panelmax / ulticontroller how do i flash

Posted · panelmax / ulticontroller how do i flash

so i have built the panelmax from http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:49954/#instructions

but how do i flash it? in the instructions it says flash with the following code etc etc...

but i don't know how to flash, has any of you done this?

Also i read that there are different wiring schematics for the ultimaker.. can anyone help me with which colour should go where?

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6xuouf&s=6#.UpFKZWD2KqA

because this make no sense at all

Flashing refers to uploading the firmware to the arduino. You need to download the source for Marlin, edit it as discussed in the instructions, and then compile the code and upload it. You can probably just do it from the arduino IDE by hitting the 'compile and upload' button (if you're unclear, see http://www.extrudable.me/2013/11/09/qu-bd-rxl-build-and-install-repetier/ - that's a different firmware from Marling, but the actual compile-and-uplaod process is the same). Failing that, you might want to see http://www.extrudable.me/2013/05/03/building-marlin-from-scratch/ from the command line.

ummmmm ok... i was hoping to build the parts and plug it in. is it not that simple then?

when i plug in the clone ulticontroller now i get loads of squares on the display. But I'm guessing I'm wiring it up wrong?

update:

got arduino for my mac installed...

looking at github now... not sure what time looking for so re-reading your extrudable.me page - but i see what you mean, github is a crazy complicated site

I'm not sure... since it's a generic RepRap controller, and not something Ultimaker-specific, the pinouts discussed in the article aren't the same as for the ulticontroller... and you need to build custom firmware for it each time. Although It *might* work if you can plug everything in to the right places, if it behaves exactly the same as an Ulticontroller (which the Ultimaker-specific instructions on Thigiverse sort of imply). But I'm not sure if that's the case. Certainly, the instructions that you're working from that discuss making config change to the pins.h file are talking about making changes for RAMPS electronics - those won't work directly for the ultimaker electronics either.

You need to look at the schematic diagram for the board you build, and see where each wire connects to. And then find the equivalent place in the UM-specfic diagram to see where to connect the other end of the wire to on the Ultimaker end of things. Then, with a bit of luck, it will work with the default UM firmware that's expecting an Ulticontroller.

well the result of my LCD when plugged into AUX2 is giving my lots of squares on the lcd... I've read that this is a good thing as it is powering up...

Blocks on screen meaning that the LCD is power up and ready for software to send over stuff to display. Check your pin mappings, also, make sure R/W is either shorted to ground or connected to a pin that is set low all the time in software(this is handy if you want to play with other firmware that actually uses the R/W pin later on).

So im guessing i WILL need to edit my firmware