Ultimaker Cura 4.5 now available

Guest maht

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.5 now available

I followed your wizened instructions. 4.4.1 took around 7 seconds. I'm still waiting for 4.5 to finish and I've been out shopping. I think I'll uninstall it and start over. Many thanks. 

Going back to 4.4 for the time being. The reduced area on my Ender-3 on Y axis is a bit of an annoyance. It seems to be adding in spacing for bed clips that I am not finding an option to turn off. I am using the magnetic bed still and don't need that added disallowed area. AWESOME all around program though, many thanks to the developers!!

7 hours ago, Droxon said:

The reduced area on my Ender-3 on Y axis is a bit of an annoyance.

Hey droxon, 

One work around is that you can go to definition file for ender3 located at c:/>program files>ultimaker cura 4.5 > resources >definitions

open the creality_ender3.def.json file in notepad ++ and remove the following line.

"platform": "creality_ender3.stl"

You can also change the size of your build plate if needed in the definition file.

Restart Cura and check out the build plate.

This will only work on your local computer where you are slicing.

2 hours ago, hussainsail2002 said:

You can also change the size of your build plate if needed in the definition file.

A much easier way of doing that is using the Machine Settings. No editing of files necessary.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 4.5 now available

Hi, does anyone know how to fix this problem with Cura 4.5, after finishing print, when the extruder is going back to zero position along the X axis, it doesn't stop immediately after clicking the switch, it keeps hitting it for about 1 second and then stops. This wasn't happening with previous version. Really annoying, and I'm afraid something will break eventually. Also, it doesn't happen with auto home or when starting print.

Edited by magic_m

3 hours ago, magic_m said:

Hi, does anyone know how to fix this problem with Cura 4.5, after finishing print, when the extruder is going back to zero position along the X axis, it doesn't stop immediately after clicking the switch, it keeps hitting it for about 1 second and then stops. This wasn't happening with previous version. Really annoying, and I'm afraid something will break eventually. Also, it doesn't happen with auto home or when starting print.

Which printer are you using? Hitting the endstop and continuing sounds like a hardware/firmware issue.

It's also possible you have different start/end gcodes set between versions. Can you compare with the last working version in the machine settings menu?

I'm using Ender 3 pro. I have uninstalled Cura 4.4 before installing 4.5. 

Just checked with Cura 4.4 and... exactly the same settings. 

Can't understand why it's not happening on start or when using auto home.

I have just printed small thing using first 4.4 Cura with no problem, then the same thing using Cura 4.5 and it's happening again. The same end G-CODE on both versions.

Why is this happening?

I think I'll just go back to 4.4

Edited by magic_m

Maybe offtopic but I still find the Design to be unnecessary complex. I made a render of an improved version with some redundant elements removed. What do you think?

CuraImproved.png

CuraBefore.png

8 hours ago, D4SK said:

I still find the Design to be unnecessary complex.

I agree, which is why I made the Sidebar GUI plugin.

In your mockup, how would this behave with more than 2 extruders? Would the expanded extruder panels just get narrower? Also the settings panel become much larger in Custom mode, overlapping a sizable chunk of the viewport. Can it still be dragged to a different location on the window?

4 hours ago, ahoeben said:

I agree, which is why I made the Sidebar GUI plugin.

In your mockup, how would this behave with more than 2 extruders? Would the expanded extruder panels just get narrower? Also the settings panel become much larger in Custom mode, overlapping a sizable chunk of the viewport. Can it still be dragged to a different location on the window?

The Sidebar plugin actually solves this in a very nice way, should have looked at this first.

In this mockup the expanded extruder panels could have a minimum width, at some point being wider, but 90% of Users probably have <2 Extruders.

In Custom Mode the right panel could be for choosing a profile with the print settings always being shown in the Background (not as floating window) like this:

Choosing a printer, material, and profile whould be visually on the same hierarchical level, and print settings below that, being a result of these choices.

CuraImprooved2.png

Hi all,

Having Anet E10 , I tried the settings given by Cura. Just a little tweaking and it prints fine.

But....

Last layer finishes and the hot end remains on top of the last point printed for a while before homing, melting the nicely smooth printed last top layer.

After damage done, it goes to home.

Any solution?

hussainsail2002's solution causes cura to produce an invalid configuration issue and forces you to reset cura to defaults.

To fix the Ender 3 disallowed areas issue go to...

C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura\resources\definitions

Find...

creality_ender3.def.json

Change (In Notepad++)...

"machine_disallowed_areas": {
                "default_value": [
                  [[-117.5, 117.5], [-117.5, 108], [117.5, 108], [117.5, 117.5]],
                  [[-117.5, -108], [-117.5, -117.5], [117.5, -117.5], [117.5, -108]]
            ]},

To...

"machine_disallowed_areas": {
                "default_value": [
            ]},

Save and restart Cura.

Edited by ChaosBlades

4.5 Mac will not open on my MacBook Pro running Catalina.  Here is the message.635875083_ScreenShot2020-03-09at3_35_25PM.thumb.png.4b72222a0012c15ba503541161b50d8e.png

Hi, just for curiosity. Does the new version have a solution to this question?:

On 2/27/2020 at 8:19 PM, DavidEDW said:

Does anyone know what happened to the NX plugin? 

@DavidEDW The Siemens NX plugin is now updated for compatibility with 4.5

https://marketplace.ultimaker.com/app/cura/plugins/UltimakerPackages/SiemensNXIntegration

Hello guy`s

It was time to reinstall my laptop (Win10) to have a fresh start as this is sometimes a good thing.

However Cura 4.5 is driving my crazy (i come from 4.3. before which was working fine)

When i set up my Orca as "Custom" Printer, is just get no Filament profiles listet.

The Favorits and Generic list ist just empty, when i hit the create button nothing does happen.

When i add a different preset Printer like Ultimaker2 or Anet A8 and activate it, there are material profiles, but when i switch back to my "custom" printer, all Material profiles do dissapear

Also when i try to import a profile which i had created unter the Anet A8 Printer it does not show up.

curamaterials.thumb.JPG.b5f9267a0c0cf868c2960d4ebc22c6aa.JPG

What am i doing wrong ? is it a bug ? at least this is not intuitive....

Chri

I wanted to report a problem I've been having on 4.5

I'm having problems with prints skipping steps and speeding up during the print. I resliced the file and the error occurs on the same layer, on the 4th or 5th layer. It begins to travel at speeds too fast for the printer. It goes from 40mm/s to something ridiculous. 

I'm back on 4.4 in the meantime. 

18 hours ago, chrii said:

When i set up my Orca as "Custom" Printer, is just get no Filament profiles listet.

Did you perhaps change your material (filament) diameter to the wrong value? Check the extruder tab(s) on the Machine Settings on the Printers pane of the Preferences.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PlasticSpooter said:

I wanted to report a problem I've been having on 4.5

Not anymore then?

12 hours ago, PlasticSpooter said:

I resliced the file and the error occurs on the same layer, on the 4th or 5th layer. It begins to travel at speeds too fast for the printer. It goes from 40mm/s to something ridiculous. 

Unless you post a "project" (File -> Save as...) and/or the produced gcode, there is little that we can do to diagnose your problem.

Does it happen with all objects?

42 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

Did you perhaps change your material (filament) diameter to the wrong value? Check the extruder tab(s) on the Machine Settings on the Printers pane of the Preferences.

Thx, that was the issue 🙂

Another thing, is the software really so slown ? every click takes very long ?

4.3 was faster on my machine.

Chri

Edited by chrii

I have a Tronxy Machine that was so bad i have had to throw away their electronics and replace with a duet 2 board and a 4 color print head :).  i had wanted to use the creality cr-x and modify the resource files to add the 2 extra extruders and created the 2 extra extruder files.

I thought i was a smartie pants till i restarted Cura...see attached image.

All edits were done in Notepad++

1. Is there a way to do this???

2. is there a way to change the file prefix name

ss-cura2.jpg

ss-cura3.jpg

creality_cr-x.res files.zip

Edited by HtRabbit
    update info

1 hour ago, HtRabbit said:

I thought i was a smartie pants till i restarted Cura...see attached image.

An attached cura.log would have been more helpful

1 hour ago, HtRabbit said:

is there a way to change the file prefix name

Yes, I have created a plugin for that:

https://marketplace.ultimaker.com/app/cura/plugins/fieldofview/CustomJobPrefix

• Thanks 1

Where is the log, i can not seam to find it.

Update

Just some more info that might help...

the dir was read only at the start, i had to give myself permissions on the folder to be able to edit the files.

if i remove the modified files and restore the original ones ....all is fine.

then i go in to the creality_cr-x.def.json file and change the

"machine_extruder_count": { "default_value": 2 }

to

"machine_extruder_count": { "default_value": 4 }

save & exit

Cura wont start.

8 hours ago, ahoeben said:

An attached cura.log would have been more helpful

Yes, I have created a plugin for that:

https://marketplace.ultimaker.com/app/cura/plugins/fieldofview/CustomJobPrefix

1. i found the logs. lol

2. i added the customjobprefix plugin, but i have no idea how to use it.

i dont see any settings to change and there are no instructions. the link above has a button to click and add plugin, after i click it it says that it it added. i reopen cura and cannot find any setting to change. 

*******Update******

noticed that the plugin dir did not have  the files in it so i d/l the plugin from github and installed it manually in the plugin dir. restarted and there it was.

cura.log cura1.log

Edited by HtRabbit
    Solved #2