Pure print quality

gfk

Posted (edited) · Pure print quality

Hi, My UM2+ is producing some pure print quality. I'm using CURA (latest version) layer height 0.3 and default settings. It seems that the layers in the bottom part are not "fused" correct. This can also happen later on higher prints. Also on the first layers, when changing positions the nossel "drags" filament, coursing some unwanted results on the bottom layers. Pleas see the images for details. I'm using original Ultimaker filament. The bed is level and a new feeder has just been installed.
ANY help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_2488.png

IMG_2489.png

IMG_2490 2.png

Edited by gfk

Posted · Pure print quality

These too thin horizontal areas are underextrusion. This basically means that the printer can not deliver enough filament, for whatever reason: too much friction in the feeding traject, (partially) blocked nozzle, dirty feeder, filament windings under other windings on spool, worn-out teflon coupler, non-working little cooling fan for nozzle, nozzle too cold, flow too high, worn-out or incorrectly installed bowden tube,...

There is a video and extensive list of possible causes somewhere on this forum, but I don't know exactly where. Maybe you can find it?

The vertical lines, is that infill shining through? Or is that part of the design? Looks like they too shouldn't be there? But that must have a different reason.

1 hour ago, geert_2 said:

These too thin horizontal areas are underextrusion. This basically means that the printer can not deliver enough filament, for whatever reason: too much friction in the feeding traject, (partially) blocked nozzle, dirty feeder, filament windings under other windings on spool, worn-out teflon coupler, non-working little cooling fan for nozzle, nozzle too cold, flow too high, worn-out or incorrectly installed bowden tube,...

There is a video and extensive list of possible causes somewhere on this forum, but I don't know exactly where. Maybe you can find it?

The vertical lines, is that infill shining through? Or is that part of the design? Looks like they too shouldn't be there? But that must have a different reason.

I just changed the teflon coupler (today) but still too thin horizontal areas. The bowden tube is also new. 
    The infill that shining through is NOT part of the design, is there a way to fix this?

If you change a parameter (light layer height) you need to compensate the temperature to compensate the extra mm3/s

The higher the layer, the more material extruded each second, so the hotend needs higher temperature to keep the pace. Try 5-10C more

58 minutes ago, neotko said:

If you change a parameter (light layer height) you need to compensate the temperature to compensate the extra mm3/s

The higher the layer, the more material extruded each second, so the hotend needs higher temperature to keep the pace. Try 5-10C more

I print PLA at 225c and normally 0.2mm layer height. Is that hot enough? or too hot?

Posted (edited) · Pure print quality
    11 hours ago, gfk said:

I print PLA at 225c and normally 0.2mm layer height. Is that hot enough? or too hot?

I print ABS at 225 C myself and that works really well if not perfect (basically) for me. That might be high for PLA. I'd think 200 C for PLA or something around there, but I'm not sure what type of PLA you are using.

I print ABS at 225 C (lowest you can go to me personally)

I print PC at around 250 C (lowest you can go to me personally)

I'd go around the low point of PLA and give that a try for now.

I always get problems when I print at higher temperatures with any filament. Usually on the lower side of the filament is where I get the best results myself.

Edited by e23

On 3/11/2020 at 2:54 PM, gfk said:

I would start with the basics, if you are not use to play with print speed and mm3 start with a print speed/temp test

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/quick-temperature-fillament-test

A little update: I have try a LOT of things now. All from replacing the teflon coupler, to leveling the bed and so on. I also did the speed/temp test as @nektko suggested. Here I forund that the bed was a little off in the left side, and I did some minor adjustments while printing. THIS did the trick of getting the "pure print quality" (the first 2 pictures) to disappear. Now I only need to get the nozzle "drags" to go a way.. any ideas??   

3 hours ago, gfk said:

A little update: I have try a LOT of things now. All from replacing the teflon coupler, to leveling the bed and so on. I also did the speed/temp test as @nektko suggested. Here I forund that the bed was a little off in the left side, and I did some minor adjustments while printing. THIS did the trick of getting the "pure print quality" (the first 2 pictures) to disappear. Now I only need to get the nozzle "drags" to go a way.. any ideas??   

check the feeder for dust, maybe the bolt isn’t grabbing the filament?

The feeder is brand new. And is pulling the filament just fine. The "marks" on the filament are fine, like the docs on this site shows it should be.