Different Layer Heights for 2 Extruders? (configure custom print core?)

MagicalBeard

Posted · Different Layer Heights for 2 Extruders? (configure custom print core?)

Is there still no way to do this? I did find the post below from last year.

I have a 0.25 nozzle and a 0.4, I only want to print the text on top of the object with the 0.25, I'm forced to use the same print profile for both and the layer height is pulled down to 0.1mm.

Now - I'm using a solex 3d printcore which is recognized by the machine as an AA 0.4 - so I cant have two separate "cores" in the build. Would I be able to have different layer heights (as a multiple) if I had two separate print cores? 

Is it even possible to make a new printcore configuration? I'd probably just clone the AA 0.25 and rename it.

Posted · Different Layer Heights for 2 Extruders? (configure custom print core?)
    1 hour ago, MagicalBeard said:

Would I be able to have different layer heights (as a multiple) if I had two separate print cores? 

No, it would not.

• 11 months later...

Why such a flippant response? I'm a little surprised that this isn't an option with Cura. I'm printing with a .6mm nozzle for nylon w/ carbon fiber, and a .4mm nozzle with VarioShore for brim and pressure-fit gaskets. I'd like to print a different temp and finer layer height with the VarioShore, while printing the nylon w/ carbon fiber at a different layer height. It should be possible with 2 different sized nozzles, and makes no sense as to why it isn't supported.  It is very easy to do this with Simplify3D with Ultimaker printers. 

You are reading more into @ahoeben answer than is there.  He merely answered the question.  Answering the question is not being disrespectful.

In Cura, you can't have different layer heights for 2 different things  on the same layer. The one exception I know of is that you can have infill be an integral multiple of the infill (or is it support?  I think it's infill.).

So different layer heights with 2 different nozzles can complicate things.  Now you have to worry about collisions where a nozzle hits something that was printed at a taller height - potentially with a different nozzle.  It's quite tricky.  I'm guessing they implemented it such that the Z axis never goes backwards.  Which means sometimes you have to do multiple layers with one nozzle.

But if there are sloped walls now sometimes you have to print under an overhang - yikes.  This just seems like a can of worms unless you are printing very simple things - for example things with only vertical walls.

12 hours ago, gr5 said:

You are reading more into @ahoeben answer than is there.  He merely answered the question.  Answering the question is not being disrespectful.

I'm certain I was reading more into @ahoeben's response than was warranted, for which I apologize. After numerous hours and several failed prints, I sooo wanted @ahoeben's answer to explain why this isn't possible. 

In Cura, you can't have different layer heights for 2 different things  on the same layer. The one exception I know of is that you can have infill be an integral multiple of the infill (or is it support?  I think it's infill.).

So different layer heights with 2 different nozzles can complicate things.  Now you have to worry about collisions where a nozzle hits something that was printed at a taller height - potentially with a different nozzle.  It's quite tricky.  I'm guessing they implemented it such that the Z axis never goes backwards.  Which means sometimes you have to do multiple layers with one nozzle.

But if there are sloped walls now sometimes you have to print under an overhang - yikes.  This just seems like a can of worms unless you are printing very simple things - for example things with only vertical walls.

This makes sense, as I'm not printing a simple shape. I'm printing 3 domes of varying widths, stacked face-down on the build plate (first image is just for shape reference). 

I've set different layer heights in Simplify3D and will reply to this thread with results. Thanks for your explanation.

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 9.30.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 9.39.37 AM.png

5 hours ago, ahoeben said:

I did not mean to be flippant, just factual.

My apologies. Been pulling out what's left of my hair over this and was looking for an explanation as to why.

By the way, it is possible to reprogram the 3dsolex to be "AA 0.25" but this won't help your issue of wanting different layer heights.

I reread your first post and realize this has nothing to do with print head or cores - it has to do with changing layer heights when you reach a certain position.

I would strongly consider using S3D.  S3D lets you split the part up by layer heights and change things when you switch to a new Z height.  Crua is much more fancy - it has "mesh modifiers" where you can have a complicated 3D shape say that "anything in this area has different settings".  Unfortunately, layer height is not an option because the mesh is a complicated shape but easy to implement in S3D because the shape is simple - it's a layer change.

Does this make sense?

That's why it's an easy feature for S3D but very difficult for Ultimaker.

Another solution in Cura is to slice the letters as a different part.  Set the Z position of the letters exactly at the top of the first part and using the second extruder.  Then you have to cut/paste the second gcode onto the first.  You really need to practice this with a small part first as there are many things that can go wrong (for example don't copy the header section of the first part).  But it is doable.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gr5 said:

By the way, it is possible to reprogram the 3dsolex to be "AA 0.25" but this won't help your issue of wanting different layer heights.

I reread your first post and realize this has nothing to do with print head or cores - it has to do with changing layer heights when you reach a certain position.

I would strongly consider using S3D.  S3D lets you split the part up by layer heights and change things when you switch to a new Z height.  Crua is much more fancy - it has "mesh modifiers" where you can have a complicated 3D shape say that "anything in this area has different settings".  Unfortunately, layer height is not an option because the mesh is a complicated shape but easy to implement in S3D because the shape is simple - it's a layer change.

Does this make sense?

That's why it's an easy feature for S3D but very difficult for Ultimaker.

Another solution in Cura is to slice the letters as a different part.  Set the Z position of the letters exactly at the top of the first part and using the second extruder.  Then you have to cut/paste the second gcode onto the first.  You really need to practice this with a small part first as there are many things that can go wrong (for example don't copy the header section of the first part).  But it is doable.

I was wrong... Apparently one cannot change the layer height independently in S3D, as the Primary Extruder dictates the layer height. I was confusing this with the ability to change extruder width and nozzle diameter independently.

Pro tip with S3D: You can "lie" about the nozzle diameter and fake it pretty well.

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 10.12.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 10.16.31 AM.png

But you *can* change layer height at a certain layer and say "from here up do 0.1mm layers instead of 0.32mm layers"

• Like 1