S5 not seeing files on USB

tlangsmith

Posted (edited) · S5 not seeing files on USB

I am trying to update 2 S5s at my work. They are not connected to the internet, cannot be, and 

They have

5.1.8.20181207 and

Following the instructions on the Firmware Update page, I downloaded

rootfs-5.1.94.20190425.tar.xz

rootfs-5.1.94.20190425.tar.xz.sig

and placed them on a FAT32 USB.

when plugged into either S5, I went to >Update Firmware  and nothing appeared.

I attempted power cycling, factory resetting, reformatting to FAT32, zero pass reformatting to NTFS, CuraConnect resetting, and removing 'root' from the name. I have seen a lot of people on the forums saying they have issues verifying the firmware file, but for me it doesn't show up at all, the screen says 'update firmware' at the top with black underneath.

Downloaded with iexplorer, all filetypes are intact, I cant use a different USB stick either. Any ideas?

Edited by tlangsmith

Posted · S5 not seeing files on USB

It should work although I've only done it through the network.  

Note that you will need to update first to 5.1.94 and DO NOT PRINT anything with that version and then update to the latest version.

alright, loaded a new .ufp onto the USB root directory, those 2 printers saw it fine. Additionally,

I have used this same USB to update 6 other S5s to 5.4.27 that were purchased later and had firmware later than 5.1.94 from the factory, so I suspect that the usb works. 

I would recommend trying another browser other than internet explorer; I've seen it cause issues with firmware downloads before.

Just now, fbrc8-erin said:

I would recommend trying another browser other than internet explorer; I've seen it cause issues with firmware downloads before.

I will give that a shot. I don't have any other ideas at this point.

Posted (edited) · S5 not seeing files on USB
    4 hours ago, fbrc8-erin said:

Same result, downloaded with chrome.

EDIT: Reformatted again and used the files downloaded with chrome, it saw them. both updated all the way to 5.4.27 successfully.

Edited by tlangsmith
    • Like 1

The S5 with v5.1.8 can't find the update files on the USB drive. This release is already looking for the update files in the new *.swu file format, but soon after the release some changes were made so it needs to update to the intermediate 5.1.94 version which was only released in the older *.tar format. Sorry, we messed up this one and hence v5.1.8 was only available for download for a week I think. I was not directly working on that project, but I think the official work around is to do a network based update.

I understand you can't connect the printers to internet?

Then I suggest to install the firmware using the recovery method, this involves downloading the firmware to a micro SD card, removing the bottom cover from the printer and inserting the SD card. Ultimaker doesn't recommend this method for the S5 printers since there are dangerous high voltages inside (110V/230V) so take extra care to switch off the power before removing the bottom cover. An official guide is missing for the same reason, but you can use the attached UM3 guide. In fact, for the S5 it is easier since the SD card slot can be accessed without removing the UM3's USB cable.

When you are planning to use the S5 in combination with a Material Station and/or Air Manager you can download the recovery image v5.4.29 from: 

https://software.ultimaker.com/releases/firmware/9051/stable/5.4.27-20191212/um-restore-5.4.27-20191212.img

Without Material Station I recommend the older but very stable v5.2.11: 

https://software.ultimaker.com/releases/firmware/9051/stable/5.2.11.20190503/recovery-5.2.11.20190503.img

567519794_WorkInstructionsUltimaker3firmwarerecovery.pdf

• Like 1

@CarloK - I think he was successful.  I think he's all set.  But your post should be useful to future people hopefully.

@gr5 Thanks. I missed the update to his post. I couldn't explain why v5.1.7 was failing.

16 hours ago, CarloK said:

The S5 with v5.1.8 can't find the update files on the USB drive. This release is already looking for the update files in the new *.swu file format, but soon after the release some changes were made so it needs to update to the intermediate 5.1.94 version which was only released in the older *.tar format. Sorry, we messed up this one and hence v5.1.8 was only available for download for a week I think. I was not directly working on that project, but I think the official work around is to do a network based update.

I understand you can't connect the printers to internet?

Then I suggest to install the firmware using the recovery method, this involves downloading the firmware to a micro SD card, removing the bottom cover from the printer and inserting the SD card. Ultimaker doesn't recommend this method for the S5 printers since there are dangerous high voltages inside (110V/230V) so take extra care to switch off the power before removing the bottom cover. An official guide is missing for the same reason, but you can use the attached UM3 guide. In fact, for the S5 it is easier since the SD card slot can be accessed without removing the UM3's USB cable.

When you are planning to use the S5 in combination with a Material Station and/or Air Manager you can download the recovery image v5.4.29 from: 

https://software.ultimaker.com/releases/firmware/9051/stable/5.4.27-20191212/um-restore-5.4.27-20191212.img

Without Material Station I recommend the older but very stable v5.2.11: 

https://software.ultimaker.com/releases/firmware/9051/stable/5.2.11.20190503/recovery-5.2.11.20190503.img

567519794_WorkInstructionsUltimaker3firmwarerecovery.pdf 2.5 MB · 0 downloads

That is awesome information and very helpful.

16 hours ago, gr5 said:

@CarloK - I think he was successful.  I think he's all set.  But your post should be useful to future people hopefully.

I was successful.

15 hours ago, CarloK said:

@gr5 Thanks. I missed the update to his post. I couldn't explain why v5.1.7 was failing.

I have no idea what happened. I am very confused, but happy that it worked. Thanks for the info though