Cura only slicing top layer

Tru7h

Posted · Cura only slicing top layer

Hi All,

First post here, I've searched for an answer here and found nothing conclusive.

I'm working with a fresh install of Cura 4.6.1 on Windows 10 Pro. Encountered this issue after a couple successful prints, and uninstalled/reinstalled Cura fresh. Issue remains.

Cura seems to be slicing and generating correct g-code , but preview shows ONLY the TOP layer printing. The actual text of the g-code looks okay to my illiterate eye, or at least there seems to be way more there than just a top layer.

Physically at the printer we have the same issue. It homes, warms, then reports 100% print completion, as it's apparently too smart to just print in the air.

I'm not sure how this could be a settings issue, as I've literally changed nothing since my last prints, and the issue remains after a fresh install. I'm completely stuck here. Attached a copy of the sliced g-code and a screenshot of the part in preview mode. Please help.

Screenshot (3).png

e5plus ddrvmnt.gcode

Posted (edited) · Cura only slicing top layer
    2 hours ago, Tru7h said:

I'm not sure how this could be a settings issue

you only see one layer because you have "selected only the last layer". at the bottom you have the progress of the currently selected layer while to select the layer you have to use the bar on the right1643450839_Screenshot(3).thumb.png.03e70708148114109ac7858b980c4c9b.png.54135722be5e9175d8e107cfd9751933.png

Edited by FoNzY
    • Like 1

15 hours ago, FoNzY said:

you only see one layer because you have "selected only the last layer". at the bottom you have the progress of the currently selected layer while to select the layer you have to use the bar on the right1643450839_Screenshot(3).thumb.png.03e70708148114109ac7858b980c4c9b.png.54135722be5e9175d8e107cfd9751933.png

That would have been my answer too, if the problem was only the preview simulation.

But as @Tru7h wrote:

18 hours ago, Tru7h said:

Physically at the printer we have the same issue. It homes, warms, then reports 100% print completion, as it's apparently too smart to just print in the air.

there must be another issue. But unfortunately, I can't imagine what's going wrong here.

Regards

The gcode seems to all be right, having loaded it into http://gcode.ws/ to check it, its showing all the layers as normal. Even loading it into Cura is showing it all fine.

Have you tired to slice and print another file thats not from the same stl to see if the same error happens?

Yes, tried multiple stl files, including the ubiquitous Benchy straight from the headwaters.

Thanks all for the advice and head scratching. Things seem to be working again. Thanks also for the good link with gcode.ws I hadn't seen that before.

Honestly I'm not 100% sure what caused the problem. BEST GUESS here is I had a screwey SD card, which would make sense. Good printer? Check. Good GCode? Check. Troubleshooting says the interface between the two is suspect, and I should have gone there immediately. So if anybody else sees this issue, reformat your card and or get one that isn't cheapo.