sduck

Settings Guide plugin not showing

Posted · Settings Guide plugin not showing

Hello! First post here, excuse obvious newb question(s). 

I've been looking at several videos about setting up cura for first time use. It was recommended that I install the Settings Guide plugin in the marketplace, which I've done, but for whatever reason it's not showing up in the extensions like (I think) it's supposed to. Despite the marketplace saying that it's installed. Is there a trick to this I'm missing?

This is on a relatively new Macbook Pro running macOS 10.15.3 Catalina, in Cura 4.4.1. I've tried resetting the app by deleting the cura folder in ~/library/application support and resetting everything up, no change. 

This is a problem in connection with the MacOS. MacOS does not allow any menu item starting with "Setting", so the plugin does not display the menu item.

You can fix it yourself, go to the CUra configuration folder, then plugins -> SettingsGuide2 and open the file CuraSettingsGuide.py

Search for this line of code:

self.addMenuItem("Settings Guide", self.startWelcomeGuide)

And use something else for the menu item name:

self.addMenuItem("My Settings Guide", self.startWelcomeGuide)

Restart Cura and it should be shown in the menu bar.

• Like 1

Thanks. Indeed I wasn't aware.

Bug reports for my plug-in are best reported here: https://github.com/Ghostkeeper/SettingsGuide/issues

I get a notification then.

Workaround for now is to open the guide by right-clicking on a setting you'd like to learn about. I'll try to find a solution before the next release of the plug-in. Maybe it helps to replace it with the Cyrillic character "Ѕ", which looks almost the same.

Thanks so much for all this help! You guys rock!

@ghostkeeper I am sorry to say, but the menu item is not shown. It is generally strange, because I tried to use a complete different name too "Cura Guide" in ine 53, but it is still not working. The context menu in line 67 is working, but this was always the case.

The "Settings Visibility" plugin from Aldo was working as soon as we choosed another name. So I guess you do something different to show the menu item. I haven't checked if you use a different function.

I see now that I've edited the wrong one. Could you re-test with this plug-in? SettingsGuide7.0.0.zip

As you can imagine, without a MacOS computer I'm sort of programming in the blind, so thanks for your help! You get a free preview of version 2.2 with the troubleshooting pages ;)

No problem, I am here and happy to help 🙂

But sorry....

image.png.48f6d350f1feec7a02982ae64922b397.png

Context menu is working

image.thumb.png.94a5aa841821af430025966e8f612e4e.png

@Smithy can I ask you to give it one more try on your computer? I've taken a look at how fieldOfView solved this in his plug-in and found something that was probably the solution for him.

You can download it here: SettingsGuide7.0.0.zip You might have to uninstall an old version first. This one has version number 2.1.99, newer than the Marketplace version but not yet 2.2 (so you can still upgrade later).

This version also completes the guide-in-setting-tooltips feature for 2.2, but that's just bonus 😉

55 minutes ago, ghostkeeper said:

I've taken a look at how fieldOfView solved this in his plug-in and found something that was probably the solution for him.

Now I'm curious. What did I do?

4 hours ago, ahoeben said:

Now I'm curious. What did I do?

You did this! https://github.com/fieldOfView/Cura-SettingVisibilityProfileCreator/commit/0d41f8af7ba97d7a9c1d518a0a6f05226618a187

I did something similar: https://github.com/Ghostkeeper/SettingsGuide/commit/6d0b97cfa16d92438ed35a57b97c84fc92d7ee74

Thanks for helping with the testing, Smithy! I'm working on finishing up the release this weekend. This is crucial since the plug-in got broken in Cura 4.5...

• Like 2

I'm not sure if I love or hate that trick with the Cyrillic S. Probably both 😉