Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
r_moeller

Materials and Print Setting Profiles

Posted · Materials and Print Setting Profiles

Hello 

quite new to Cura I am wondering about the relation between Materials and Print Setting Profiles. I have loaded a material from marketplace (BASF Ultrafuse PET) and it has two profiles (Fast and Fine). After comparing the Fast profile with some Generic and Ultimaker profiles it seems that the BASF profile is based on the generic CPE profile with the material specific settings (e.g. temperature) mixed in. When I export the material settings the XML contains only the values that can be managed in the Preferences/Materials window, There seems to be no information about a Print Settings Profile used as basis so I guess that the complete Profile is also downloaded when the Material is installed?

Rainer 

Correct. It's the combination of a quality & material profile that defines the settings.

Hello nallath,

thank you for making this point clear.

But by playing a little more with the profiles i found that there seems to be a bit more "magic" in the them.

If I take a profile from a specific material e.g. Ultimaker Tough PLA, Profile "Fine"

1.thumb.JPG.e59e599c29b187f5e9f43ab60844af05.JPG

and  change a setting (maybe brim to skirt) so I can save it as custom profile it will reflect the original settings of the material/print settings profil. If i choose a different material e.g Ultimaker ABS, Profile "Fine" there might be some settings with a different value, in this case infill line width 0.45 and 0.4 are different.

2.thumb.JPG.218f3cee7d9f95bbca64900b1ff2f4d6.JPG

If I now use the custom profile previously saved for the now selected ABS Material it seems it will use the setting from the "Fine" profile of ABS and not the one from the Material it was created with (Tough PLA).

3.thumb.JPG.695670612a133688a8e748b93ec4b577.JPG

I wonder how the settings are choosen. Are the  print setting profiles (fine, normal, fast etc.) not only names but kind of classes so that Cura knows that it has to use unchanged settings from the corresponding profile of the selected material?

Reason I am looking into this is that I love the new Intent Profiles because the Engeneering profiles will give me fitting holes out of the box but the materials I have installed from marketplace don't have these profiles.

Rainer

Great information how the settings are derived from the different (profile)layers.

Thanky sou so much.