice when printing with PVA or Nylon. It's less than you might think when you see the string of plastic, about 2x the contents of the hotend. As a software engineer it's also not my call anymore (like it was in the early days of the UM3 ... fun/chaotic times those were .... ).

Again thanks for the feedback!

6 minutes ago, robinmdh said:

@Roli4711 Thanks for the feedback!

1. The LAN connectivity problem is not something I've seen, is this in cura or the ultimaker connect website or the cloud?
    2. completion notification?
    3. We have the plan of not unloading the material until it is necessary (for a new print, etc) or a certain time has passed so that you can quickly print again with the same materials (if it was up to me that'd be released already.... sigh... but it's also more complicated than you'd expect....).
    4. If we change between the same (color, type, brand) material we do purge less material, but it's more about re-establishing the meld, so that retractions actually work. usually that happens during the print and it simply assumes there are very few retractions in the first layer. It's also flushing out "degraded" material which you really notice when printing with PVA or Nylon. It's less than you might think when you see the string of plastic, about 2x the contents of the hotend. As a software engineer it's also not my call anymore (like it was in the early days of the UM3 ... fun/chaotic times those were .... ).

Again thanks for the feedback!

@robinmdh

Some information:

1. Both. In Cura, the whole connection is missing (printer not available (it will be reset to active) or available, the percentage will not be actualized and - because the always same percentage - also the end time goes ahead) On Connect as example, the progress bar is in the middle (about 50%), but in CURA, the percentage will be 8%. If I close CURA and restart it, all is OK and correct.

On Connect there is an irregular loss of connection, but it is restored after 5-15 seconds.

2. What you mean? No part fell on the print by changing or new printing. I use only PLA and BreakAway and for me, it works now.

3. Would be great. Perhaps, we can set the time span (e.g. 6h) for "not unloading" throug ourself on Connect, Cloud, Display or in CURA.

4. Thanks for the information. I understand this procedure with the Printcore, which was not currently active. But why does it have to be done with the printcore that is currently active some seconds before? This has or should have enough material in it.

Posted (edited) · [UM S5] Camera feed stopping

@robinmdh

Some information about the connectivity issue:

Start of printing, yesterday (09.06.), about 12:30, Print duration 1d 1h 31m.

Pict 1: CURA, screenshot taken today, 13:08. Take a look to the percentage progress bar and the end time.

Prob-UMS5-Connect-CURA.thumb.png.6d7acf0970382343aa41e98543bfaae2.png

Pict2: Connect WebPage, same time. Specially: The print which has ended (Beendet) after 5h 29m is the same which is actually in printing mode and the same, which is above (Finishes in 1d 1h 31m). This are not 2 different prints.

Prob-UMS5-Connect-Connect.thumb.png.e87b13cd665e615471482ea51b3796db.png

Pict3: Display, same time. The "real" duration until ending.

Prob-UMS5-Connect-S5-Disp.thumb.png.9bfefb7198fab4ea852256555f91831f.png

In all cases, the camera feed is running.

I've tried 3h before finishing the actual print to print a new object to the printer. After this, the process take a very long time. In CURA, the printer was lose and on Connect, the picture below is showing. This for about 1 minute. After this time, the new object is showing as in the queue.

image.thumb.png.f38034af65f3e620504350ec584166ac.png

After 2 hours, I take a look. Now I have an other problem. The print in the queue would not be printed. The error msg is in German. But I think you know what this means.

Result: I must switch of my S5 and restart it. Why?

Prob-UMS5-Connect-NewPrint.thumb.png.ec3674ac559be95e85e2040a3ba0c807.png

Prob-UMS5-Connect-Connect.png

Prob-UMS5-Connect-S5-Disp.png

Prob-UMS5-Connect-NewPrint.png

Edited by Roli4711
    Additonal Informations