Can't get Cura to programme support for the top of a hollow puppet head

FalmouthLouis

Posted · Can't get Cura to programme support for the top of a hollow puppet head

I'm printing a hollow puppet head for a client. Whatever orientation I choose, there is always a 'ceiling' which needs support. The orientation illustrated below makes most sense as it allows me to provide a hole at the bottom through which the client can insert eye units etc. The trouble is that the eye socket units are designed without any initial contact with the shell. I've instructed infill to be generated everywhere, but it just chooses to support the ears on the outside, and whatever I do doesn't seem to produce scaffolding for the eye sockets. I see I could programme a very faint infill which would be printed by printcore 2 (Breakaway), but that will make cleaning up the interior more complex (?).

How do I get Cura to produce scaffolding inside this puppet's head?

Puppet.jpg

Posted · Can't get Cura to programme support for the top of a hollow puppet head

OK I think I've found the problem

Problem is with the positioning of the eye sockets which are relatively widely spaced. Scaffolding clearly doesn’t like starting on a shell at the base of the structure. I found that I could get scaffolding to start when I sank the head down to give clear printbed below the eye sockets. At that point, the scaffolding emerges quite happily.

However, I wouldn’t choose to split the head at this particular position. The photo below shows that I almost have to split the head in half.

The alternative is a very fine infill printed in Breakaway or PVA. But that makes for more complicated post-print work.

Puppet 02.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Am i correct to assume that the support inside the model should remain aftwards and not be broken away? It seems to me that the model has an internal cavity which is not reachable from outside.

You can try reducing the Support bottom distance. That way the support will just fuse to the bottom of the print.