Auto bed level failing

HansESI

Posted · Auto bed level failing
17 hours ago, gr5 said:

You can certainly do that on the S5 and UM3 but the S3 has a different board.

No, the S3 uses the same firmware as the S5 R2, so everything is there, developer mode and the manual hack is also working.

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

I have 3@ S3's and 1@ S5. Since the firmware update, I have lost use two of my S3's. They both tell me that the difference between the cores is unacceptable. One did it right away and the other did so after about 4 prints. I have tried resetting, as well as all the other solutions, but with no success. I would like to go back to a previous firmware, Is that possible? 

• 1 year later...

Sometimes this problem occurs very often on my S3, and sometimes I can do 10-20 prints without problems.

Today the problem occurred maybe 10-20 times. Not a single successful print, it always complained about bed leveling failing. Then I randomly turned those screws in the front corners of the bed 90°, and magically the next print started working. Let's see if second print works as well.. It might work, because this screw turning hack has helped me before too.

Does anybody know if it's possible to get some bed leveling debug data from S3? If the reason is screw being in wrong position, it would be nice to get some numerical info, for example "the bed seems to be tilted X degrees too left" or something. That would be much more helpful than just a generic error message.

The screw is not the reason, even if it helps sometime. I struggled with the same problem and tried nearly everything, nothing really helped. I turned off the leveling at all to be able to print with my S3. 

The final solution was to replace the print head PCB, not the sensor board. After I have replaced the PCB, I never got an error again.

@henu which firmware version is installed on your printer?

In v8.1.0 there was a fix for which I had high hopes to fix these intermittent probing errors:

• Fan noise. Fixed the situation whereby the print head fans were turned off but still kept making electronic noise.

This feedback is very important to us, because when your printer includes this fix then we know we'll have to look for other solutions.

The bed levelling implementation is a bad design that needs to be properly addressed as a recall and fix by Ultimaker.  These are expensive proprietary machines. Tinkering to maybe get it to work is not acceptable.

Tinkering?  It works for >90%.  Probably > 95%.  Maybe even > 99% of the printers just fine.

The issue seems to be noise but it's hard to trace down the source of noise as it can be different for each printer.  It's also not clear if the fan is acting as an antenna picking up noise or if the fan is creating noise.

Recently someone discovered the fan is still slightly on even when software turns it to "off".  So that was fixed in a recent release but may have nothing to do with the problem.

It's hard to fix a bug when every printer you have in your factory doesn't have the problem.

As noted by @CarloK 8.1 had some major updates for Active Leveling.
    Just as an FYI - 7.1.3 also had a significant update to Active Leveling.
    I say this just due to the fact that I know many people here on the community don't update past 6.x on their machines.

With that said actually multiple releases thru 7.x to current (8.2 at time of writing) almost all included at least minor updates to improving Active Leveling.
    The 7.0.3 update saw a full re-write to the self test of the sensor that is very helpful.
    The self test in 6.x and older wasn't as good at detecting issues.

There is also an in-depth article about troubleshooting the Active Leveling issues
    Here: https://support.makerbot.com/s/article/1667410781005
    Sadly the guide is not often used by the community but does actually solve a large number of these issues.
    The sensor is very sensitive to interference sadly, and many of the steps in the guide are disregarded as not relevant by users and are often the actual root cause(s).

As @Smithy noted, 
    Replacing the Printhead PCB (please follow the guide steps first!!) will generally provide the most apparent results for problematic leveling issues.

The "sensor board" acts more like an "antenna" (Very crude description for it) and generally unless you had a flooded print head or a failed print that caused physical damage to the print head.. its more likely the 2 wires or printhead pcb is the issue than the sensor board if the steps of the troubleshooting guide was followed fully..

Its almost never the sensor board that is bad (this is per actual support data).

• Like 1

On 5/22/2023 at 2:56 AM, gr5 said:

Tinkering?  It works for >90%.  Probably > 95%.  Maybe even > 99% of the printers just fine.

The issue seems to be noise but it's hard to trace down the source of noise as it can be different for each printer.  It's also not clear if the fan is acting as an antenna picking up noise or if the fan is creating noise.

Recently someone discovered the fan is still slightly on even when software turns it to "off".  So that was fixed in a recent release but may have nothing to do with the problem.

It's hard to fix a bug when every printer you have in your factory doesn't have the problem.

I think tinkering is the right word.