Are there any silent 60mm x 15mm fans?

Posted · Are there any silent 60mm x 15mm fans?

Hello everyone,

I want to upgrade my CR-10, because it's way too loud at the moment, but I can't find any quality 60mm x 15mm fans. Does anyone have a silent one or knows a manufacturer that produces 60mm x 15mm fans? 

I guess it's the fan in the control-box you want to replace? I did this mod: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2764990 and used 1200m Noctua fans (NF-S12A) instead. I don't remember if I use any other fans in the box, I guess you can check that in the comments for the mod. However I have used this for over a year now without any problems, and the box seems to be very cool.

I have also replaced the hotend-fan to a NF-A4x20 and added NEMA17 dampers. I must say that the printer is quiet now 🙂 

• Like 1

Ok, thanks guys. Sadly Noctua only has 60mm x 25mm fans, but the 120mm fan upgrade seems to be an option. I already upgraded the 40mm fans and added dampers, which made a huge difference, but the fan in the controll box is still very loud.

When selecting silent fans, keep in mind that they usually have a *much lower* flow rate and cooling capacity. So you might need to provide a lot more or a lot bigger fans.

And indeed, adding rubber dampers, mats, or washers between fan and housing, can greatly reduce transmitted noise and resonant vibrations. Also adding a sound-absorbing mat on the opposite sides of a printer (or room) might help: this does not eliminate the source of course, but it damps the reflections and resonance. Similar to the covering of walls in a sound studio, but then in miniature. If your printer design allows for this, of course, it might not fit everywhere (I don't know the CR10).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I changed all the other fans and did not have any issues since then and noticed that the psu fan was not that loud, because it was only at 100% while heating up the printer. 

I already had dampers before, but the fans were still pretty loud and I tried the mat- method, but it just made a little difference. But it's much better than befor, the only problem is that the blower fans make a high tone when they are not at 100%.

Thank you anyways!