Help on filament choice

gbr1

Posted · Help on filament choice

Hi All,

After deliberating for a while which printer to get I have finally ordered a UM2.

So I am now looking a where to get the filament from.. As a newbi to all this I would rather spend a bit more and get a "reliable" fliament to start with so I can eliminate as many of the possible upcoming errors as possible..

The filament market is as much of a minefield as the printer market so any advice is welcom.

Initially I was looking at geting some PLA and ABS (I know the UM2 comes with a roll but is that PLA or ABS?) and is it from FormFutura, are they the supplier to Ultimaker?

The other company that is spoken highly of is Faberdashry, any thoughts on their products?

I am in the UK so most of these companies can ship easily!

Many thanks in advance for you help and advice!

GBR1

Faberdashery's filament is excellent - I have several of their colors and have been pleased with them. I would definitely recommend them to users in the UK, where the shipping costs are so much lower. Plus, you can buy smaller quantities, so you aren't stuck with large reels.

I always recommend faberdasherry (although I am never sure how to exactly spell their name).

You could also consider colorfabb, they act very close with the Ultimaker community.

Obviously, our filament also meets our quality standards.

These are interesting if you are based in Europe.

Where are you from?

Almost all of my filament comes from Faberdashery... All except the non-pla filament that I have. I've got pretty much every colour that Faberdashery makes. It is excellent filament.

However, the problem I have with it is that it tangles easily because it does not come on a spool. You need to be very careful with it... It tends to get tangled if just stored with other similarly rolled up filament and if you just feed it into the machine as it is without putting it on some sort of spool it has a tendency to get twisted up and produce a big messy knot that will not feed.

Cheers,

Troy.

Oh CodeMaven, I know those tangles all too well! hehe. As a matter of fact just today I received these velcro wraps that I intend to use to wrangle the mess.

Thanks everyone,

well, looks like Faerdashry it is..

I phoned them and they were very helpful.. He (Andrew) said I should just print an adjustable spool holder to put the filament on. I have had a quick scout (and will continue to do so) through Thiingiverse as he sujested, does anyone on here have a tried and tested version for the UM2?

Many thanks

GBR1

If you're in the UK, you should definetly go with faberdashery filament. It's excellent quality and the have a good selection. It is some of the most expensive PLA filament on the market, but at least you won't have high shipping costs or taxes.

Also, faberdashery claims their filament is produced in the UK, so you support your country's economy by buying from them ;)

I haven't printed any ABS yet, so I can't help you with that.

/edit:

Don't the 100m coils come on spools? Until now I only bought samples, but I thought the 100m coils were actually spools. (Though it doesn't actually say that...)

By the way I'm creating a spool holder at the moment. It'll take some more days until I have it ready but it's going to be the best spool holder ever (EVER!!!) :D

It's been quite a while since I last ordered (almost a year now) but the 100m coil of black I ordered back then did not come on a spool.

Hi JonnyB

No they dont yet, the guy told me they are going to start selling some on spools if required. This should start very soon, before the end of the year..

Looking forward to seeing the holder!

GBR1

Faberdashery are indeed very good and Colorfabb PLA/PHA is very good too.

Colorfabb's shipping is reasonable too, and is very prompt.

I spoke to one of the Faberdashery employees at the 3d print show in London and mentioned how much I liked their PLA but found the lack of spools infuriating. The nice lady said that they should have some good news on that front soon....

Faberdashery was the best,but the tangles was a really pain on my.....ss,hope theirs resolve that soon(also the envelope was so sweet..)

ultimaker was good really good,some premium ones from formfutura as well,

And i go to buy my next big filament bacht from color fabb,with some woodfill,xt,and PLA so i give a feedback then.

Just to be contrary... I actually like that Faberdashery filament doesn't come on spools. It is much more loosely curled than a normal spool, so it feeds easier with less resistance. I generally just put the entire coil of filament on the floor under the printer, on a turntable to that it can unwind easily.

@Sander: Where do you guys get the Ultimaker filament from? You don't produce it inhouse - do you?

In the USA, printbl.com is excellent.

Where do you guys get the Ultimaker filament from?

I think it's a secret. But I'm pretty sure it is colorfabb.com. If you look on their web page and also on ultimaker web page you will see the spools that hold the filament are very similar.

Illuminarti: I think the Faberdashery filament is excellent but only works for shorter prints (<5 hours). Even with a lazywe Susan setup I've had tangling problems with prints that are 10 hours or more and unattended...how long prints works for you with the turntable? We often do 10-30 hour prints and need them to be as failsafe as possible.

We

Use Colorfabb which has proven to be excellent :)

Thanks everyone.. As I can buy from Fabersashry by the meter I will get some from them and also order some from colorfabb and compare..

Are people fnding with different colours (both PLA for example) you have to change the variables much (ie extrusion temp etc)?

Looking forward to experimenting but advance knowledge is always handy!

GBR1