switch Extruder at layer height

kenny

Posted · switch Extruder at layer height

Is there a way to have Cura switch extruders during a print for a couple of layers and then switch back to the other extruder(I have a UM3)? I wanted to use it on the drum pictured to print the drum skin a different color then the drum body. I haven't seen how to do it yet. Thanks for your help.

Drum.JPG

I'm not sure what you mean by helper volume. Could you explain it to me.  I searched through all the settings and didn't see anything related.  

Thanks Dim3nsioneer

Simply use an overlapping "modifier mesh" and select a different extruder for it.

If you don't want to model your own, you can "misuse" the support blocker mesh like shown in this video (just select the other extruder instead of modifying any settings):

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · switch Extruder at layer height

Gave it a try. The color I used for the drum skin was just for a test. I had to lower the height of the support blocker to .5mm and then assigned the other extruder to it and set what settings I wanted. it came out pretty good for a first try. thanks for your help. 

IMG_0587.JPG

Edited by kenny

I'm still struggling with this. I cant seem to select an extruder when selecting the settings to modify for the mesh?

With the modifier block selected just click the other extruder on the bottom left. Don't forget to uncheck "Infill only" in the modifier settings. 

I made a quick video of the process:

This technique doesn't work with ver 4.13.1

Can anyone suggest an update please.

I can't get it to work in 4.13.1 either.

It does work in the SmartAvionics fork of Cura.  Set the blocker to "cutting mesh" with a wall count, no top or bottom and set it to Extruder 2.

In an oddity - I saved the project in the SmartAvionics Master version and opened it in UM 4.13.1 and it worked.  The outer walls were assigned to T1 (Extruder 2).

Works fine for me with a S5 in 4.13.1 (with a deformed model of a cube as modifier mesh). Has any of you guys already tried to clear the Cura installation (deleting/renaming settings folder)?