magnetar68

Tolerances with Ultimaker Tough PLA Black

Posted · Tolerances with Ultimaker Tough PLA Black

I am running some tests on my new Ultimaker S3 and comparing it to similar prints on my Prusa i3 MK3S, but the filaments are not the same, so it is a bit apples-to-oranges.

When I run a tolerance test with default Ultimaker Cura settings for "Generic Tough PLA" (I am feeding the filament from a PolyBox), anything under 0.4mm tolerances stick together whereas my Prusa with Prusa PLA White goes all the way down to 0.15mm but with some friction. Anything above that, however, is loose.

Any ideas?

The print quality, however, is better on the Utlimaker, in general, so I was a bit surprised that the tolerances were not as good.

Posted · Tolerances with Ultimaker Tough PLA Black

I run a S5 for almost 2 years now. I can tell you that I have made the same observation too. Surprisingly, the costly printer is not that much accurate, at least using the default prnt settings.

To acheive better accuracy you can reduce outerwall printing speed and acceleration. Also you would need to have a negative fisrt layer expansion (like -0,2mm), this is important since Ultimaker is really pushing hard the molten plastic against the print bed to assure a good first layer adhesion.

Also, check the X and Y axis parallelism on the S5 they were not...