Cura not connecting to printer

breezy2u

Posted (edited) · Cura not connecting to printer

Edit: apparently there are a couple other posts in this thread saying this exact thing but more concisely. Oh well. Maybe the specifics here will help another Longer LK4 Pro user.

Alright well this is a billion days late for most of the people that probably flew through here looking for an answer to this, but for anyone else that comes across this via web search maybe I can help with my experience. Created an account just to post this.

Had a ender clone (Longer LK4 Pro) sitting around for a year or more that wasn't being used in my office and decided to take it home and give it some TLC. Figured a firmware update was part of that. I couldn't get Cura to see the printer so that I could update it, but then I checked the SD card that came with the thing and saw this:
image.png.ade6c95bc56bcf37dab7a68498451c32.png
How interesting a directory named "5.Device Driver".   I had previously already noticed that the printer showed up as an unknown device in device manager so this seemed like a good lead.
In that directory was this:
image.png.07ba8385623604936f5d4f03df91f63f.png

Setup.exe I recall not actually working or doing much, but then I opened "Reference Image.jpg":
image.png.c68a37a756dd899dc429553b60d71cff.png
Ok well I can't read most of that but it looks a lot like what I see when I run "DRVSETUP64.exe":
image.png.5c1067cb1aac9c6fc81c4bbbc271e2e0.png
So clearly this is how I'm supposed to install drivers for Windows. Anyway, this ran for a moment and upon completion and restarting Cura (I'm using the latest version despite the LK4 Pro's directions saying 15.04.3) and Now not only does Windows detect it, but Cura can now install firmware files manually (automatic still grayed out though).

From there I just followed the instructions that came on the device's SD card and installed the latest firmware from Longer3D.

Tl;dr - If you don't see your 3D printer show up as a device in Windows Device Manager, you're probably missing a driver for the thing that doesn't happen automagically as with most modern devices or via Windows Update. Check the SD card your device came with, or see if the manufacturer has one for download on their website.

So that was fun.

Edited by ridokilos
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
Posted · Cura not connecting to printer
On 6/21/2021 at 7:13 PM, Sevasuslik said:

In file located at Ultimate Cura -> Contents/Resources/USBPrinting/AutoDetectBaudJob.py in line 74 in if statement you should replace and with or:

if b"ok" in line or b"T:" in line: # or instead of and

Works for my A8, thanks!!! with old vercions of Cura works fine, only with 4.x I have these problem.

• 3 weeks later...
    On 9/13/2021 at 5:42 AM, GregValiant said:

Let's list what we have here:

1. A 3rd party printer.
    2. A nameless 4th party mainboard.
    3. A 5th party that installed the mainboard.
    4. And you want to change the firmware to something that has a number 1.1.5.  Do we have a 6th party - Klipper, RepRap, JYers, or something different?

The port needs the correct USB to Serial driver.  Typically that is a CH340 driver.  If you are working with Windows 10 then in Device Manager under Ports (COM & LPT) there should have a line like "USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM7)".  That works with a lot of Marlin mainboards but there is no way to tell if it will work with your mainboard.

The best thing to do is go back to the manufacturer of your new mainboard and find out from them what you need.  A lot of mainboards want the FIRMWARE.BIN file on the SD card and will not update via USB.

Indeed worked for me! Thx! I installed the drivers windows 10 gave me optional updates and then it did indeed work!

• 2 months later...

I have tried to upgrade firmware on a CR20 pro, but error ,there is no connection with printer, when I go to market place / installed USB printing ultimaker B V can upgrade firmware , connect the usb cable the printer switches on so it seems the cable is ok, what am I doing wrong?. can you please help,

Regards Brian

Posted (edited) · Cura not connecting to printer

When the printer mainboard sees the 5volt power at the USB port it will reboot.  That is hardwired as an external reset.  It doesn't mean that the printer can communicate with the printer.  Some USB cables that come with phones are for charging only.  There is no data capability.  In that case you would see the printer re-boot because it sees the 5v coming in, but no data can transfer.  If you have USB printing enabled there is a box on the Monitor page that allows you to send a command to the printer.  With the printer turned on you can try to send G28 and see if the printer properly Auto-Homes.

You can try installing Pronterface/Printrun and see if you can communicate using it's interface.  Most of the time it's a driver problem though.  With the printer plugged into the computer Windows Device Manager should see the printer and note that it is a USB-SERIAL device.  If it doesn't then it is definitely a driver issue.

Greg's Rule #2:  NEVER upgrade an operating system.

Edited by GregValiant