Importing model + infill mesh from Fusion 360 - how to preserve accurate position of infill mesh component?

meowsqueak

Posted (edited) · Importing model + infill mesh from Fusion 360 - how to preserve accurate position of infill mesh component?

I have a model I've designed in Fusion 360 as a Component. I have an area I need to be solid infill, so I am hoping to use Cura's Infill Mesh feature to define a volume where the infill is different. I have therefore designed a separate Component in Fusion 360 (a simple cuboid) that is located in the correct place, relative to the first component.

In Cura I have disabled "Ensure models are kept apart" and "Automatically drop models to the build plate".

Fusion 360 only lets me directly send components to Cura one-at-a-time, so I've done this, but unfortunately the second component (the infill mesh component) always ends up at some arbitrary location on the Cura build plate, which is not correct relative to the primary model. I can manually move it but the accuracy of the location is lost.

I've seen some forum posts where people manually position their infill meshes, however this is not ideal because I have another project with precisely positioned infill meshes that I want to handle next.

Is there a way to import both components, this without losing the accurate location of the infill mesh?

Edited by meowsqueak

Posted · Importing model + infill mesh from Fusion 360 - how to preserve accurate position of infill mesh component?
    7 hours ago, meowsqueak said:

Fusion 360 only lets me directly send components to Cura one-at-a-time

I think, the "Merge Models" function in Cura is useful in this case:

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011738340-How-to-merge-and-group-models-in-Ultimaker-Cura

• Thanks 1

Posted · Importing model + infill mesh from Fusion 360 - how to preserve accurate position of infill mesh component?

@tinkergnome thank you, I think this is very useful. I had to merge the meshes as per the article, and then ungroup the models, which restores the individual models so that I can designate one as an infill mesh, with the side-effect that the meshes are all located in their correct positions. Thank you!