========================================================

[Unit]
Description=mjpg-streamer, Webcam streaming for all on /dev/video%i
BindsTo=dev-video%i.device

[Service]
Type=simple
User=ultimaker
Environment=LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/mjpg-streamer
ExecStart=/usr/bin/mjpg-streamer -i "input_uvc.so -r SXGA -d /dev/video%i" -o "output_http.so -p 808%i"
Restart=always
RestartSec=10
TimeoutSec=1

systemctl daemon-reload

systemctl restart mjpg-streamer@0

Disable Dev mode via the front touch panel.

Posted · Ultimaker S5 Camera Not Working
    48 minutes ago, Admehnistrator said:

modify /lib/systemd/system/mjpg-streamer\@.service to the below:

enable Dev via the front touch panel.

SSH to the S5 as user root pass ultimaker

vi /lib/systemd/system/mjpg-streamer\@.service

[Unit]

[Service]
    Type=simple
    User=ultimaker
    ExecStart=/usr/bin/mjpg-streamer -i "input_uvc.so -r SXGA -d /dev/video%i" -o "output_http.so -p 808%i"
    Restart=always
    RestartSec=10
    TimeoutSec=1

systemctl daemon-reload

Disable Dev mode via the front touch panel.

What does this accomplish?  Does it prevent the service from stopping (or at least let it restart reliably)?  And are you changing the resolution to a higher value here?

5 minutes ago, jeffroe said:

What does this accomplish?  Does it prevent the service from stopping (or at least let it restart reliably)?  And are you changing the resolution to a higher value here?

yes, it allows the restart to be more reliable...  the resolution change is just to maximize what the camera is capable of on the S5.  If you try a resolution larger, mjpg-streamer will just force it to max allowed by the camera.

I've been using the system like this for 3 days, and the camera has not failed once.  previously, it failed after a few hours if i was lucky to make it that long.

I think the problem is when it tries to restart with the default setting (3 sec) its not actually releasing the device fast enough for the new service to grab it.  the 10 sec seems to work really well for me.... ymmv

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Admehnistrator said:

yes, it allows the restart to be more reliable...  the resolution change is just to maximize what the camera is capable of on the S5.  If you try a resolution larger, mjpg-streamer will just force it to max allowed by the camera.

I've been using the system like this for 3 days, and the camera has not failed once.  previously, it failed after a few hours if i was lucky to make it that long.

I think the problem is when it tries to restart with the default setting (3 sec) its not actually releasing the device fast enough for the new service to grab it.  the 10 sec seems to work really well for me.... ymmv

Great - thanks!  (and I love the name, btw...)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everybody, 

Hope you are all well. I am happy to inform you that the new firmware has been approved after testing. This means we will move forward with the release next week. This message is not an official release notice, but I've told you I would let you know as soon as more information is available, so here we are. We still have to prepare some things for the actual release, hence it will be next week. When it is officially released the release notes will be published in the firmware thread. You can follow the category and receive a notification when a new post is added. I hope knowing help is on the way will make up for something. 

Have a great weekend, 

On 5/29/2020 at 4:08 PM, SandervG said:

Hello everybody, 

Hope you are all well. I am happy to inform you that the new firmware has been approved after testing. This means we will move forward with the release next week. This message is not an official release notice, but I've told you I would let you know as soon as more information is available, so here we are. We still have to prepare some things for the actual release, hence it will be next week. When it is officially released the release notes will be published in the firmware thread. You can follow the category and receive a notification when a new post is added. I hope knowing help is on the way will make up for something. 

Have a great weekend, 

Will it be fixed in the Ultimaker 3 extended also.

Because i did all steps the same for my ultimaker 3 and the issue keeps comming back.

i now use a ssh script to reactivate the camera (which works always) but it would be nice if its solved in the firmware

@jeffroe How do I restart it?

[Unit]

[Service]
    Type=simple
    User=ultimaker
    ExecStart=/usr/bin/mjpg-streamer -i "input_uvc.so -r SXGA -d /dev/video%i" -o "output_http.so -p 808%i"
    Restart=always
    RestartSec=10
    TimeoutSec=1

systemctl daemon-reload

idk how to reboot it

Not sure I understand the question. 

Do you know how to use ssh? 

Did you get into the linux system on the printer?

Did you locate the service file?

Did you edit it?

Are you familiar with the vi editor?  If not I think you might be able to use the nano editor which is pretty easy.

To restart your printer you turn it off and on again.  But I'm pretty sure you already knew that.

2 hours ago, gr5 said:

Not sure I understand the question. 

Do you know how to use ssh? 

Did you get into the linux system on the printer?

Did you locate the service file?

Did you edit it?

Are you familiar with the vi editor?  If not I think you might be able to use the nano editor which is pretty easy.

To restart your printer you turn it off and on again.  But I'm pretty sure you already knew that.

I got into the linux system of the printer to edit the resolution of the camera using mjpg-streamer. No I am not familiar with the vi editor. Also how do I use the nano editor? 

I was asking is how can I save the edit of the mjpg-streamer file

I don't think you should be messing with this stuff if you aren't at least at a beginner level linux user.  You can brick your printer very easily if you make a mistake by just a single character in your edits.  Maybe you have a friend.  Maybe it's time to learn some linux.

However to answer your questions, use google.  Google "using nano editor in linux" or spend an hour or two learning vi (not recommended - vi is pretty universally hated as you will see once you try to use it).  Linux is an extremely popular operating system.  So there are millions of things on the internet to help you learn it and use it and configure it for every possible thing you can think of.

Unfortunately if you make one bad edit on an ultimaker printer configuration file such as this one, the Ultimaker code refuses to launch the ssh daemon if there are certain typos in these config files and so once you reboot the printer you can't get back in using ssh to fix it.  So then you have a bricked printer that won't print and you have to open up the printer to get physical access and you need either a serial cable or use a uSD to do the (not trivial) recovery procedure and start over.