better bond between support and print

RLC

Posted · better bond between support and print

I am using an Ender 3 and Cura 4.5.

I produced 2 of the needed parts but since then I have attempted at least a dozen times to produce the third. I am using the tower support but the print comes off the tower before the fingers of the print can connect to the arm of the model. I am retracting at the end of each layer and "z" hoping over printed areas but still loose the finger tips. Is there some setting that will strengthen that area?

155mm_CE3_CFFFP_Felix+Bucato_final.3mf

Well don't use zhop - that only seems to work well with delta printers. 

Here's a screenshot of what the poster is talking about.

Screenshot from 2020-03-03 11-20-14.png

I don't see the problem.  Are you saying the hands fall over or fall off or something before it connects the hand to the arm?  Is that the failure mode?

I would probably print this part on it's back.  It's better to use as little Z space as possible.  Usually the back of the model is what people pay less attention to so the worse quality of support attachment/removal might be best on the back of the print.  You can use the cura tools on the left side - select the model, then select the rotation tool and rotate him onto his back.

Alternatively you could model supports in CAD - or some of the supports.  Make those two "arm towers" much thicker.  You could just download 2 cubes and add them and size them with the scale tool on the left.

Posted (edited) · better bond between support and print

Yes, the hands/ fingers fall off the support before they can connect to the rest of the arm. The support is still standing intact. The screen shot looks really close to what I'm getting now.

Edited by RLC

So support can be a bit buggy.  What do you think of my idea of laying him on his back?

If you insist on him standing, you can set "support horizontal expansion" to 3mm which will enlarge those towers but... look at all the crazy support it adds!  You'll want to add support blockers to his neck and stuff.

Really I think it's best to either design your own supports in CAD or put him on his back.

I tried laying him on his back with the base and tail contacting the build plate. The area of the build for the base came loose, fell over and presume was the cause of the build plate to shift laterally. I then changed his position to more horizontal and am currently trying to print it. So far it looks good.