PhantomGnom

5S "Difference between detected height of both PrintCores exceeds realistic values

Posted · 5S "Difference between detected height of both PrintCores exceeds realistic values

Hi there,

this printer drives me crazy... First the issue with the active leveling, caused by the cabling of the front fan, crossing the level sensor, and after I was able to fix it with the great support from this forum just by moving the black and white cable to the outer left position, I get this new error. It is there all the time without disappearing by:

- manual leveling several times

- switching the print cores several times from AA to BB to AA AA and so on

- Following the 2 videos

- Updating the firmware to todays latest version

If he tries to raise the table to the right print core, he stops about 10mm before touching it. After that, he is using the level switch to to the same procedure with the lift print head, where he is able to touch. Sure, the result is "Difference between detected height of both PrintCores exceeds realistic values" as he does not touch the glas surface with both cores. I really don´´t know what to do else. To be honest.... 6500€ for this printer, what should run like a charm... I am very close to send this machine back... If I would have such issues with my second printer of another brand... Any ideas about this issue? 

See the video I have taken: https://www.icloud.com/photos/#0LmoSP_rUEkxmcClPQxR5tsJA

Posted · 5S "Difference between detected height of both PrintCores exceeds realistic values
On 2/4/2020 at 10:16 PM, PhantomGnom said:

Looks like you have a static electrical charge on the build plate that saturates the sensor.

Did you made the sensor test ?

Is the printer properly grounded ?

thanks for your reply.

I went through the sensor test several times. Each time successfully. 

I did no additional grounding, just plugging it in, where it should be grounded by default, or should I?

17 minutes ago, PhantomGnom said:

I did no additional grounding, just plugging it in, where it should be grounded by default, or should I?

If your mains are properly grounded, it should be OK just plugin in your printer.

Better check it.

Remember it is a capacitive sensor who makes the bed leveling, triggered by the point where there is no more change in the electrical charge, normally when your nozzle is touching the build plate.

But if you saturate your sensor, reaching a plateau, before your nozzle actually touches the build plate, it will trigger the sensor.

I replugged the printer and did an additional grounding. Actually, the printer seems to work. Very very faulty and sensitive setup...

The S5 setup is pretty clever as it accounts for thermal expansion (not 100%, but way much than other brands), but it is sensitive to electrostatic charge, as it uses it to measure.

It would have been the same with a standard capacitive sensor used as a probe.`

You should have your mains ground checked by a professional.