How do I turn off this initial triangle?

furkasocal

Posted (edited) · How do I turn off this initial triangle?

Hello guys, I experienced the same thing, but I may miss something because I don't speak native english, so my english soso. but when i change the M420 to G29, my printer just stop in the midway from front left to centre. 

Any helps appreciated. thank you!

*Edited

I finally figure it out! for next visitor of this thread who have the same problem. 

Try to change this (in early gcode):

G28 ;Home
M420 S1 Z2 ;Enable ABL using saved Mesh and Fade Height

To this:

G28 ;Home
G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle
G29 ;Enable ABL using saved Mesh and Fade Height

And remember to do it each time you make new slicing. 

Thank you so much for all help in this thread. 

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-27 at 11.32.58 AM.jpeg

Edited by Vruize
Found the fixing.
  • Like 1

Posted · How do I turn off this initial triangle?

This is a good one.  Malegelebi may have given the best clue.  His comment regarding the ABL indicates to me that it is indeed a Marlin issue.  An invalid mesh?

That makes more sense to me than Marlin just making up moves which I have to say is what it looks like.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I was getting the same triangle issue with my Ender 3 Pro and BLTouch.  I wasn't able to remove the triangle movement completely, but I do have a workaround.  First of all, I bought my printer less than a month ago to make face shield visors for local nursing homes and other facilities that are sorely lacking in PPE.  I'm a complete and total newb when it comes to 3D printing, so please cut me some slack if I have a bit of gcode out of place.  I am, however a 47 year old network engineer and consultant, was the IT Director for a chain of medical facilities, and I've been writing code since I was 9 (back when computers weren't so common and dinosaurs roamed the Earth), so it wasn't terribly hard to work out.  That being said, I already have another printer on the way; so when production slows down, I might be able to use these things to make rpg figures and terrain for my son and other fun stuff.  Maybe even a side gig.  Anyway, sorry for the life story.

This is my current setup.  I joined the forum to post it, so I hope it helps someone...

; Ender 3 Custom Start G-code
    G92 E0 ; Reset Extruder
    G28 ; Home all axes
    G29 ; BLTouch do full bed level
    G1 Z2.0 F3000 ; Move Z Axis up little to prevent scratching of Heat Bed
    ; Double stacked purge line with Marlin triangle fakeout
    G1 X0.1 Y20 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; Move to start position
    G1 X0.1 Y200.0 Z0.3 F1500.0 E0 ; Draw no line (this will let the triangle finish without drawing)
    G1 X0.1 Y20 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; Return to start position
    G1 X0.1 Y200.0 Z0.3 F1500.0 E30 ; Draw the first line
    G1 X0.4 Y200.0 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; Move to side a little
    G1 X0.4 Y20 Z0.3 F1500.0 E30 ; Draw the second line
    G1 X0.4 Y20 Z0.6 F5000.0 ; Move back and up a little
    G1 X0.4 Y200.0 Z0.6 F1500.0 E30 ; Draw a third line
    G1 X0.1 Y200 Z0.6 F5000.0 ; Move to side a little
    G1 X0.1 Y20.0 Z0.6 F1500.0 E30 ; Draw a fourth line
    G92 E0 ; Reset Extruder
    G1 Z2.0 F3000 ; Move Z Axis up little to prevent scratching of Heat Bed
    G1 X5 Y20 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; Move over to prevent blob squish (wipe nozzle)

Edited by netseam

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all!

I too have experienced this same issue with my new Ender 5 Plus printer. I also have an Ender 3 Pro, and a CR-10. I use Cura 4.6.1 to slice for all 3 printers and the only one with which I have seen this issue is the Ender 5 Plus. The start code is virtually the same for all three printers with the exception of the M420 line that retrieves and uses a SAVED Mesh, if it exists. This brings to mind a few things:

First, since Cura is performing correctly with two of the three printers, the start code is virtually the same for all three printers, and there are no discernible errors in the g-code once posted and saved to the SD card, then it is unlikeley to be a problem with Cura.

Secondly, I have two possible thoughts as to root cause. I don't think I saw anyone mention a non Creality printer where this has occured, and I believe the stock Mainboard for the CR-10 and the Ender 5 Plus are the same physical boards, only the firmware is different. Therefore it could possibly be a hardware issue....but I don't think so.

The key here that made me think of the next, and I think most likely cause is this: the use of the stock Cura start g-code which includes the M420 line AND turning on the Auto Bed Leveling routine in the Ender 5 Plus settings.

It has already been reported that if you turn OFF the Auto Bed Leveling routine in the Ender 5 Plus settings, the purge lines print correctly. This would seem to confirm the g-code is fine. I think it's a conflict between the M420 and the Auto Bed Leveling routine on the Ender 5 Plus.

I would suggest either turning off the Auto Bed Leveling routine in the Ender 5 Plus settings, and run it manually every so often, or leave it on and eliminate the M420 line and see if that solves the issue.

A third option would be to leave the Auto Bed Leveling routine in the Ender 5 Plus off, and replace the M420 line with a G29 command after the G28 command (this is how it's setup on my Ender 3 Pro which also has an BL-Touch)

I'm going to try these out tonight when I get home!

• 1 month later...

I was having this problem with a new cr10s pro v2. It was quite annoying. The fix suggested above works, however, and now my gcode from cura works perfectly.

"

G28 ;Home

To this:

G28 ;Home

"

Thanks for supporting printers made by other people.

• Like 1

thanks to ALL for this thread !!   I thought I was going crazy !!  I will try these solutions in next couple prints

I have so many triangles that scraping them off has made that section of the bed smoother than the other sections !

Again, thanks.  ALSO, question - is it worth sending CREALITY OFFICIAL, through FACEBOOK (send a message), a link to THIS thread, and to the GITHUB thread that was posted in this thread, requesting that they look at this, and try to fix it?  or is that GITHUB thread enough to get their attention?

Good.  The solution is above.

Signed up specifically to say thanks for this thread.  That triangle on my new CR10S Pro V2 was driving me mad!

Much appreciated, to all those who worked this out.

to all, the solution is successful, but is there a way in CURA to put this in as a permanent change or add-on, to remove the other lines?  currently i have to edit every one of my .gcode files as they are generated.

thans

55 minutes ago, theTicFramedtheadverb said:

is there a way in CURA to put this in as a permanent change or add-on, to remove the other lines?

Preferences/Configure Cura/Printers/Machine Settings/Start G-Code

I too can further confirm the mystery triangle issue on my new CR10s Pro, seemingly related to the ABL. I'm in the middle of a 2 day print at the moment, so haven't had the opportunity to implement the community supplied fix listed above. 

Yet another Cura update......yet another 3rd party caused "glitch".....I would gladly pay for a version of Cura that didn't ignore non-Ultimaker branded printers EVERY time an update is done.

This really isn't a "Cura problem" . As configured, Creality printers don't have Auto Mesh Bed Leveling enabled, the user must turn it on. Cura's "Default" start code is simply setup for stock configuration of Creality printers. Either disable Auto Mesh Bed Leveling at the printer, or if you prefer, modify the start code in Cura as stated previously in this thread. Either way, voila, triangle gone. Personally, I just manually run the Mesh Bed Leveling routine at the printer before a large print, otherwise the start code as configured by Cura will load the most recent Mesh and use it every time. If your bed temp doesn't change, I don't suspect your Mesh will change much either. 

kvcaner - interesting, i am new at this, i've added this fix, BUT to clarify, if I do NOT add teh fix, but thrn OFF the auto leveling in the Creality Cr10S pro, that the trinagle would not occur AND the bed leveling would not occur?

and THEN I could just do a MANUAL level routine periodically, and creality would then use the MOST RECENT GENERATED values fo rthe subsequent prints, until the next leveling?

or, to get rid of triangle, do i still need to have the modified code?

thanks

It's  an either-or situation. If you turn off Auto Bed Leveling at the printer, simply run the routine occasionally through the bed leveling menu on the printer, which will save the mesh. Then leave the start code alone in Cura (M420). OR enable Auto Bed Leveling at the printer AND modify the start code (remove M420 line, I haven't tried this, but it should work). OR, disable Auto Bed Leveling at the printer AND replace M420bline with a G29. The last option. will perform a Mesh Bed Leveling routine before every print. This is the way my Ender 3 works. My Ender 5 Plus has the M420 as is default for that printer in Cura, and Auto Bed Leveling turned off at the Printer. In this config, I need to run the Auto Mesh Bed Leveling routine at the printer occasionally. 

thanks !  I will experiment !  but main thing is, if it is saving the mesh and using it for subsequent prints, that would be fine for some of the smaller jobs, and then just run the auto level for any significant large jobs

On 4/27/2020 at 12:34 PM, Vruize said:

Try to change this (in early gcode):

G28 ;Home

To this:

G28 ;Home

Confirmed fix for the triangle issue. Vruize you are a credit to the open source community. 

Interesting side note to elaborate on some of this.

M420 does a bed level and writes it to the EEPROM, then retrieves the saved bed mesh to use. Over the life of your printer, this is actually a bad thing because of how EEPROM will eventually fail after so many writes to memory locations. In an ideal world, you would only call on the saved mesh each print and do a manual bed level ( which will save the results on completion to the EEPROM ) every 10 or so prints, thus limiting the writes to the EEPROM over the printers life. This is why the M420 has the [S1] followed by the z axis fade value ( [Z2] in the above quoted g-code ).

G29 on the other hand is an automated function of sorts similar to M420, but the big bonus is it stores the bed mesh in the RAM instead. The only downside I can see is the lack of z-axis fade value, which is used to "absorb" the discrepancies in the bed height by the value set. I.E; a [Z2] as used, will account for the bed leveling until the z-axis moves beyond 2mm. A [Z10] setting would result in the z-axis fade applying until it goes beyond 10mm. The other thing to with G29 is the resulting bed mesh being stored in the RAM means it will be wiped on power loss, hence you need to include G29 each time you print. 

Bonus round for the real g-code nerds - how do we set a z-axis fade value / what is the z-axis fade value default when using G29?

Anyways, I have tested this fix thoroughly, and it seems to be the solution for the moment. My mind won't accept using a fix just "because", I need to understand what is going on lol. OCD is evil. 

Edited by Longtoke

18 hours ago, Longtoke said:

I too can further confirm the mystery triangle issue on my new CR10s Pro, seemingly related to the ABL. I'm in the middle of a 2 day print at the moment, so haven't had the opportunity to implement the community supplied fix listed above. 

Yet another Cura update......yet another 3rd party caused "glitch".....I would gladly pay for a version of Cura that didn't ignore non-Ultimaker branded printers EVERY time an update is done.

No matter how much you were to pay for Cura, the sheer number of 3d printer manufacturers and models out there makes any sort of support an impossible task.  And this triangle situation (did anybody figure out why there was an extrusion?) was a purely Creality generated problem that was fixable using Cura.

Consider that Creality ran out of 8 bit boards and without telling their customers or anyone else started putting 32 bit boards in.  How do you support something like that from afar?  Creality won't even acknowledge a problem that is fully their responsibility.  In effect, my Ender 3 Pro had no warranty and no support from day 1.  It was what I expected when I decided to buy a really cheap printer to get in to this as a hobby and see if I cared for it.  I suppose I was having trouble with the word "ignore".  I guess it's the right word although I don't think the Cura team ignores the others because they want to, but rather because they have to or they'd all go nuts.

Have another Twinkie Longtoke and pass that sucker over before it gets too short.

2 hours ago, GregValiant said:

....did anybody figure out why there was an extrusion?

Nothing 100% confirmed as a cause yet, but at this stage and after my own testing etc, it would appear to be an issue with M420 within the Marlin version 1.70 that is shipped with the printer as stock. Going to have to dig around in the firmware creality issued and see if i can pin the issue 100%, perhaps even try a different firmware to help diagnose. 

Short and simple - while executing the final stage of M420, after the bed leveling measurements but before the purge line extrusion, the extruder is being activated. This is resulting in the triangle extrusion.  

As to the rest regarding Cura and it updates, while I respect there's such a vast multitude of printers out there before you even look at custom jobs & homebrews etc, Cura does seem to be excessively ignorant to anything not ultimaker branded. I get it, don't support stuff they don't make money off etc, but that doesn't excuse what sometimes seems to be "planned obsolescence" ( for want of a more polite phrase ? ) of 3rd party printers. Lets be fair here and remember the open source nature  of Cura and consider that creality printers are not uncommon. 

While I haven't been posting on these forums long, I have been reading them on and off over the years and it's sad to see the inevitable and frequent "not an ultimaker printer so...."  stylized reply in every one of these type of threads. That's what i mean when I say I would  gladly pay for a Cura that offered more support and insights. Not everyone has the money to burn on a printer that costs several thousands of dollars, just so we can continue contribute and participate in an open source development through testing and feedback. 

It too often feels like hostile environment not conducive with community development to turn up here and post something, unless you have a ultimaker printer, you're pretty much entirely dependent on the wider community to work through issues that are often related to the software more than the printer it's being used on. 

Anyways, don't mind my old man ramblings lol, I'm going to go have that twinkie. 

re: this question

s there a way in CURA to put this in as a permanent change or add-on, to remove the other lines?

and the reply

Preferences/Configure Cura/Printers/Machine Settings/Start G-Code

thanks for reply, but that does not work;  the original slicing/calibaration code is not in the printer sdction of "start printer" that i can find.  This seems to get added AFTER the start printer commands?  unless I'm missing sometinng..

thnkas

8 hours ago, theTicFramedtheadverb said:

thanks for reply, but that does not work;  the original slicing/calibaration code is not in the printer sdction of "start printer" that i can find. 

Did you scroll down?  Move your mouse to the right side (of the "Start G-Code" box), left mouse click,  and a scroll bar appears.

I know, it's a bit deceptive, but it's there.

You can also expand the "Machine Settings" window and there it all is. 

Edited by cods69

WOW ! Deceptive is not the word for it !

you hve to actually START to scroll before a scroll bar appears !  but i did find it !  Thanks very much !

12 hours ago, theTicFramedtheadverb said:

WOW ! Deceptive is not the word for it !

you hve to actually START to scroll before a scroll bar appears !  but i did find it !  Thanks very much !

You're welcome.

Of note, I just did a fresh (well, the installer told me it was fresh removing config) install, where the new 4.7.0 Cura seems to have the M420 removed/replaced by default for the CR10S Pro.

Thanks Ultimaker devs.  I do appreciate you listening and supporting other hardware.

Edited by cods69

Cods69, thanks again.  SO, just to clarify

IF I go into my Creality Cr10Spro, and turn OFF AUTO-Leveling,

but STILL use the G29 code,

Creality will READ the PREVIOUSLY STORED values every time it prints

and then I can just go in and TURN ON AUTO-Leveling about every 10 prints, it will RE-DO those stored values?

thanks

On 8/27/2020 at 9:22 PM, theTicFramedtheadverb said:

Cods69, thanks again.  SO, just to clarify

IF I go into my Creality Cr10Spro, and turn OFF AUTO-Leveling,

but STILL use the G29 code,

Creality will READ the PREVIOUSLY STORED values every time it prints

and then I can just go in and TURN ON AUTO-Leveling about every 10 prints, it will RE-DO those stored values?

thanks

Short answer:  I don't know.

I've only had my CR10s ProV2 for less than a few weeks and it's my first 3D Printer.

If I work this out (as there is some additional weirdness I'm getting with leveling and Octoprint/Pi) I'll post back here.

Lots for me to learn...