How to connect two pieces of filament ?

c_popa

Posted (edited) · How to connect two pieces of filament ?

Hello,

I have a lot of  CPE+ wire 2.85mm "leftovers", too small to be used for printing an entire part, but also too long to be scrapped. Is a solution to join them in a single wire ? I tried to weld two ends (using a lighter), but the rate of success is about 5%... 

Edited by c_popa

Posted · How to connect two pieces of filament ?

Hi,

there's a helpful tutorial in this forum:

https://community.ultimaker.com/files/file/1650-filament-verbinden-filament-splicing-tutorial/

Just using a lighter seems not to work very well, using a hot (preferably flat) soldering iron works better. Very important (and a bit tricky) is to remove the burr and ensure the filament is not to thick to enter the extruder.

Regards

Thank you, I will follow your suggestion. I was thinking also to a solvent wich can dissolve the material locally (the two ends), but I found no such chemical stuff. 

Best regards, and happy printing !

I have tried it this way:

- cut off both filament ends at 90°,

- heat a knife in a flame,

- align both filament ends in a holder (see pic), and push them down with your fingers,

- insert the hot knife in-between both ends, and push both ends onto the hot knife (don't push your fingers onto the hot knife),

- let these ends melt a little bit,

- remove knife, and push both ends together, so they melt into each other,

- keep pushing them down, and let them cool and solidify,

- using a Dremel tool or similar, cut off the flanges, otherwise it won't go through the feeder and bowden tube. This is the worst part of the procedure.

This works well, and it is usefull if you want to join different colors for artistic purposes.

But for normal daily use, in my opinion, it isn't worth the time and effort.

I keep left-over ends for doing cold pulls, or for plying them into hooks, or chains, or so.

filament_houder1.thumb.jpg.f1ec846c5d3d0178a552aaaffa38b670.jpg

Tkank you all ! Now I have enough solutions (ideas) to try. Also, I have the proof that imagination and engineering can solve any problem ...

All the best and enjoy printing !

Hello. Would you be interested in buying a device which allows for plug-and-play perfect filament fusing? I mean that you just have to power it up and it can fuse perfectly materials in an instant.
    If so, how much would you pay for such a device?

Thanks!

7 hours ago, thelemurking said:

Hello. Would you be interested in buying a device which allows for plug-and-play perfect filament fusing? I mean that you just have to power it up and it can fuse perfectly materials in an instant.
    If so, how much would you pay for such a device?

Thanks!

No, not worth it for me.