Skeinforge setting help

mike

Posted · Skeinforge setting help

Hi guys,

I'm trying to sort out an issue with the ulimaker.

We mostly print extrusions as prototypes for aluminium extrusions. Most have a 1.5mm wall, the ulimaker builds them nicely but fails to fill in the wall.

Can someone help with filling in these gaps. is there a setting we should look at?

Extrusion detail

extrusion.jpg

To make sure it wasnt the way we were exporting the model i used the example hexagon to also show the issue.

See how it doesnt fill in around the inner circle. Creates gaps.

hexagon.jpg

Thanks Mike

I think youll find that its a 0.3mm gap, because the nozzle can only print 0.4mm lines, if you try to print a 1.5mm wall, it will actually just print a 1.2mm wall, since thats the most number of lines it can fit...i havnt explained this very well, just try setting your wall thickness to a multiple of 0.4mm

Your circle doesn't look very round to me, maybe you have a belt tension problem? That also causes the infill to connect less to the outer walls.

Else, you can increase the perimeter infill overlap value. But that's not really recommended.

The thin walls is always a problem. With SkeinPyPy it's a bit easier to get that right if you select the right wall thickness (so the 2 walls connect) but there is no perfect solution.

I think youll find that its a 0.3mm gap, because the nozzle can only print 0.4mm lines, if you try to print a 1.5mm wall, it will actually just print a 1.2mm wall, since thats the most number of lines it can fit...i havnt explained this very well, just try setting your wall thickness to a multiple of 0.4mm

This isn't entirely right.. A 0.4mm nozzle may have a minimum thread width of 0.4mm (or slightly less) but the upper limit is defined by the entire diameter of the nozzle tip, not the size of the opening.. For a 1.5mm wall with a 0.4mm nozzle, you could do three 0.5mm lines.

The real problem comes in (for a 0.4mm nozzle) when you've got an area that's over 0.8mm and under 1.2mm or between 2x and 3x the min thread wdith. You end up taking 0.8mm of width up by the perimeter lines and are left with needing infill smaller than the minumum thread width. In these cases, SF will leave the area empty.