Ultimaker 2+ Feeder Malfunction Help

MaverickNH

Posted · Ultimaker 2+ Feeder Malfunction Help

I inherited a UM2+ when we acquired another small company. I wiped it clean, lubricated, installed Cura 4.x on Win10, updated the firmware, and did an Atomic Clean. When I try to load the feeder I see no signs the feeder is functioning.

I squeeze the tension relief lever and load filament until it is visible in the tube, but the Move Material command doesn't move the material. I don't see or feel any sign the knurled feeder is rotating.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

1) The most common error I think is that the gear that is on the shaft of the stepper slides off the shaft until it no longer meshes with the next gear.  Or other gearing issues.  Verify that the stepper is truly not moving and not making sounds (the noise is quite obvious when in MOVE mode if I remember right).  You can remove the top and bottom screw of the feeder without the stepper falling and you can learn a lot quickly.  Careful that the spring doesn't go flying - maybe set tension to lowest value (marker at top)

https://support.3dverkstan.se/article/64-disassembly-of-the-ultimaker-2-plus-feeder

2) Wires could be bad.  Especially check that the extruder (or something) is plugged into the extruder connector.  The board has 2 connectors for 2 extruders and make sure it's plugged into the lower numbered extruder (e.g. E0 or if there is an E2 then plugged into E1).

3) If those pass then it's probably the controller board - stepper motors just don't fail - I mean I suppose it's possible but I've never heard of such a thing.  Plug it into the X axis connector to be sure and try to move it that way through homing procedure.  If E stepper still won't move then check wiring again - maybe wire is pinched under cover and broke or broke at the stepper housing.

4) Finally - last resort - you need a new controller board.

Let us know what you learn.  #1 was a known problem so you can probably get a replacement for free if that is the issue.  If you didn't buy this from a reseller you can get parts and tech support from fbrc8.com which is where your UM2 printer was assembled if you live in USA.