UM 2 Rod poking out of case

cor3ys

Posted · UM 2 Rod poking out of case

Well cor3ys I've learned a bit since you posted this picture:

gallery_21401_261_1051937.jpg

Namely I have one of my own. That picture shows the problem nicely. The belt needs to be lined up with the rod. So after you push the rod back in, loosen the set screw on that upper pulley in the picture. Then slide the pulley so it is perfectly centered above the rod in the picture (the lower rod). Then retighten the heck out of the pulley. When it is centered, the black spacer should be now touching the case and doing it's job.

Now of course the *other* side will be loose so you need to fix that side also.

edit: actually the other side is probably fine.

Just my 2 cents, I don't own an UM2 right now.

The pulley-spacer design is a smart one. It is self-aligning and makes end caps obsolete.

Set screws provide a frictional locking, dependent on their tightening torque, which is limited by their (tiny) size. The rotational torque won't be a problem, there is only some frictional resistance to overcome. However, any longitudinal movement of the rods and pulleys is like banging into a wall. So, with everything in place and no play, things should be fine. If there is some play which allows the rods to move and build up inertia, shit will happen sooner or later.

My recommendation would be like gr5's: Just slide the pulley against the spacer and then against the outer wall. But don't care about centering the pulley to the rod above. Ultimaker should have designed the length of the spacers to do so automatically. Any play is bad.

What speeds are you printing at? I've just had to tighten pulleys once, where one pulley had come loose after initial shipping. After loosening, adjusting the black spacers to the sides while keeping the rod aligned with chassis and then tightening them I have not had to re-tighten them. Many long prints of which one was 44 hours and multiple 11 hours. Though I have mainly printed these at 50mm/s and one 11 hour print at 100mm/s.

Hi cor3ys,

I will sent you a replacement set of set screws just to be sure.

Like some say above, loosen the misaligned pulley, set everything right and tighten the hell out of it.

The spacer will put it at the correct position.

A new set will be heading your way.

What speeds are you printing at? I've just had to tighten pulleys once, where one pulley had come loose after initial shipping. After loosening, adjusting the black spacers to the sides while keeping the rod aligned with chassis and then tightening them I have not had to re-tighten them. Many long prints of which one was 44 hours and multiple 11 hours. Though I have mainly printed these at 50mm/s and one 11 hour print at 100mm/s.

I am printing at 50mm/s fastest i have printed was 80mm/s...

Hi cor3ys,

I will sent you a replacement set of set screws just to be sure.

Like some say above, loosen the misaligned pulley, set everything right and tighten the hell out of it.

The spacer will put it at the correct position.

A new set will be heading your way.

Hi Sandrer

i have been round and tightened all the pulleys as much as i can, i have done 3 prints so far about 11 hours and nothing has shifted yet so i am hoping all will be fine now.

Has anyone tried Loctite threadlocker blue? so you don't have to tighten it so much where it might strip, I'm just asking if this would work?? I wouldn't want to tighten it so much where it strips and really be a problem..

it protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration.

link:

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_lkr_blue/overview/loctite-threadlocker-blue-242.htm