LePaul

Anyone tried the Ultimaker S5 flexplates?

Posted · Anyone tried the Ultimaker S5 flexplates?

Hello

My workplace recently purchased two Ultimaker S5's and we are noticing that it's quite tough to get prints off the glass bed.  (Kudos to the active leveling!)

I noticed PrintedSolid sells the magnetic flexplate system for the S5.  I recently bought one for my 2+ but been too busy to even unbox it!

Has anyone used it on the S5?  Thoughts?

https://www.printedsolid.com/products/flexplate-system-for-ultimaker-s5

Going by what filament you use, just let the glass to cool down and the prints just pop off, compressed air cans can help speed this up also.

Not used the flexplates, but i have seen a few places have started to sell them now, hopefully they don't make active leveling to start to have a problem and they stay flat if printing a big print. Personally i just take a print out and put another glass in to start printing why the other print cools.

Using Ultimaker Tough PLA, we let them cool for a few hours and they are stuck on there super good.  

On my home printers, I don't print as close to the glass as the S5 does (7 printers at home)

ToughPLA can be hard to remove, I already chipped 2 glass plates. Only a thick layer of glue helped a little bit or the UM adhesion sheets - not for adhesion, just to protect the glass.

I haven't tried a flex plate personally on the S5, but on the UM3 and it is ok. I use the system from Filafarm and they also offer a plate for the S5, so maybe I will buy it for the S5 too.

https://www.filafarm.de/collections/wechselsysteme/products/switch?variant=12254570217583

Or try the Z offset plugin to adjust the distance.

Tell me us more about this plugin @Smithy.

This thread came at a good time. I usually let my prints cool off and they pop off even when I use magigoo. However I completely damaged one of my glass plates last night printing ABS.  Does not matter the size of the part the glass was chipped and missing large chunks. 

I did let the part and glass cool down overnight. Apparently that is a no no with ABS. But honestly at times I am not around when the printer is doing its work and sometimes it finishes early in the morning while I am still sleeping.

With all this said I was to also experiment with a flex plate or some sort. too bad they (ultimaker) decided to not make the alum, plate. Maybe I can make one and just mill it flat.

has anyone tired garolite? 

How do adhesives like Magigoo work on a steel sheet instead of a glass plate?

Or, to put it the other way round, how do you account for the fact that the Ultimaker sinks the heated up nozzle into the surface of the printbed when active levelling?

I've come to the conclusion that polymer surfaces like standard Buildtak are not compatible to the S3 and the S5 because of this. The nozzle sinks into the surface - on the right side of the print bed, not on the left, because it has cooled off by then - which can only lead to a skewed and untrue leveling result IMO. No such problem with glue or magigoo of course.

any thoughts?

PS on an UM3 Buildtak works because the active bed leveling can be deactivated :P 

You can also put the plate and parts in the freezer (after it cools a little; don't put an 80 degree Celsius plate of glass in the freezer).

The Filafarm switch plate works also with active leveling on my UM3, so it should work also on the S5. The set contains a new glass plate which is thinner, to keep the overall thickness.

@BiMNrd Regarding the plugin, there is nothing special to say, you can adjust the Z distance, so you are able to "correct" a active leveling if you think it is too close to the bed. Personally I haven't tried it, I think you have to do some tests, to find a perfect value between good adhesion and not too good 🙂 

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm going to order the spring steel/flexplate from PS and give that a go

I've tried the glass in the freezer bit in the past.  Fun for hobby use, not entirely practical for the amount of printing these machines will do in a laboratory. 

I agree w the plate in the freezer, takes too long. 

I was able to make tweaks to the UM ABS profile and air manager to:

Make easier to remove

Get rid of the elephant's foot i was seeing (more of that)

Thanks, please post a link to the plate ypu are getting. 

31 minutes ago, BiMNrd said:

I agree w the plate in the freezer, takes too long. 

I was able to make tweaks to the UM ABS profile and air manager to:

Make easier to remove

Get rid of the elephant's foot i was seeing (more of that)

Thanks, please post a link to the plate ypu are getting. 

I did in the first post  🙂

8 minutes ago, BiMNrd said:

oh wow, europe... =(

image.png.8b9db4230ae44ffed37ca19538430873.png

Should be no problem 🙂 

Hi

Hair spray on glass has worked for a *long* time on the UM3. The same thing seems to be doing fine on the S5. That's with PLA and with tough PLA (also with non-UM tough PLA versions)

Bob