ER80 Air Manager Not Found caused failed print

CTotten

Posted · ER80 Air Manager Not Found caused failed print
6 hours ago, JonCxW said:

I agree, not a great arrangement. I went ahead and did that, they sent out a new cable.

Post back and let us know how it works out. What baffles me is why this needs to be a fatal error. Yes, I understand that the chamber could overheat and damage the steppers or printhead, or even in some crazy low-odds scenario, possibly cause a fire.  Yes, that could theoretically happen; but it definitely would not happen quickly. In other words, this is not a crisis-level, abort-the-print sort of error; it should only be an informational warning for you to check at the end of the print.  Even in a worst case of running the bed, chamber, and nozzles at the highest allowed temperatures, in a warm external environment, the interior of the machine would take long minutes to get from 50C (its max temp) to even 55C, let alone any temp that is dangerous.  I've put a thermometer in the machine and the chamber is actually hard to heat up - it won't even go past 40-45C in regular office conditions, no matter hot or long you run it. So given that the fault is not urgent, could they not simply retry the communications every 10 seconds for 5-10 minutes to see if the air manager comes back?  It couldn't be more than a few lines of code to retry for a while.  Or make it like the new and improved ER65 error, where the operator has a chance to correct it and resume (in the most recent firmware).  That wouldn't be so hard either, just pop up the error with a fix button, like ER65, instruct the operator to seat the cable, and the machine tests for the Air Manager again.  If still no air manager communications, just make the operator press a button affirming that they've opened the air manager lid to let the heat out. Or hell, just run the fan up to max and let the print run. I've had three prints fail more than 24 hours in over this stupid ER80 error and that is just a lot of time and material to waste for no good reason. I'm just about to the point of unplugging the air manager from the printer, telling the printer it doesn't have an air manager anymore, and using my own external temp controller to control the air manager fan. It's bad enough to lose a print because you messed up the slice or because the material was wet/defective or because the material wouldn't feed right; but to lose a long print for a stupid error that isn't even protecting anything? That's just galling.