brianmichalk

Feature Request to help print N95 Mask

Posted (edited) · Feature Request to help print N95 Mask

I am printing masks for the local hospital.  I modified the Montana mask (www.github.com/brianmichalk1/MontanaMask) to make it nestable.  I multiply them and arrange them vertically, leaving one layer width between masks.

The problem is not all of the break lines are uniform.  Some are better bonded, and some result in failed prints.  Is there a way to fast track this?

1) Select multiply.  Have a checkbox for "multiply vertical".

2) assuming the part was previously placed for printing, just offset the mask using the same X, Y, but Z is reduced until there is a collision with the mask below.

3) Increase the vertical gap to be the same as the specification for support gap.

Only one point touching the build plate needs to be tested assuming it's a plane.  

Edited by brianmichalk
Fixed link

Posted · Feature Request to help print N95 Mask

Are you sure that nesting them reduces printing time? Printing the required support material for separation also takes time, and it increases the risk of failures, which also cost time.

If you would use two glass plates, and preheat one while the other is printing, so you can switch glasses immediately after completion, it might go faster? Might be worth comparing both?

There is no support material printed.  The previous mask is used for supporting the upper mask.

Even if it is slower, the gains are to be had in not having to service the printer.  I can sleep while the printer is working.

I recently printed a bunch of nested road-cones, with the same concerns - you save a lot of man-hours by just stacking them.

I'll often use an external program (like MS 3D Builder) to make a set of objects how I like, then import them. You could add a small cylinder (say, 2mm dia, 5 high or whatever your offset it. Then stacking them in some programs would be trivial. That break away peg would be all that connects them).

Similarly, using the numerical input on the "move" command can make it easier to get a regular stack - and save a .3mf to capture it all once you have one that works.

Note: github link doesn't work.

Edited by AbeFM

image.thumb.png.1d4005cdee4cd3e23beabfa835c945dd.png

This is what I was thinking, with 3 pyramid "masks" and each has a set of break away legs. It's not as straightforward as I was hoping for though it would work well in an advanced program.

Printing the masks directly on top of each other works.  The snap apart pretty well.  It's just a tedious process to lay it out.  I'm thinking of the printer noobs that want to help.  They may only be able to accomplish simple tasks for printing.

Probably the easiest thing would be to save several versions (STL's):

5 masks, 0.2 layers

10 masks, 0.15 layers

etc.

That would be pretty trivial to load. On Prusa's site you could even post pre-sliced code - though if someone can't slice, can they even check that the mask printed right? 

Edited by AbeFM

I'd upload your plate, once worked out, as an STL.