Serious problems with Ultimaker S5 (on 2 machines) [Solved]

DrCeeVee

Posted · Serious problems with Ultimaker S5 (on 2 machines) [Solved]
1 minute ago, uncle_bob said:

Hi

If the problem was caused by a gcode error, you would (at the very least) see it on all S5 machines. You likely would see it on all machines when driven by Cura. As noted above, it does not appear to be a gcode error.

Bob

Yes, assuming you printed the same file, or had the same configuration.   As an example of that, I was seeing the problem on my printer (not an S5 to be clear), every time I printed that file, but when I fixed the configuration and regenerated it (set all the temps the same), the problem went away as it no longer had a reason to pause.  (Although, it really shouldn't have been interpreting that command as one to pause, from what I saw in the GCode - so that could be a firmware issue on the printer)

On 1/29/2020 at 11:53 AM, DrCeeVee said:

What would help validate or reject my guess, is to compare printer stability between the new machines (S5, S3) and the old ones (3, 2+). If the old ones are rock-solid and don't freeze mid-print, no UI crashing, no need for power-cycling, etc.,

@DrCeeVee

I've ran an Ultimaker 3+ for 3 years now, printing usually once a day (1-6hr prints) , and can't remember a single instance of a Software crash (on the machine,) especially mid-print.   Cura itself DOES crash, but that's irrelevant to the sent Gcode.  There have been no memorable cases where I've needed to power cycle EXCEPT during setup: 

• Sometimes the Prime Blob goes crazy (3x volume) and then gets dragged over to print (haven't seen that too much this year.
    • If I mess with the print cores, or leapfrog prompts, it will give a Print core temp error, and I'll have to Off/On.  But these are both Pre-Print, or Early print.

All issues I have typically point back to my operator error, such as

• customizing Cura settings, w/out calibrating/testing the speed ups, changes etc. 
    • Wet filament,
    • Dirty Feeders, Lubrication, Print heads clogged...

the long-term, weekly and monthly Maintenance that IS critical to quality operation.   This is all very well covered on UM Support on the web, but are all  totally unnecessary for a brand new machine.  My UM3+ machine's test print and ALL my prints for the first 9 months at least were PERFECT, from a machine hardware perspective. Using UM Filament.

Also, I hate the rotary dial, and 4x20 LCD... it sucks as a GUI... So S3/S5 are going the right direction.

Also:   @DrCeeVee)  There is SO much competition right now in FFF printers, of all sizes, that it's easy to pluck a Cheap-ass, New, open frame printer with a fraction of the features, and worry that it seems flawless out of the box... but we won't sing the same tune 2 years down the road, when we need deep UM support, and a community of Masterful tinkerers to point the way.  Granted, they SHOULD whisk those damn buggy printers back to the factory and bend over backwards to fix your issues ASAP.  My $6K and your $10k is too much to spend on poorly QC'd or Calibrated machine... and I point to my own 9 mo. of perfect prints as a reasonable expectation at this price point.  In this environment of bleeding edge competition, you could spend 50% less for a similar spec'd printer (likely open-frame) , but you likely won't be getting the history and community of sound engineering.  Do your research on Cel-Robox, Raise3D, BCN3D... and I personally would still come back to Ultimaker for my first production printer.

• Like 2
    • Thanks 1

@SefPinneyStudio: Many thanks for your reply, that's the kind of response I'm after. Hands-on experience and an informed opinion. I'm really glad your experience with your Ultimaker is positive. As you've correctly stated, there's not much else to choose from, when it comes to raw specifications. Perhaps the MakerBot Method X, but that's not so easy to get at the moment, and has yet to prove its worth, and it's a closed system in terms of filament and s/w. OTOH, the Ultimaker S5 is available now and has it all, on paper at least. When it works as intended, it can produce stunning results. I've seen it happening on both S5 machines I've had. Sure, they have issues, major ones, but when they do behave, they really shine. The only thing I want is to be able to rely on them to not freeze mid-print and create blobs of material all over, or crash constantly, with my left hand permanently on the back to turn them off/on all the time.

Your post, as well as Carla's and Bob's, and all those speaking in favour of the machine, kind of reassure me that it is possible to have an S5 that is stable and reliable. I just hope that when it is delivered next week, it's going to be that printer. Earlier today I spoke with the reseller, and he told me that they narrowed it down to a poorly updated firmware, and the printer is currently printing constantly and without problems. Well, I'm not yet willing to accept their word, certainly not before seeing the prints with my own eyes and using the printer myself for some time.

Will update this thread as I have more info on the situation. Hopefully very soon I'll have a fully working S5 in my hands. 💪

• Like 2

If the printer freeze mid-print, it could be a power problem. Is your printer linked up to a Back up UPS? Because if you are in a work place set up and people are turning machines, tools off and on it might make a power dip what could crash the printer. So it's good to run a backup UPS, plus if you get a power cut you got a good 5-10 min to pause the printer and hope the power comes back on so you lessen the risk of a lost print.

• Like 1

Hi

If we are talking about a "several seconds" sort of stall ...... a power outage that long will reboot the computer(s) in the S5. It will be *very* noticeable.  

Indeed, a UPS is a very good idea when printing. The biggest trick is to make sure the unit you have will handle the power involved (the bundle system  is rated at 500W (??) ). Loosing a print 5 days into the run because the lights blink is *not* any fun. 

Since the S5 and Material Station have independent power supplies. There is the weird case where one drops out and the other does not. Without a lot of tearing things down there is no way to know which one would die first. One would *hope* that the Material Station goes second or that the S5 is smart enough to catch the problem .... 

Bob

With a UPS i would always play safe and get one bigger than the power draw, the more over the longer the backup will last before you drain it in a power cut. Spikes in power can make problems with computers what can happen in work place settings where starting a machine or something up could mean the printer does not get the full power needed.

The UPS i have on my S5 is 900VA/540W and it copes fine and i get a good 10-15 min (if you pause the printer when power drops out) I need to look as getting a much bigger one because my S5 is getting a twin on Friday when my second S5 comes to help share some the print load with the first.

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted (edited) · Serious problems with Ultimaker S5 (on 2 machines) [Solved]

Hello everyone,

Very good news! I'm pleased to announce that all reported problems with the Ultimaker S5 have now been fixed! I will edit my first post to let readers know about this. Below I will describe the root cause of the problems, so that it may help someone who may be having similar issues.

Continuing on from my previous posts, two days ago I went to the reseller's shop to check things out with the printer (it had been returned to the reseller for testing), and everything was fine. I saw some very beautiful prints that were made with the printer (this is the 2nd Ultimaker S5, out of the two units that were shipped to us, both seemingly having problems). Arrangements were made to deliver the printer to our lab. All good up to this point.

The printer arrived at our lab yesterday. The reseller unboxed it, started setting things up, etc. To our horror and dismay, the printer started crashing, freezing, and not being able to complete setup and preparation for printing. We just couldn't explain how it was possible for the printer to misbehave in our lab when it was absolutely fine in the reseller's shop. We even considered the mains power supply quality, and moved the printer to a different power source (we have many separate power sources at our lab). Still the same problems.

A colleague of mine jumped in and casually commented on something that eventually led us to the solution to all problems with the printer. He said "guys, you do realise that our Wi-Fi is on a defense-secured military network, right?" Right! All of our Wi-Fi equipment and internet gateway are specially set-up by our MoD for defense-grade security. Although we are allowed to surf in certain areas of the internet, check our mails, etc., we are not allowed to do many things. As it turned out, the Wi-Fi traffic that the Ultimaker S5 was generating was being blocked, or otherwise affected by the security mechanisms of our network. When we disabled Wi-Fi on the printer, everything was absolutely fine, no issues whatsoever! We did two test prints which came out perfect, loaded/unloaded filament, changed materials, and various other things, with no problems whatsoever.

Based on my experience, I would suggest to the Ultimaker developer team to examine their code in relation to network/Wi-Fi connectivity. It may be a good idea for the printer to do some sort of test to see if the Wi-Fi module communicates properly with the local network and the internet, and display a warning to the user, or even disable Wi-Fi altogether. I believe our network (due to its defense-grade security) created a situation that was never encountered before by the Ultimaker S5, and the Wi-Fi module went haywire because of that, taking everything down with it.

tl;dr: If you're having problems with your Ultimaker S5 printer, make sure your Wi-Fi (possibly also your Ethernet) network is not heavily secured due to company restrictions/policies that may prevent the printer from communicating properly with your PC and the internet. Disable Wi-Fi and see if the problems go away.

In closing, I want to thank everyone, Ultimaker HQ, the local reseller, and the Ultimaker community, for all your help in this. At last, I'm finally able to enjoy my Ultimaker S5!

Edited by DrCeeVee
    Corrected syntax.
    • Like 2

2 hours ago, Carla_Birch said:

Happy to see you got them working, happy printing hopefully now going forward.

Many thanks Carla! Already enjoying it immensely.

Just to put things in perspective, we've just compared prints between the Ultimaker S5 and the Anycubic i3 Mega (cheap Chinese printer), and it was day and night... The Anycubic is very good for its price, but absolutely nowhere near the quality of the Ultimaker S5, which wins hands down in layer uniformity, speed, repeatability, tolerance accuracy, and first layer flatness.

The saying "you get what you pay for" is once more confirmed. Really happy to be able to enjoy this fine machine.

• Like 1

Great to hear your printers are working now!

I forwarded your WiFi findings to my colleagues working on the S5 printer's firmware. We had WiFi related problem reports before, but could never reproduce it. Your report gives some new details that hopefully will help find the problem.