FishicallyDumb

HELP: cura keeps leaving holes in my models.

Posted (edited) · HELP: cura keeps leaving holes in my models.

So im trying to edit some .stl files to use in cura. Im using Sketchup to edit the file, export as .dae, and convert to stl thru Accutrans3d. 

image.thumb.png.3339398024d902a90c56275cb3edbccf.png

This is the unedited file on the right and the edited file on the left. Everything looks good. But as soon as i go to preview to view the layers:

image.thumb.png.4eacc561f03527d0b76af2c0400e5f2e.png

Why is this happening and how do i fix it.

Also sketchup:

image.thumb.png.0019a06a3498a95e00deeb07b1d2cb26.png

Thanks.

Edited by FishicallyDumb

Posted · HELP: cura keeps leaving holes in my models.

Sketchup is infamous for it's ability to create meshes that look good, but are a complete mess in reality.

I suspect that's the case here as well. If you look at the model in x-ray view (preview; selector in the top menu bar called "view type"), and you see red areas, the model is broken. There are a number of online tools that do their best to fix it, but they might not always succeed.

Posted · HELP: cura keeps leaving holes in my models.

The screendumps below show why you should not use SketchUp. The vectors do not match up, they do not connect. So you do not get watertight solid models. SketchUp models are a mix of separate surfaces and half-solid parts. Especially if you then do boolean operations on these, it becomes a mess.

Below this effect is shown in simple text, before it is extruded into 3D, but the same also happens in other SketchUp models.

SketchUp was designed for visual representations only: of buildings, like in games, or for Google's original Earth and Maps views. Not for 3D-printing.

If you want to use it for 3D-printing, you manually have to zoom in extremely, and manuall move and close the vectors (see the red arrows where the gaps are that need to be closed).

gaps_in_sketchup_models.thumb.jpg.a4f8e6c30556f2a86d47ce70d80f6c58.jpg

Characters with openings (non-matching vectors) don't fill, don't extrude correctly into 3D, and give problems when printing. Idem for other models.

gaps_in_sketchup_models2.thumb.jpg.58c243839e7e5d5dc74ccb1dbdd602bb.jpg

A better solution is to use a program that is designed for modeling solids, for 3D-printing. I use DesignSpark Mechanical. Other people use Onshape, or Fusion360, or (student versions) of Solidworks, and lots of other packages.

Search on Youtube for demo videos of 3D-editing programs, and then try one that appeals to you.