What info would you like to see on the screen during a print

Link

Posted · What info would you like to see on the screen during a print

So you're saying you would like a hard-core tech screen with as much data as humanly possible? Interesting thought 🤔

Can you name your top 10 data you would like to see?  

All, i know we have all expressed for more info on the screen during a print on the S5/S3 etc, hopefully @sj3fk3 can get this moving !, can we list the items we would like to see. Initial ones i can think of:-

Current layer number (asked for many many times) 

Print speed

bed temp

nozzle(s) temp

fan speed

flow

Also if touching this items on screen leads to a way to adjust them would be good.

Hi @Link, you probably want to place a comment in that thread you linked to, linking to this thread. So they're notified about you asking for input. Otherwise they probably won't be aware of this discussion. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · What info would you like to see on the screen during a print
    3 hours ago, Link said:

@sj3fk3 if we would start with all the settings in thexistingng 'tune' menu along with layer number and all displayed as real time values that would be a really great start. Thanks

Edited by SandervG
    fixed layout
    • Like 1

16 hours ago, Link said:

I do want to clarify that we have a very cramped roadmap with higher priority things we need to do first. While we really like the idea of this screen I cannot promise you will see it this year. However if we find some spare time, we will try to squeeze it in.

ok, thanks for responding @sj3fk3

As you will have seen from the multiple threads on this forum it is a highly requested feature, previously we have been told that the UI guys in UM would not let the feature progress due to their desire to keep the UI clean. But hopefully you agree seeing these parameters is essential when debugging issues and optimising profiles. It will be such a massive benefit !

Many thanks for your support

• Like 1

I have another request - show more info but rather in the Monitor tab in Cura and/or in the browser based Print Jobs tab. It would help to see temperatures (bed+hotend) and material remaining (at least when using Ultimaker material). This could be shown in a popup window when clicking or tapping the nozzle number or the build plate icon. Showing how much material is left would help diagnose remotely (be able to see why the machine paused or if the material will run out) and temperatures would help monitor the heat up and cooldown phases, also would give a way to confirm that the basic print settings are correct without actually being beside the printer. Obviously these things are just nice-to-haves and less important to me than the other limitations we are currently experiencing but IMO it would be a simple task to add this to the web interface.

image.thumb.png.16cb62d3c37febcb819681c147888359.png

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
    On 7/22/2020 at 8:05 AM, sj3fk3 said:

I do want to clarify that we have a very cramped roadmap with higher priority things we need to do first. While we really like the idea of this screen I cannot promise you will see it this year. However if we find some spare time, we will try to squeeze it in.

Hi @sj3fk3 - don't suppose you have any update on this ?

thanks

A cramped roadmap is not always bad or negative, it also means that the business is moving forward faster than expected. But better is such a way than the other way around 🙂 

On 9/24/2020 at 6:01 PM, Link said:

Hi @sj3fk3 - don't suppose you have any update on this ?

thanks

Update: I'm very much pretty sure, we will not see this before 2021. But, we are going to go forward on this, so it's not forgotten.

13 hours ago, sj3fk3 said:

Update: I'm very much pretty sure, we will not see this before 2021. But, we are going to go forward on this, so it's not forgotten.

OK, many thanks, very much looking forward to it. 

Hi guys, having upgraded from an Ultimaker 2+ to the ultimake S3 i was very surprised as to the poor on screen displays, yellow text on white background to say "Warning hot surface", and when swapping out filament or nozzle, white text on grey background, um not verty visable , so a user defined colour page would be useful so you can colourise the text so it can actually be readable from more than 10cm away. Come on Ultimaker surely the UX you've used can be made better. 

I've also attached a UPS to the printed to prevent failed prints from power outs,  as the S3 can't do the same as a Creality $400 machine. ??

And yes more info on screen, of the prints progress, even a supplementary set of screen over and above the ones on the machine. I undersatnd is a reliable ( unless there is a power cut ) professioanl machine but knowledge of layer height, nozzle temp etc on a suplimentary screen can't be all that taxing for the software developers. 

Sorry its a semi rant, but yes guys a lot could be done to improve this $4000 professioanl printer, without any hardware mods. 

Please Mr moderator pass this onto to Ultimakers software developers, regardless whether you allow it to be on the forum 

I'm curious as to why we have a "skip cooldown" function. Every time I've tried to use it it remains greyed out so I have to wait for everything to cool down before starting another print anyways. 

Hi All, Im the designer on the S-line printers and responsible for the behaviour and functioning of the display interface.

@Link was right, we do indeed want to keep the UI clean. However, the main reason was and is to first make an easy to use product for all users such as average office employees, students, operators, engineers and managers. This resulted in visual and text based explanatory touch interface. We try to prevent technical Jargon and details which increased the cognitive load for the majority. Now that we UI is somewhat mature we do want to allow user to have such technical details available as @sj3fk3 mentioned.

@jkcz @Link @everyone

To make sure I come up with the right design I'd like to understand the reasoning for having this information a bit better. So i'd like to understand about your deeper motivation why you would like to see this. Do you have insecurities that would be taken away or what kind of conclusions would you like to take by having such info?

I really would like to learn from this and I hope you guys can help me out!
    Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited) · What info would you like to see on the screen during a print
    6 hours ago, Montani said:

Hi All, Im the designer on the S-line printers and responsible for the behaviour and functioning of the display interface.

@Link was right, we do indeed want to keep the UI clean. However, the main reason was and is to first make an easy to use product for all users such as average office employees, students, operators, engineers and managers. This resulted in visual and text based explanatory touch interface. We try to prevent technical Jargon and details which increased the cognitive load for the majority. Now that we UI is somewhat mature we do want to allow user to have such technical details available as @sj3fk3 mentioned.

@jkcz @Link @everyone

To make sure I come up with the right design I'd like to understand the reasoning for having this information a bit better. So i'd like to understand about your deeper motivation why you would like to see this. Do you have insecurities that would be taken away or what kind of conclusions would you like to take by having such info?

Thanks!

Hi @Montani thanks for progressing this. 

To add some colour for you. The sort of info we are looking for is really useful (if not nearly essential) when optimising and debugging prints, print profiles and materials.  As an example, you have a print which has a certain printable feature at a certain layer height and you want to be able to view that layer being printed, at present you have no idea which layer is being printed and when the layer in question is coming up. 

Or you are watching your print and notice a artifact appear, you want to know which layer that was so you can check tool path in Cura.

Alternatively you are tuning a new profile for a new material or having non perfect results with existing materials and you want to tweet the nozzle temps without having to keep scrolling to the 'tune' page. You might notice that the print doesn't look right so you want to slow it down a bit and also note the layer height you made that change at. Again all without having to jump between the tune menu (and even then you can't see layer height). You want to tweek the nozzle temp to try different temperatures at different layer heights to improve quality. 

Hopefully these help and are just some of the examples which we all face when working to get the best prints possible. Also one thing which is missing is the ability to spin the part cooling fans up on their own. On the 2+ you could activate the fans to check their function without starting a print. On the S5 you will never know if a fan is stuck or blocked as the fans can only ever activate when a print is running and the print head moving. 

In terms if the menu itself, it would be great to have a 3rd screen you can swipe to after the remaining time and the picture of the model screens. On that screen would be essentlaly similar to the tune menu but with live data on the front. For example, nozzle temps, layer number(new), bed temp, speed, flow etc. Then pressing on these values allows you to modify them or even better you have a +/- option next to each one so you can adjust from a single view. 

By placing all this data in a separate screen users can choose to view it or not. 

I appreciate the need to keep the UI clean but 3d printing isn't quite plug and play and any time some level of tweaking/debugging/optimising is required you need access to this type of data in a live view. 

Hope this helps, happy to provide more examples. 

Thanks 

Edited by Link
    • Like 1

Thanks this definitely helps to understand you motivations. I will take this feedback up in the development process of improving this feature and DM you with a proposal. 

If others are curious feel free to reach out to me as well. Im eager to learn from users and especially from our community :)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Montani said:

@jkcz @Link @everyone

Thanks!

In general I agree with the simplified concept, the only thing I would add to the main Printing screen would be layer number (but I'm sure there are some other good ideas out there.)

My requests have more to do with the info available in the Digital Factory, not sure if that's your field but it would be a huge help to be able to tap or mouse over a nozzle number or the build plate and see what the temperature is to give a better overview of the heatup or cooldown cycle or to make sure the correct parameters are selected.

A proper runtime statistics page somewhere in the machine settings tab would also be extremely helpful, what we have to do today is count up the total hours for each separate nozzle in order to know how much each machine has run. The data in Digital Factory is very unreliable since it gets reset by every reset done to the machine (which needs to be done approximately every second firmware update). Another thing which would help a lot is to lengthen the reprintable print history in the Digital Factory webpage, as soon as you have more than 2 printers running you can't go back very far in history to reprint successful jobs.

I really like the idea that @Link has though with the 3rd screen for most of the additional information, I wouldn't use it much but there are times when you really would love to have everything in one place without having to jump all over to various pages and menus.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 1:58 PM, Link said:

So you're saying you would like a hard-core tech screen with as much data as humanly possible? Interesting thought 🤔

Can you name your top 10 data you would like to see?  

All, i know we have all expressed for more info on the screen during a print on the S5/S3 etc, hopefully @sj3fk3 can get this moving !, can we list the items we would like to see. Initial ones i can think of:-

Current layer number (asked for many many times) 

Print speed

bed temp

nozzle(s) temp

fan speed

flow

Also if touching this items on screen leads to a way to adjust them would be good.

Basically all the things Ultimaker 1 and 2 offered more than a decade ago ?
    The "tune" feature saved quite a lot of prints from quality issues, now they need to be aborted.