Sign in to follow this  
illuminarti

Final Cleaning of PLA

Posted · Final Cleaning of PLA

Here's a handy hint I've been meaning to post for ages; if you have a PLA print that's been discolored by sanding and post-processing, rubbing it with a little mineral oil does wonders to restore the color and give the print a nice sheen. Doesn't seem to do any long term harm, and the effect lasts (at least I have some pieces on my desk that I oiled months ago, and they still look great!)

I use some food safe mineral oil intended for sealing wooden cutting boards (coz that's what I happen to have lying around at home).

Morag - the fbrc8 Thingalump

It's worked with several different PLA's from different manufacturers - but really brings out the best from metallic plastics!

Mineral oil is a bit of a catch-all term for several related refinery by-products:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil

Specifically, I used this:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/Snow-River-Wood-Oil-in-8-Ounce-Bottle/1040042282

I have no idea if it works, but it seems Baby Oil might work just as well (and make the print smell nice :-) )

Personal experience; olive oil can smell/taste weird after it goes rancid.....

Mineral oil is cool since it doesn't spoil (to my knowledge). Olive oil might be fine though, care to test? :)

Yeah, my thought was that olive oil might not hold up well over time. This bottle of mineral oil that I have will probably last me many years, but if I ever run out, perhaps I'll try other oils :-)