Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
siddolo

Create new material profile

Posted · Create new material profile

Hi,

how to proper create a new material profile?

If I create a profile from "Material" -> "Manage material" -> "Create", I will see only the form related to information and general settings (Printing and bed temp, flow, retraction, fan).

Editing the xml.fdm_material file created by "Export" in the same dialog, i will see extra printing settings and different profile for each printer. How to edit all the information?

Thanks in advance

xml.png

settings.png

info.png

Hi.
To edit just open your material file in any text editor and add only needed material parameters (another you can delete), like this

2020-01-27_12h51_37.thumb.png.e877f36fffd16df20598f292c1817f8a.png

Hi

The more complicated question is - where do you get information on some of the more obscure settings? That seems to be a bit difficult. Best to start from a material that is close to your target and just leave them alone. 

Bob

29 minutes ago, uncle_bob said:

The more complicated question is - where do you get information on some of the more obscure settings? That seems to be a bit difficult. Best to start from a material that is close to your target and just leave them alone. 

Hi.

Settings description you can find in pop-up tips in Cura interface.
Or you can find it here and here.

20 minutes ago, Alexus-12 said:

Hi.

Settings description you can find in pop-up tips in Cura interface.
Or you can find it here and here.

Hi

Indeed the file on Git does help. However you ultimately get to things like "surface energy" and a whole bunch of things described as "material station internal". 

Bob

2 minutes ago, uncle_bob said:

Indeed the file on Git does help. However you ultimately get to things like "surface energy" and a whole bunch of things described as "material station internal".

Sorry, I really don't know what these parameters mean. I took it from one of standard file which present in Cura installation. 😞

2 minutes ago, Alexus-12 said:

Sorry, I really don't know what these parameters mean. I took it from one of standard file which present in Cura installation. 😞

Hi

At this point it's not real clear that anybody outside the "select few" at Ultimaker know what some of the parameters mean. My only point was that when you run into those, just leave them as they are. The now show up in a lot of the default material files. 

Bob