Ak4

Quality of the infill

Posted · Quality of the infill

Dear Friends

I have to print some small samples with Ultimaker 3 printer and PLA material.  

When the printer start to print, the first infill line is perfect but after that in some lines I don't get good infill lines. In my samples the infill line distance is 2.4 mm, infill pattern is triangles, print temperature is 200 C and print speed is 20 mm/s. I also tried to print samples one by one and in Cura software I adjusted print sequence.  

In attachment I put some photos for you and if somebody has experiences in this please help me.

I need these samples immediately.

24 oriantation #1.jpg

To me your samples look pretty decent. This is what I would expect.

Infill is not meant to be visually perfect: its purpose is to add strength in *invisible* areas. And to reduce material consumption and printing time in invisible insides, where a solid body is not required. So its purpose is a good balance between strength, printing time, and material use.

Although today there are a couple of really beautifull infills indeed.

If you want nice looking spokes, and you want more control over how they look, I would suggest you design them in CAD. See the model below (its holes are 4mm if I remember well).

But even then retractions and corners can introduce little defects, typical for this sort of production: strings, blobs, thicker areas,... Compare this to injection moulding which always leaves marks from the injector nozzle, from the ejector pins, from the flow, and from the seam lines. Each production method has its limitations.

Some customers have unrealistic expectations, due to the hype in the press that "you can 3D-print anything", which isn't true. What I do when someone asks me to print a model, and he is unfamiliar with 3D-printing, is first show them the limitations. What it *cannot* do: overhangs without support, smooth curved surfaces, waterclear transparant objects, tiny pilars, small screw threads, tiny holes, etc. I have a couple of demo-models sitting around for that. And only then I show them what it *can* do, with a couple of nice models. This takes out most of their unrealistic wishes, and they will be much happier with the results, if they continue anyway.

zeef_zoom1.thumb.jpg.396d23dadef6116bef79017ae5a906ea.jpg

zeef1.thumb.jpg.4c0f2b050c6d9413ee6215f12145c401.jpg

I have a sample and I modeled in Creo software and then I saved (STL.) format and tried to print with Ultimaker 3 printer.

The quality of print is really Ok for me but the dimension are not the same (equal wall thickness) like model in Creo software. I have extra inner wall in all walls and triangles that you can see in the photos. Could you please help me, how I can get the samples without this extra inner walls? 

2.4mm-1.3mm wall #2.JPG

24 MM VREO MODELED 13MM WALL #2.jpg

24 MM VREO MODELED 13MM WALL #7.jpg

Make sure you are not over extruding, that's kind of what it looks like.

• Like 1

I print this with Ultimaker 3 and 0.4 mm nozzle. 

Do you have any information about Alternate extra wall?

What exactly do you mean with ALternate extra wall? What is weird to me is that I cannot really see a second line in these walls. It looks like it is done in one passing. Could you share your model and cura profile?