How do I turn off this initial triangle?

furkasocal

Posted · How do I turn off this initial triangle?

I recently got an Ender 5+ and encountered this problem as well when i started using Cura. 

Below is the solution I came up with. It's not perfect but it does the job:

Original GCode snippet to replace:

G1 X10.1 Y200.0 Z0.28 F1500.0 E15 ;Draw the first line
            G1 X10.4 Y200.0 Z0.28 F1500.0 ;Move to side a little

Replacement GCode snippet:

; note:  - replace the Y value to something that matches your printer dimensions

;            - i used Y300 because my printer has a max Y of 350

G1 X10.1 Y300.0 Z0.28 F1500.0 E15 ;Draw the first line, included only coz i changed my Y value
            G1 X10.4 Y300.0 Z0.28 F1500.0 E0 ;Bug happens here, set E0 to stop extruding while bug happens
            G1 X10.4 Y300.0 Z0.28 F1500.0 E0 ;Do prev cmd again, move works now but E0 still

; the code after this works normally

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2020 at 4:50 PM, higgs_bozo said:

I recently got an Ender 5+ and encountered this problem as well when i started using Cura. 

Below is the solution I came up with. It's not perfect but it does the job:

Original GCode snippet to replace:

G1 X10.4 Y200.0 Z0.28 F1500.0 ;Move to side a little

Replacement GCode snippet:

; note:  - replace the Y value to something that matches your printer dimensions

;            - i used Y300 because my printer has a max Y of 350

G1 X10.1 Y300.0 Z0.28 F1500.0 E15 ;Draw the first line, included only coz i changed my Y value
            G1 X10.4 Y300.0 Z0.28 F1500.0 E0 ;Bug happens here, set E0 to stop extruding while bug happens
            G1 X10.4 Y300.0 Z0.28 F1500.0 E0 ;Do prev cmd again, move works now but E0 still

; the code after this works normally

First of all "Thank you Ultimaker for allowing non Ultimaker owners access to Cura"

Next thank you "higgs_bozo", I thought I was going to always wait for the V layer and pull it up, I was thinking of just changing the filament to "red" as a reference to 80's and 00's alien lizards.

I forgot to say, I too have an Ender 5+, if I could have afforded a bigger "first printer" I would have, I am hoping to make a new radio/ac facia and more for my  Delica Spacegear which should just fit with supports.

• 3 months later...

This is still an issue with version 1.70.2 BL of the Ender 5+ firmware. If you enter the commands through a serial connection they work fine. The failure occurs when reading off the SD card. I find it hard to believe that this is the only place that it's misreading G-code off the SD card and that has me concerned. Fortunately I'm moving on to Marlin 2 with a new BTT SKR Pro v1.2.

I am in the process of trying to figure out where the misreading of the command occurs and why. I'd still like to know the extent of the issue.

Posted (edited) · How do I turn off this initial triangle?

@higgs_bozo Your fix will cause problems because extrusion is in Absolute mode:

G1 X10.1 Y300.0 Z0.28 F1500.0 E15 ;Draw the first line, included only coz i changed my Y value But you didn't add more E
    G1 X10.4 Y300.0 Z0.28 F1500.0 E0 ;This is a retraction of 15
    G1 X10.4 Y300.0 Z0.28 F1500.0 E0 ;E is at 0 but the filament remains 15mm back from the nozzle

If you go into a skirt it may be OK but it won't start extruding for a long time.  At .4 linewidth and .2 layerheight the ratio of filament to extrusion is 1:30 so extrusion would be postponed for 450mm of movement.

G1 X10.1 Y300.0 Z0.28 F1500.0 E40 ;Your line is longer and needs more plastic.
    G1 X10.4 F6000 ;Move over
    G1 Y10.0 E80 F1500 ;2nd line and more plastic is required again.

The Ender 5 and CR10 both get their start-gcode from the "creality_base.def.json" file.  All Ender 3's get their start gcode from their own definition files (mine is "creality_ender3pro.def.json").  The only real difference is that the 3's don't define the max jerk, accel, and speed.

Creality writes the definition files and submits them to Ultimaker for inclusion in Cura.  Until Creality gets off the pot and submits definition files for their printers with ABL so that the start up gcode is compatible with their (now) proprietary firmware, this will be a continuing problem.

Edited by GregValiant

Hey guys, I have had an Ender 5 Plus for almost two years now and I didn't have that problem originally, been using Cura the entire time.  I did mod in a 32bit board and later a Flex3Drive remote direct drive, had issues with those, finally figuring that out, but unrelated I also had this "triangle" problem and it's not a bad printer, parts, or Cura. It is the Start G-Code in the Cura printer profile machine settings for your specifically added printer in Cura.  

As many have pointed out, there is no gcode drawing that diagonal line after the initial two purge lines on the front left side.  When I first started in 2019 Cura did not have a canned profile pre-loaded for the Ender 5 Plus and I had to add it in manually which means only what I entered (bed dimensions basically) was set. Later I followed some guide and copied in a starting and ending gcode into the Cura printer profile I created for my Ender 5 Plus that came from the Creality demo gcode files. More recently I updated Cura and it does now in fact have a canned Ender 5 Plus profile and I believe the starting and ending gcode is now from them.  So you might blame cura, but this is printer tuning. 

That front-left double purge line comes from the original Creality profiles as I understand. It was then copied into Cura profiles to mimic the stock print job startup behavior and thus behaves similarly.  Wel all know Cura slices our print jobs and generates just the right amount of filament to extrude for each printing move incorporating the settings that we spend so much time tuning, but the printer profile start and end gcode is just slapped around Cura's gcode for the current print like bread slices on a sandwich and takes zero cues from the very carefully configured print settings.

In Cura go to Settings / Printer / Manage Printers then click on your printer profile then to the right click Machine Settings.

Now stretch the settings popup window out so you can see the entire content of the "Start G-Code" and "End G-Code" panes towards the bottom.  Below is mine and it's fairly stock. If you don't know Marlin code well, basically the main commands are either MXXX or GXXX, the option triggers and values follow, and often you'll see a semicolon followed by an explanation.  Anything after the semicolon is a comment and is just to explain or add a note.

M201 X500.00 Y500.00 Z100.00 E5000.00 ;Setup machine max acceleration

M203 X500.00 Y500.00 Z10.00 E50.00 ;Setup machine max feedrate

M204 P500.00 R1000.00 T500.00 ;Setup Print/Retract/Travel acceleration

M205 X8.00 Y8.00 Z0.40 E5.00 ;Setup Jerk  

M220 S100 ;Reset Feedrate

M221 S100 ;Reset Flowrate

G28 ;Home

M420 S1 Z2 ;Enable ABL using saved Mesh and Fade Height

G92 E0 ;Reset Extruder

G1 Z2.0 F3000 ;Move Z Axis up

G1 X10.1 Y20 Z0.28 F5000.0 ;Move to start position

G1 X10.4 Y200.0 Z0.28 F5000.0 ;Move to side a little

G1 X10.4 Y20 Z0.28 F1500.0 E30 ;Draw the second line

G1 E28.7 F2400; retract 1.3mm after test lines to not string before print

G92 E0 ;Reset Extruder

G1 Z2.0 F3000 ;Move Z Axis up

The standard E5P purge line starts in the last section at the second G1 command where it tells the printer to:

1. move nozzle to the front left (X10.1mm and Y 20mm set Z to 0.28 all with a feedrate aka speed of 5000mm/s)

2. move and extrude to X10.1mm Y200mm (180mm) and extrude 15mm of filament (E15 which is absolute counting)

3. move and extrude back to x10.1mm and Y 20mm (another 180mm) and extrude another 15mm of filament (E30)

With absolute positioning from zero E15 means extrude 15 mm of filament according to the calibrated esteps, E30 means extrude ANOTHER 15 mm of filament, and E28.7 means RETRACT 1.3mm of filament. I have a customized direct drive so 1.3mm is where I am in tuning right now.  As you can see I added in the line:

G1 E28.7 F2400; retract 1.3mm after test lines to not string before print

My customized Flex3Drive and I are finally starting to get along and I'm not done with this 3rd generation of tweaks and complete retunings, so don't think that retraction and feedrate is any ideal setting for all Ender 5 Plus printers, but hopefully it will help you all eliminate your "triangle" line at the start up.   As I recall my stock E5P extruder retraction was like 6.5mm so if you wanted to try adding the following line after that 2nd purge test line it would get you close to eliminating your triangle line.  Also if you set your Cura slicer settings to start each layer at the Front Left it would minimize any stringing you did have so that at least it doesn't string across the entire print before the first layer starts printing.

G1 E23.5 F2400; retract 6.5mm after test lines to not string before print

I'm not a pro, but I did figure this out, hope this helps.

So, i have spent the last 2 hours trying to figure out why this is happening to my new ender 6 and i have finally found that  the culprrate is the 'Arc Welder' plugin that is not playing nicely with cura and my printer.

I have use this plugin many times before and hot had an issue but since yesterday it started every print with an anoying triangle when i had a skirt set in my print for bed adhesion. I disabled the option in the this print settigns and since then there has not been any issues.

Weird.

Hope this might help somoene out there.

• Like 1

Have you gotten any prints to work using ArcWelder with that new Ender 6?  A lot of versions of Creality 32 bit firmware do not support G2/G3 arc moves.