Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

UM2+ still a valid choice for 3d printer!!


Recommended Posts

Posted · UM2+ still a valid choice for 3d printer!!

I use a S5 and a normal 3, on a daily base. But these are not fast machines. The second nozzle does impact speed and quality. So i just added a new 2+ to do my single material prints, nothing can beat this machine in single material prints.

I know that i am not alone in this thinking.

😉

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · UM2+ still a valid choice for 3d printer!!

    +1

     

    If it's single extrusion and it fits the build plate I also prefer the UM2.  My most used machine is my UM2 upgraded with a duet3D board, it just has the best workflow. I do usually use the S5 for the more  exotic materials.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · UM2+ still a valid choice for 3d printer!!

    Im new to the UM family as i just got a UM2 that has the + upgrade done. what did the duet3D board do for you? I have a robo3d, a Gmax xl+, and now the UM2+. my robo3d has about everything on it modded my Gmax is stock. The only thing i want to fix on my UM2+ is the noise, I have lots of squeaks cumming form somewhere in the gantry and i get a high pitch sound coming form one of my driver/ stepper motor on movement form one part/move to new location.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · UM2+ still a valid choice for 3d printer!!
    49 minutes ago, Mightynova63 said:

    Im new to the UM family as i just got a UM2 that has the + upgrade done. what did the duet3D board do for you? I have a robo3d, a Gmax xl+, and now the UM2+. my robo3d has about everything on it modded my Gmax is stock. The only thing i want to fix on my UM2+ is the noise, I have lots of squeaks cumming form somewhere in the gantry and i get a high pitch sound coming form one of my driver/ stepper motor on movement form one part/move to new location.

     

    Something is wrong, my 2+ is my most quiet machine. How many hours on it?

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · UM2+ still a valid choice for 3d printer!!
    3 hours ago, ultiarjan said:

    +1

     

    If it's single extrusion and it fits the build plate I also prefer the UM2.  My most used machine is my UM2 upgraded with a duet3D board, it just has the best workflow. I do usually use the S5 for the more  exotic materials.

     

    I have a complete Duet with big screen lying around, what would i gain by modding my 2+?

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · UM2+ still a valid choice for 3d printer!!
    1 hour ago, RudydG said:

     

    I have a complete Duet with big screen lying around, what would i gain by modding my 2+?

    Biggest thing for me is ease of use, just send the file to it directly from Cura, monitor progress on your phone, do a reprint directly from the screen (if you have it) or just any device with a browser. Just total control from any device.

     

    The control and ease of experimentation is also great, you control the whole setup from a few txt files, no more recompiling firmware, just a reboot.  Also the machine becomes even more quiet. 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · UM2+ still a valid choice for 3d printer!!
    1 minute ago, ultiarjan said:

    Biggest thing for me is ease of use, just send the file to it directly from Cura, monitor progress on your phone, do a reprint directly from the screen (if you have it) or just any device with a browser. Just total control from any device.

     

    The control and ease of experimentation is also great, you control the whole setup from a few txt files, no more recompiling firmware, just a reboot.  Also the machine becomes even more quiet. 

    got a picture?

     

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · UM2+ still a valid choice for 3d printer!!
    2 hours ago, Mightynova63 said:

    I have lots of squeaks cumming form somewhere in the gantry

     

    I just did some serious maintenance on my 2 Ultimaker 2's (early 2014) . Cleaned all pulley's, got a new belt kit, new bowden,  cleaned all rods, z-rod, z-nut, new ptfe thingy in the printhead (and I may forget something) basically spend some time and maybe 50 to 100 euro and the machine feels like new again, for me it really made a difference, specially in the noise department.... 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · UM2+ still a valid choice for 3d printer!!
    13 minutes ago, RudydG said:

    got a picture?

     

    One of my Ultimaker2's is still original (apart from Tinkergnome's firmware), the 2 machines in the picture both have a duet board. On the left the UM2 with the 7"screen, which is silly, the 5"would look much better.... on the right my DIY Ultimaker GO extended, with the 5"screen. The screen position is not very smart if you want to use a front cover on the machine...

     

    UltimakerDuet2x.thumb.jpg.2a5e7f65b3ff365eb9e892f02b78a009.jpg

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted (edited) · UM2+ still a valid choice for 3d printer!!
    3 minutes ago, ultiarjan said:

     

    One of my Ultimaker2's is still original (apart from Tinkergnome's firmware), the 2 machines in the picture both have a duet board. On the left the UM2 with the 7"screen, which is silly, the 5"would look much better.... on the right my DIY Ultimaker GO extended, with the 5"screen. The screen position is not very smart if you want to use a front cover on the machine...

     

    UltimakerDuet2x.thumb.jpg.2a5e7f65b3ff365eb9e892f02b78a009.jpg

    Yes, the 7inch looks silly, but i have that lying around... But maybe i can connect it with some sort of extension cable, and not fix it on the printer, but use it "on the side"

    But to be honest, the only advantage is see is the wifi transfer of files. seems like a lot of work to archive that. 😭😁😳

    Edited by RudydG
  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · UM2+ still a valid choice for 3d printer!!
    Just now, RudydG said:

    Yes, the 7inch looks silly, but i have that lying around... But maybe i can connect it with some sort of extension cable, and not fix it on the printer, but use it "on the side"

     

    Yep, mounting it on the left side using a hinge to be able to fold it in could work well

     

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...