Sign in to follow this  
Dim3nsioneer

z stage hangs

Posted · z stage hangs

After chasing irregular horizontal lines appearing in my prints for over a week I think I finally found the cause. I accidentally watched the z stage as it was jammed at one layer and suddenly dropped leaving a layer with massive underextrusion.

Jamming was possible as I used a flexible coupling (which was unfortunately also flexible in z direction).

For the time being I remounted the original Ultimaker coupling which makes sure there are no such lines. However, the z wobble increase a bit... :sad:

As other people had similar issues with their Ultimaker Originals, I would like for advice how to avoid jamming of the z stage. Are there e.g. any known issues with the linear bearings?

Posted · z stage hangs

I had the same problem, I had a lot of gaps on tall prints,

making the Z-platform more heavy solved it for me.

IMG_1007segment.jpg

Posted · z stage hangs

Aha,

similar opinions I see.

Z stage hangs, what I thought....

See the roll of Lead, between the lexan and the wooden logo plate.

Not a scientific solution but it works :cool: For a couple of months already..

WP 000733

Posted · z stage hangs

Thanks for the hint with the weight. As being a Swiss I will of course take Gold instead of Lead... :wink:

Posted · z stage hangs

I guess a 2kg Basalt heated bed will do the trick, too?

Or is it important to put the weight near the axis instead of far away from it (which changes the force effecting on the axis!)?