impossible to print a simply cover

lextor

Posted · impossible to print a simply cover

Hi,

i have a ultimaker I,i have try few time to print a simply cover of my samsung s4 but impossible to do a lot of mistake during the printing.

I use pla,190° degree print speed 50 mm/s,layer 0,06,shell 0.8,fill density 20%,thikness 0.6 and platform brim.

I have calibrate few time the bed,the pulls and other parts,oiled and i have calibrate at my max but nothing (spring 11mm).

I have the same problem with other fugure and in cura i see always a lot of error type:Error:No Line Number with checksum, Last Line: 35293

Some printing not bad but others no possible to print...

only 2 weeks that i have this great 3d printer but now no idea to fix the problem....

Suggest????

thank to everyone can help me.....sure is there some hard mistakes but find it not easy....

Daniele

The Cura line number errors are just internal error checking. If necessary, lines should get resent automatically. So ignore those for now.

Start printing slightly thicker layers - maybe 0.15mm. That'll make it easier to see what is going on, and you'll get results faster.

Then put your temperature up, a lot. I'd start at 230º. That'll help improve the flow of material.

Once you've done that, post some photos so we can see what's going on, and specifically what errors you are having.

jpeg

this is the results...great i can say :)

http://postimg.org/image/7x7vj74br/

i have use this setup with cura

http://postimg.org/image/tydc4eeeh/

You're printing it so that the thin flat back is unsupported - and more to the point, the cutout in the middle has nothing under it, so that when the printer tries to draw the cut out shape, there is nothing for the plastic to sit on.

Up to that point, it looks like it's printing fairly well.

Rotate the model 180 degrees in Cura, so that the big flat part sits on the bed.

You're printing it the wrong way up. Flip it over so that the back of the cover rests on the bed. While the printer can bridge small gaps this is too much to handle with good looking results.

Select the object by clicking on it, then click on the Rotate button in the lower left, three rings will appear around your object, by clicking and dragging these rings you can rotate your object so that the back is down.

i try immediately.....

I don't have any type of experience i download and print because i think ultimaker can do all...not always :)

thank you very much!!!

Daniele

twitter @lextor199

What do you think???

is not a great print....a lot of mistake.....

http://imageshack.com/a/img31/8714/3jec.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img571/4571/zqp3.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img823/4121/z5gz.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img853/640/cn8o.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img138/5526/n9hg.jpg

How can i do better??

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:99643

example give to me a suggest about setting to print this sample i copy and try

thank you for your support...

Nice!

1) On one side there are vertical lines caused by infill showing through. You can fix this by increasing your shell thickness some more. If you were using 0-.6 then try .8. If you were using 0.6 to 1.1 then instead try 1.2.

2) The stringing is fixable but I wouldn't bother with this print as there isn't much and it's easy to clean up but you could give it a quick shot - make sure "retraction" is checked and in advanced set the two distances to 0 (I don't think they should ever be non-zero).

3) "Bottom" Those are the easy fixes. Here is the hard one: I can see the tape marks in your print - the wrinkles in tape. To fix the bottom I recommend getting some glass from your local glass store - spend the $5 or so to get a cut piece that fits nicely on your bed but doesn't interfere with the leveling screws. Get a thick piece if you can (5mm). Be very careful when you home the bed not to break the glass! Because the new home position will have moved - a lot! Also buy a glue stick from an office supply store. Coat the glass with some glue stick before you print. Use a damp cloth to spread the glue stick evenly and thinly and wait for it to dry. Print the first layer at 240C and then switch back to whatever temp you printed this at after first layer is done. Consider pre-heating the glass just a little - 30C is good with a hair dryer if the glue stick isn't enough. Clamp the glass to the bed with large "paper clips". The kind that can clamp 80 pages of paper.

3) "Bottom" Those are the easy fixes. Here is the hard one: I can see the tape marks in your print - the wrinkles in tape. To fix the bottom I recommend getting some glass from your local glass store - spend the $5 or so to get a cut piece that fits nicely on your bed but doesn't interfere with the leveling screws. Get a thick piece if you can (5mm). Be very careful when you home the bed not to break the glass! Because the new home position will have moved - a lot! Also buy a glue stick from an office supply store. Coat the glass with some glue stick before you print. Use a damp cloth to spread the glue stick evenly and thinly and wait for it to dry. Print the first layer at 240C and then switch back to whatever temp you printed this at after first layer is done. Consider pre-heating the glass just a little - 30C is good with a hair dryer if the glue stick isn't enough. Clamp the glass to the bed with large "paper clips". The kind that can clamp 80 pages of paper.

pictures???

i need to see what do you mean

i have buy ultimaker I because i have see this great 3d printer in action in London last november...but i don't have the same results :)

every type of upgrade i want to do,no problem

thank you another time for your support

the glass change the acrylic bed??

I think he means to lay it on top of the acrylic, and hold it with binder clips. Then print on that surface with a little glue.

Yes. Place glass on top of existing print bed. Use glass small enough not to cover leveling screws.

The purpose of the glue is because PLA doesn't stick well to cold glass. You need the glue.

Then use something like this to attach glass to bed:

http://forums.reprap.org/file.php?263,file=18853

Ok but i want to know if example i download other samples,each samples need different setup or not??

i want to know if is there something wrong in my ultimaker setup or is only a problem to know better which sample i want to print...

,each samples need different setup or not??

Yes. Each will need different settings. You will slowly get very good at knowing what settings to use.

Yes, you need different settings for different types of print. In general, most things will print reasonably well at 0.15mm layers, 50mm/s, 220ºC, 0.8mm shell, 20% infill. Take that as your starting point, and print something. Then try varying the speed, etc, and see what happens. Keep notes and take photos as you do it. You just need to gain some experience, so you can tell how to tweak settings to get the very best results, in the minimum amount of time.

Judging from your photos, I don't think there's anything too much wrong with your printer - you just need to learn the best settings to use.

now i understand.....in stand ultimaker in London,colorfabb the printing was perfect but have the secret.....:)))

now i trying with shell thickness 1.2 and after i show the results...

thank you very much i want to use this affordable technology to change carbon parts with abs,now i try with pla and after i change with abs more stronger....

For ABS, you'll really need a heated bed, as it is harder to get it to stick, and it contracts as it cools, and so warps quite a lot.

yes i read this in some post and now i want your personal opinion...

Last november i was going to London to 3d printing show i have see for first time the 3d printer in action,a lot of stand with different company.

I talked with some sellers and say to me the same things...is easy buy my 3d printer,download the sample stl and print all you desire...

But here i have the confirm that each sample need a different setup and i ask to you is a right marketing???

I want to mean is not the realy situation...

I learn only here good words and suggest,now i know perfectly with a help of members with a lot of experience can i take know how for a perfect printing.

i can wrong but 3d printer is not a television buy and watch and is the type of message that some company have sended to me....

what do you think???

3D printers are not typical domestic appliances. Not yet. Maybe in future they will be. But it's not really there yet. Especially for the filament extrusion printers that are in the sub-$4000 market, like UM, Makerbot, etc. And some companies do tend to promote their printers as if they are, and that's a shame.

In truth, some of these printers need more maintenance, some need less. Some (like UM) are pretty tolerant machines that will give reasonable results over a wide range of objects and settings, while others are picky machines that need carefully optimized settings to give any results at all.

All of them will give better results when you learn how to use them properly, and to tune the settings according to what you are printing. But that is equally true of traditional manufacturing processes like milling, injection moulding, etc etc. All of them have their strengths and limitations, and the object being made needs to be appropriate to the process, and then the settings need to be tweaked to get the best results.

But so long as the object obeys some basic rules (like not trying to extrude in mid-air without support) then, in general, you can indeed download or create a model, and 3D print it. As with anything, you need to invest a little bit of time learning how to use it right. I guess the question of 'ease' is all relative. Slicing and printing a 3D model is a heck of a lot simpler than any of the alternative ways of turning a digital design into a tangible part.

you have reason 100%......for me now is there a wrong message to clients.....the business of 3 printer increase day by day,a lot of company enter in this sector because is there a great interesting because 5 years ago was impossible to print a toy or other object at home now is possible.

But i want to say to send the right message to clients,buy 3d printer take the right time to build your object and with time and experience you will have great results,but not buy download and no problem easy to print is not correct i think.

my personal opinion..