UM3E Print Resolution

Posted · UM3E Print Resolution
5 hours ago, nallath said:

I hardly ever change the settings. I tend to just stick to the default profiles that Cura has.

I run defaults on my 2+

The only reason I fiddled with the 3E slicing settings is because of this issue

I am printing a high poly cylinder and a medium poly cylinder now on the same print to see if it's an STL export issue

ToughPLA also arrives today, so let's coordinate on what we would like to print

2 hours ago, Crono986 said:

I run defaults on my 2+

The only reason I fiddled with the 3E slicing settings is because of this issue

I am printing a high poly cylinder and a medium poly cylinder now on the same print to see if it's an STL export issue

ToughPLA also arrives today, so let's coordinate on what we would like to print

I suggest this:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2166102

I will print it on my um3, Cura 4.6.1, default 0.15mm with ultimaker tough black pla setting. Probably will be on my printer in 24hours. (is busy now)

8 hours ago, nallath said:

I hardly ever change the settings. I tend to just stick to the default profiles that Cura has.

Same here, only the Brim removed, and Z offset of 0.1, and for mechanical parts horizontal -0.1

I miss with brims and rafts supports very often

I also change infills and speed depending on if i'm prototyping or not.

I've re-downloaded the STL you linked to make sure we are on the same page.

I will print that cube using the purchased ToughPLA on each of my 3E machines and report the results.

Posted (edited) · UM3E Print Resolution

Here you are:

UM3

AA 0.4

Latest cura, default setting 0.15

Polymaker tough pla blackIMG_2472.thumb.jpeg.c126477a2cbd33d62fe349219420d048.jpegIMG_2473.thumb.jpeg.4b218f20784b20fa6778e484d973df5f.jpegIMG_2474.thumb.jpeg.3d91e0beea1972fad52a03dd6b089fa9.jpeg

The damage to the brim is a result of a too high adhesive from the first layer (normally i do a Z 0.1 offset)

Greetings,

RudyIMG_2471.thumb.jpeg.0e702f50542134c0f18d7c99d5bb18e5.jpeg

Edited by RudydG

59 minutes ago, RudydG said:

Here you are:

UM3

AA 0.4

Latest cura, default setting 0.15

Polymaker tough pla blackIMG_2472.thumb.jpeg.c126477a2cbd33d62fe349219420d048.jpegIMG_2473.thumb.jpeg.4b218f20784b20fa6778e484d973df5f.jpegIMG_2474.thumb.jpeg.3d91e0beea1972fad52a03dd6b089fa9.jpeg

The damage to the brim is a result of a to high adhesive from the first layer (normally i di a Z 0.1 offset)

Greetings,

RudyIMG_2471.thumb.jpeg.0e702f50542134c0f18d7c99d5bb18e5.jpeg

59 minutes ago, RudydG said:

I'll have two on each printer tonight.

And yea, I already know it won't look like that.

Wow that is smooth.

Edited by Crono986

Here are the three prints with three STL levels:

IMG_9104.thumb.JPG.e2474ad8d9bd6ad278f6b398a2b3193f.JPG

Left is SW default coarse, middle is SW default fine, right is super fine (what I typically print)

IMG_9107.thumb.JPG.32937f04197b8a9dfd81c014c88af116.JPGIMG_9106.thumb.JPG.94b2ab21f031d5d6882a2ca0e4368b54.JPGIMG_9105.thumb.JPG.d3e5a14b6eea06ee915b437b808cd4be.JPG

The problem persists.

ToughPLA black tonight.

1 hour ago, Crono986 said:

Here are the three prints with three STL levels:

IMG_9104.thumb.JPG.e2474ad8d9bd6ad278f6b398a2b3193f.JPG

Left is SW default coarse, middle is SW default fine, right is super fine (what I typically print)

IMG_9107.thumb.JPG.32937f04197b8a9dfd81c014c88af116.JPGIMG_9106.thumb.JPG.94b2ab21f031d5d6882a2ca0e4368b54.JPGIMG_9105.thumb.JPG.d3e5a14b6eea06ee915b437b808cd4be.JPG

The problem persists.

ToughPLA black tonight.

Are you sure your filament is dry? do you still have your 2+?

Just now, RudydG said:

Are you sure your filament is dry? do you still have your 2+?

Yes 100% the filament is dry.  It was brand new prior to printing.

I have put hundreds of prints through this printer with tons of different filaments.  It is not a filament issue.

Just now, Crono986 said:

Yes 100% the filament is dry.  It was brand new prior to printing.

I have put hundreds of prints through this printer with tons of different filaments.  It is not a filament issue.

Let's see what the Polymax result will be. 

Here is the first print from one of my 3Es.

I will print on the other 3E as soon as it is complete.

IMG_9118.thumb.JPG.ecc9e5820286f920de8a57af611ae7cb.JPGIMG_9117.thumb.JPG.19308373a2a6fba192765871e036c3a8.JPGIMG_9116.thumb.JPG.2eb777cb262f7cffca8b1ba467124e82.JPGIMG_9115.thumb.JPG.e96b45c6a983a1d5223747ee8b41d47c.JPG

Your X and Y faces are so much cleaner than mine!

When it's printing does it feel like the printer as alot of vibration?

It also looks like you got to much filament flow as the corners are really sticking out, what could be down to jerk and acceleration.

Might be a good idea if your able to film and upload the printer printing a few layers of the print as sometimes you can see more whats going on.

13 hours ago, Crono986 said:

Your X and Y faces are so much cleaner than mine!

Yes, quite remarkable!

The most critical things are speed, (jerk and acceleration)

Maybe one off the belt tensioning?

Hi,

one -possibly stupid- question: are all of your frame-screws tight? They sometimes get lose by vibrations and seldom get payed attention.

Regards

Team,
    First and foremost I wanted to thank you all for being so patient with me in working through this.  I am grateful Ultimaker has such a great community that people would go out of their way to help strangers.

That said, here is the print from the second printer - same exact settings.
    Both printers were bought used from the same ex-retailer. 

Belts have been tightened and greased.

Build plate screws are in and stable - I manually level it and active leveling is on.

I will film a few layers and see if that answers any questions.

I have tried prints with achingly slow speed, acceleration, and jerk.

IMG_9122.JPG

IMG_9123.JPG

IMG_9124.JPG

Edited by Crono986
    • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Crono986 said:

Both p ri nters were bought used from the same ex-retailer. 

Just in case we cannot find the reason here, with an UM printer you can contact every reseller for help, so don't worry.

I don't know if fbrc8 is in your area, but maybe @fbrc8-erin can help you anyway.

• Like 1

Already in talks with Erin Oliver.  I wanted to try one last time to troubleshoot with community before sending it to Memphis.  I believe that is the way to go, though.

Just wondering: while printing, can you see it stuttering? Or if you put your finger on the head, can you feel more vibrations in the head than in the other printer? And if you put your finger on the feeder, or the filament just before the feeder: do you feel (more) stuttering? This might give a clue whether it is mechanical in the head drive train, in the feeder traject, or electrical due to temperature changes, or power supply changes, or interference or something?

22 hours ago, geert_2 said:

Just wondering: while printing, can you see it stuttering? Or if you put your finger on the head, can you feel more vibrations in the head than in the other printer? And if you put your finger on the feeder, or the filament just before the feeder: do you feel (more) stuttering? This might give a clue whether it is mechanical in the head drive train, in the feeder traject, or electrical due to temperature changes, or power supply changes, or interference or something?

Good tips

The feeder feeds really smooth.  Doesn't seem to be an issue there.

The head does stutter, but not anything I haven't seen other printers do - especially if it comes to infill between close walls.

Remember, this issue is only happening on one axis.

13 hours ago, Crono986 said:

Did you check the pulleys? I once had a pulley that was coming lose. (check on the motors and the connecting pulleys)

Edited by RudydG

Yep.  Checked pulleys.  I bought the box from Ultimaker so I can ship them one of my UM3Es.  I'm just going to have them go over it.

Something curious did happen though.  On one of my UM3Es, I produced an amazingly beautiful print (no changes from me, I've been cranking out prints 24/7).  Excited, I printed another part.

Exact same printer (UM3E)

Exact same slice settings (default 0.1mm fine)

Exact same filament

Exact same orientation

All parameters I can think of, consistent

And yet I produced two very different prints.

What could cause this? (look at the difference in the black piece)No photo description available.No photo description available.Image may contain: phone