S5 priming filament keeps getting stock in lead screw

DBVOLA

Posted · S5 priming filament keeps getting stock in lead screw

After we installed a Ultimaker Material Station, we been having problems with the priming filament getting stuck in the S5 Z-axes lead screw. Is there a fix coming for this problem?

IMG_1472.JPG

IMG_1486.JPG

• Like 3

Ouch, that doesn't look good... maybe some kind of telescoping Z screw guard could be installed? The segments would have to be rather short, obviously, since the minimum clearance to the build plate assembly is not that high...

I've allready seen 2-3 posts on this forum relating problems like this hopefully Ultimaker will find a solution...

Actually I see to many issues here with the S5 pro bundle to recommend it to anyone...

There are 2 aother cases related in this topic.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

Hi, thank you for sharing your experiences here. 

After reading your post yesterday I checked in with our product experts to get a feel for the frequency that this can happen and the severity of it when it does. I understood that it could happen quite rarely. Explains why there are 'only' 1 or 2 other reports here, and not more. (Obviously, 1 or 2 occurrences should be considered too much for any issue that exists). 

Luckily, the shouldn't result in any large or potentially damaging issues. 

As a fix, we are improving the priming sequence and in the near future it will prime less, which should prevent this from happening again. For the time being, I would suggest to keep an occasional eye on it and remove the strands when you see it. 

Our apologies for the inconvenience. 

8 minutes ago, SandervG said:

Hi, thank you for sharing your experiences here. 

After reading your post yesterday I checked in with our product experts to get a feel for the frequency that this can happen and the severity of it when it does. I understood that it could happen quite rarely. Explains why there are 'only' 1 or 2 other reports here, and not more. (Obviously, 1 or 2 occurrences should be considered too much for any issue that exists). 

Luckily, the shouldn't result in any large or potentially damaging issues. 

As a fix, we are improving the priming sequence and in the near future it will prime less, which should prevent this from happening again. For the time being, I would suggest to keep an occasional eye on it and remove the strands when you see it. 

Our apologies for the inconvenience. 

Hi

We are doing 5 to 8 prints a week. And this has happened 3 times in the last two weeks.

We will be looking forward to the update.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SandervG said:

I understood that it could happen quite rarely. Explains why there are 'only' 1 or 2 other reports here, and not more.

I'd say that's a wrong assumption. That there are only two posts on the forum don't mean that the problem isn't there or give and indikation on the problems size.

1: This bundle is mostly addressed to companies. Companies don't necessarily read or comment on the forum. 

2: People whit the problem see that its already adressed and just follow one of them, whit out commenting. Waiting for a solution.

3: People whit the problem have already returned the product.
    I personally had exactly the same problem, I haven't comment on it because I don't use that unit any more.

• Like 1

Luckily we have more intel than only this community to base that assumption on. Obviously we are relying on feedback we get from our customers and our partners / resellers, and if it is not reported we don't know (besides the testing and continuous printing we do ourselves). 

3: You stopped using the Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle because of this reason? Like I said we are working on optimizing the prime sequence to reduce the chances of this happening again. But until then, although an inconvenience, it shouldn't be a reason to stop using the Pro Bundle. 

Thank you for your feedback, I will share this back to our product experts to document. 

56 minutes ago, NBull said:

I'd say that's a wrong assumption. That there are only two posts on the forum don't mean that the problem isn't there or give and indikation on the problems size.

1: This bundle is mostly addressed to companies. Companies don't necessarily read or comment on the forum. 

2: People whit the problem see that its already adressed and just follow one of them, whit out commenting. Waiting for a solution.

3: People whit the problem have already returned the product.
    I personally had exactly the same problem, I haven't comment on it because I don't use that unit any more.

We (R&D dep.) returned our first Material Station in December. Then we bought a new one in February. The new one have less issues. But the software / firmware still needs some work.

• Like 1

Hi

I've been running the same sort of print schedule for at least a month now. I have never seen the issue. For whatever reason, the scrap all piles up at the side / front of the machine and stays there. It's not clear to me that I'm doing anything special other than cleaning out all the prime strings on a regular basis. 

Bob

2 minutes ago, uncle_bob said:

Hi

I've been running the same sort of print schedule for at least a month now. I have never seen the issue. For whatever reason, the scrap all piles up at the side / front of the machine and stays there. It's not clear to me that I'm doing anything special other than cleaning out all the prime strings on a regular basis. 

Bob

We are printing 90 % PET. We clean out two times per print job.

Hi

I'm running mostly tough PLA here. Best guess is 70% tough PLA and 30% PLA.

Bob

And I found the last post were this problem was related:

So this brings us effectively to at least 4 people who have reported this problem ont the forum.

The first in november 19, second in january 20 and now two in february 20.

I woudn't be suprised that the number of reports massively increase in the next few month as the number of users increase. (and probably some user will report this only after it has occured 2-3 times).

I must say this problem, + Wifi problem + camera stream problem and all sort of other bugs reported here gives me very less confidence in the UM S5 (with or without Pro bundle).

Hope this will get fixed in the next few months as I a trying to expand the use of 3D printing in our company or I won't be confident enough to recommend the S5 Pro alltough it has really great features on the datasheet...

• Like 2

Hi

On *any* of these gizmos, buying one in the first six to nine months makes you an "early adopter". The bundle setup has only been shipping in reasonable quantities for a month or two at this point. 3D printers are in no way unique in this respect. You can spend a couple hundred thousand dollars on this or that device and find the same sort of thing. 

What matters is that they *do* address the issues and do so in something less than a couple years. ( hopefully closer to a month or two). If they come out with a fix of some sort fairly promptly, that's about as good as it gets. 

( sitting here with the factory guy debugging a roughly 9 month old piece of gear that costs a bit more than the bundle did )

Bob

2 hours ago, uncle_bob said:

Hi

On *any* of these gizmos, buying one in the first six to nine months makes you an "early adopter". The bundle setup has only been shipping in reasonable quantities for a month or two at this point. 3D printers are in no way unique in this respect. You can spend a couple hundred thousand dollars on this or that device and find the same sort of thing. 

What matters is that they *do* address the issues and do so in something less than a couple years. ( hopefully closer to a month or two). If they come out with a fix of some sort fairly promptly, that's about as good as it gets. 

( sitting here with the factory guy debugging a roughly 9 month old piece of gear that costs a bit more than the bundle did )

Bob

Well, this is what beta tests are for. Not something for paying customers who rightfully expect a working solution. Other manufacturers also doing it the wrong way doesn't mean it has to be this way.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · S5 priming filament keeps getting stock in lead screw

This can be resolved by having the prime location only near the glass door. Its the second prime location in the back that seems to cause this issue, for us at least

Edited by CP_KTK

Hi @CP_KTK, thank you for your message. Did you already contact your reseller for the respooling issue and if one of your bays is not detecting filament properly? - Is the same filament being detected in another bay?

And is your PVA dry before you put it in the material station? An important nuance is that it keeps it dry, it doesn't make it dry. 

Are you often using the same material from one print job to the next? If so, we should be able to release an update relatively soon that should significantly reduce the amount and time currently used for priming. 

It happened to my colleague today 😖 It came with a lot of swearing...
    We are on the latest firmware.

18 minutes ago, DBVOLA said:
    It happened to my colleague today 😖 It came with a lot of swearing...
    We are on the latest firmware.

Hi, thank you for your message. What was the reason of the swearing? As far as I know, the string is relatively easy removed and doesn't lead to any problems. Did you or your colleague have a different experience? 

6 minutes ago, SandervG said:

Hi, thank you for your message. What was the reason of the swearing? As far as I know, the string is relatively easy removed and doesn't lead to any problems. Did you or your colleague have a different experience? 

His fingers got dirty 😄

We expected a improvement with the new firmware. But no...

7 hours ago, SandervG said:

Hi @CP_KTK, thank you for your message. Did you already contact your reseller for the respooling issue and if one of your bays is not detecting filament properly? - Is the same filament being detected in another bay?

And is your PVA dry before you put it in the material station? An important nuance is that it keeps it dry, it doesn't make it dry. 

Are you often using the same material from one print job to the next? If so, we should be able to release an update relatively soon that should significantly reduce the amount and time currently used for priming. 

I've contacted my reseller, but I'm outside of any return policy they offer. I've been working with Ultimaker technicians to figure this out. The respooling is a mystery to everyone, but when dis-assembling the Material Station, I saw a wire for the respooling function had some torn insulation, so maybe that's the issue? I re-seated that connection anyway, but haven't been able to print a job to see if that solved anything (Still getting ER56 when I try to use the Material Station). While the Material Station was taken apart, I disconnected and then reconnected all of the RFI readers, which seems to have resolved the detecting issue.

The PVA was put into the Material Station brand new. I now suspect the original packaging for that roll was compromised. I'm going to try a new roll of PVA when I get the Material Station back and running. And we don't change material often. Extruder 2 is almost exclusively PVA, while Extruder 1 is 80% Tough PLA, 15% TPU, and about 5% experimental (PC, UltraFuse, Nylon). I'd say we do 2-3 material changes a week.

I've arranged with the technicians to have the Material Station sent in for maintenance. I still get an ER56, even after unclogging the merger points (Which did, in fact, have broken PVA wedged in there)

• Like 1

I am getting a lot of ER56 as well, everything seems to be clean and smooth without PVA on the way. At this point I am not sure what the issue is. 

This has happened to me as well.  I actually have had my unit for only a couple days and it happened.  So not a rare issue.

PXL_20210418_121203768.jpg

• Like 1