Noise left fan on UM2

peter-parnes

Posted · Noise left fan on UM2

Hi Peter

Look at HP-65 photo in this thread i did something similar but i only warped a bit of very thin wire around my left fan as only my left fan makes a noise like you... only needs a bit of tension on the side's then the noise reduces considerable..

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/3442-could-you-speak-up-a-little/

Daid said there working on a solution that will require riveting the fan to the shroud..

I got the impression from another posting that if you merely tighten the screws it fixes the problem (2/3 of my posts are just re-posting something I already read here - sometimes I feel that's all I offer - repeating what other's say).

unfortunately not Gr5 well not in my case had the fan off tightened the screws but still a horrible noise, there must be an underlying issue for ultimaker to be re-designing how the fans are attached as per daid post..... not everyone is suffering the increased noise level but some of us are.....

(2/3 of my posts are just re-posting something I already read here - sometimes I feel that's all I offer - repeating what other's say).

That's why i posted link to the other thread, seems like most forums The search function gets forgotten :wink:

First of, I have not forgotten the search function BUT I have had bad search carma. :)

Thank you for the pointers to the other thread.

I my case it turns out after some more testing and it turns out that two of the four screws holding the fan in place do not actually grab into the metall. I.e. they are loose. Either thicker screws are needed or a new piece of metal cover I guess. I removed the screws, pinched the metal a bit and the noise was reduced a lot.

We have found a different screw that is easy to use in replacement of the current screws. Support should be able to send them too you if you have lose fan problems.

We're also looking into pop-rivets, but getting the exact size is proving to be more complex then expected. And you need special tools to put them together.

My fans were also loose and some of my screws didn't grab the metall.

I don't think that rivets are such a good solution, if you have to change your nozzle or something else on the printhead you can't get the fans and the fan-mounting out of the way.

I screwed off the fan-mounting, drilled a hole of 2mm and cut M2,5 thread in it.

The metal is very thin, so maybe http://www.flowdrill-gmbh.de/ is a good solution for more thread. You can see a video how it works at the Homepage.

Thank you David/Daid. I have an open ticket with support since yesterday afternoon and I suggest what you just wrote.

I would like to confirm that if you, (anyone), is having this similar issue with the fan screw coming loose, it is no problem for us to sent you a pair of new screws. Please let us know through a support-ticket. Thank you!

Thank you Sander, ticket has been open since yesterday afternoon. No answer. I look forward to the screws.