WildBergh

Turning off Bed/Built plate Temperature after x layers?.

Posted · Turning off Bed/Built plate Temperature after x layers?.

Is it possible to set temperature on Bed/Built plate for a number of layers or specific height?
I know Cura can handle a different temperature on the initial layer and normal printing on the bed/built plate.

I want 60C degress on the first 1mm or 8 layers. Then I want it to shutdown heating on the bed completely. Possible?

Have an Ender3 btw.

You'd probably need to manually insert some M140 commands into your gcode output. It could be achieved using a post processing script (In Cura you can turn these on or off by navigating to Extensions > Post processing > Modify GCode)

The source scripts are stored in your Cura installation folder, e.g. 

C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.5\plugins\PostProcessingPlugin\scripts

You would need to write something similar to the 'Pause at height' script, which you could probably use as a framework for this (but instead of a pause command, it would be a bed temp command)

A useful resource:

https://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#M140:_Set_Bed_Temperature_.28Fast.29

Hope this helps

Posted (edited) · Turning off Bed/Built plate Temperature after x layers?.

Many thanks maht!
I'm not smart enough to do programing myself, but I will try.

Edited by WildBergh

30 minutes ago, WildBergh said:

Many thanks maht!
I'm not smart enough to do programing myself, but I will try.

You could also just try inserting commands manually, of course. I'd recommend editing gcode using a tool such as notepad++, or atom.

If you plan to perform this function a lot, scripting it might be a bit more elegant. And if you do crack it, someone else might find it useful too, so it can be merged in future releases. Baby steps 😉