ER998

jficara

Greetings,

I have an Ultimaker s5 with the Air Handler and Material station. Let me start off by saying what a fantastic 3d print system this is.  You all did a fantastic job on it. The build quality is outstanding.

I am running into an issue though that I would love some help with.

I am consistently seeing the ER998 on the touch screen display when printing.  It does not appear to effect the print but requires the s5 to be turned off and turned back on again after the print is complete. It seems to happen only on print jobs lasting more than 7 or so hours. It also seems to be cumulative, meaning if I print several 1.5 to 2 hour print jobs, about the 4 print job will result in the ER998.

I have filed a support ticket and uploaded many diagnostic logs from the s5 but have received no word on if the dev team has been able to make use of the logs or narrow down the issue.

Do you have any updates on this issue or know when a new firmware release will be available?

Note: I am running the latest firmware 5.24.7 as of this writing 2020-02-23.

Thanks so very much

Hi all,

We are working in order to solve these ER998 instances that appear with both standalone S5s and with the Pro-Bundle.

Using version 5.5.12 you will still experience ER998, but with less frequency. Our ambition is to be able to get rid of these ER998 completely in the 5.6 version, so please bear with us.

While 5.4 and 5.5 are necessary for operating the pro bundle, users of standalone S5's also receive some benefits: 

- Less blobs when printing at a high rate of segments

- More robust functionality when using Ultimaker Cloud

Miguel

I have also had this issue and await improvements.

-R

Are you all still having issues with this? I just got an S5 and have got this error two prints in a row. I print large objects and this prevents me from being able to change the material. 

I am very underwhelmed by my s5 so far. This WIFI feature doesn't work for more than 20 seconds and this frequent error is killing any excitement I had about this machine.

Anyone able to diagnose this ER998 issue? 

HI,

I just have this issue, with a reliable wired network.

The machine seem want to finish the work.

I have always problem with camera (disconnected after few hours).

I expected with a more than a year product, such issue fixed !

Does it need a return , or a quick fix will be release ?

Regards.

Emmanuel

Regarding the ER998 issue, the Ultimaker Support team indicated a roadmap for fully addressing the issue.  

[Miguel]: "Using version 5.5.12 you will still experience ER998, but with less frequency. Our ambition is to be able to get rid of these ER998 completely in the 5.6 version, so please bear with us.

While 5.4 and 5.5 are necessary for operating the pro bundle, users of standalone S5's also receive some benefits: 

- Less blobs when printing at a high rate of segments

- More robust functionality when using Ultimaker Cloud"

I am running 5.5.12 now and the ER998 does not happen as often but still happens. I don't know when 5.6 will be released but my understanding is that the Ultimaker team believes ER998 will be resolved in that release.

Regarding the loss of network connectivity, yes I am seeing that too. I corresponded with both the Cura and Ultimaker support teams. 

Here is what the Cura team said:

[Cura Team] "Can confirm, we've seen this happening as well since the 5.4 update of the firmware on the S5. Ultimaker's System Integration Testing team is up in hairs about this but there is no solution yet afaik. It's pretty hard to reproduce as it only happens on some printers.

The problem is that sometimes some service running on the printer gets stuck in a boot loop. This then takes so much processing power that basically all services on the printer are suspended until processing power is available. The printing service gets higher CPU priority so that is unaffected, but other things like the API that Cura talks to basically won't respond any more. You also won't be able to visit the IP address in a browser any more.
    I'll close this since the it's not a bug in Cura."

This is the last message I received from the Ultimaker support team:

[Ultimaker Support] "It looks like there was confusion on our end due to the conversation having been about the ethernet connectivity which appears resolved when having both the printer and computer on the same node. The confirmation that the same behavior is appearing with wifi connectivity with both the mesh router and a non-mesh router should be helpful.

We will pass along your information to the firmware developers so that they can probe the issue further and will update you as soon as we have additional information for you."

When connecting my Ultimaker s5 directly to the router my PC is connected to with a wired Ethernet connection I was not able to reproduce the loss of connectivity issue.  In speaking with the Ultimaker support team on the phone, they indicated there is a known issue with all of their devices regarding wifi connections.  So I am hopeful that with the information I sent them the firmware developers will be able to get to the root of the issue.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your clear reply

Regards